Home Buying in Lake Nona>Question Details

Gary H, Home Buyer in Sarasota, FL

My family and I, are still interested in moving to Florida from here in England. Me, perhaps more so than my wife, who still needs some convincing.

Asked by Gary H, Sarasota, FL Thu Apr 11, 2013

We have a vacation booked to visit Florida from 16 July 2013 until 4 August 2013. I am hoping to use some of this time to finally convince my wife once and for all that the move would be so right. The last week of this vacation we spending in Clearwater and perhaps the week before that we are thinking of staying in Sarasota. The first three nights we are booked in to stay at The Royal Pacific hotel in Orlando, we promised our two daughters that we would revisit there and spend a couple of days at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

All this basically means, that we have approximately 3 night’s accommodation to find. And I am hoping to find a property that we could stay in, that would give us a good idea of what it would be like to live over there permanently. I obviously do not mind if we have to pay to stay in this accommodation, i just want my wife and children to see how great it would be, if we made that move.

Many thanks

Answers

16
The areas you have mentioned are not zoned for short term rental. Try VRBO.com Realistically you're not going to find a lot of holiday homes looking for 3 day rental, it's a weekly business. Sorry.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 11, 2013
By the way we spent the first xmas dinner with our neighbours who had a big gathering, it was like the united nations, there was chinese, belgium, my daughter who is spanish, frank our neighbour who is swiss and a scottish lady and a few americans it was great, we even rode our bikes to the beach whilst the men did the washing up,,,,oh and by the way we introduced our new american friends to yorkshire pudding,

If you have now found your location i would be doing research on the visa, we have a british friend who bought a dog kennels just east of I75 and that got them their visa and home all wrapped into one

I lived in spain previously to US and believe me I long to be back in Sarasota every day,

good luck with convincing your wife but make sure you have the visa before uprooting your daughters, be wary of the E2 visa as they may not renew if the gov don't think you have increased your turnover/profit or employment.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 13, 2013
As a fellow Brit, If you would like any advice on moving to Sarasota I would be delighted to help. We went there in 2010 to buy investment property and feel in love with it so decided to move there. We had already done a huge amount of real estate research but just needed to do the next steps.

Probably the most important thing to focus on is your kids education, how old are your girls? I would stay stick to south sarasota and if they are HS age stick to riverview high if they are academically minded Pine View school is one of the best in the whole of USA

We've pretty much encountered everything on our journey so far, including foreign national lending immigation attorneys, transporting animals, contractors, buying and selling real estate, the county, FEMA, accountants, lawyers, utility companies, opening bank accounts, we've had one steep learning curve, but all worth it

Unfortunately we have had to come back for a few years to look after our parents but as soon as my sister in law is back in the UK we will be back

My best advice is move over in the summer and rent for six months, from Jan the rentals are sky high, you should get a decent house for $1500 per month, in fact my old neighbour on siesta key rents theres out for that much and it a a pool and a bike ride to the village and beach perfect for exploring and good school district.

If you want to send me an email, propertylocate@gmail.com, I have lived all over the world and in my mind it's the best place in the world...good luck, Sarah
Hi Gary,

Hi Gary, If you are interested in moving to the East Orlando area or Seminole County, this is my area of expertise. You haven't mentioned the ages of your children, if you are looking for the best schools they are located in Seminole County. Oviedo again has been voted one of the top ten cities to raise a family in the USA . It is located minutes to Downtown Orlando, 5 miles from The University of Central Florida. Close enough to visit the theme parks but away from all the tourist traffic

Eileen Eskew.
Thanks Eileen for your response, my children are now 14 and 13 so it is a difficult age for them as they are both at high school here in the UK. In September my eldest will be into her final 2 years. So obviously timing a move is going to be paramount important. If we did move to Florida, how would my girls stand with regards to college fees etc? Over here, you only really have to start paying for an education if going to university.

As i have being for a number of years, i am so keen on "making the switch", it is just my wife who keeps coming up with stumbling block after stumbling block ;( The other night, it was, well who are we going to have Christmas dinner with OMG! OMG! Having just returned to th UK after our glorious 3 week US vacation, i was hoping for a far more interested wife and "other half". My line about how far more relaxed the American people are (probably something to do with the amount of sun), appears to be wearing thin.
Flag Tue Aug 13, 2013
Hi, if you are still going to be around, call me pls as I do sell primarily vacation homes near the Disney area and some other theme parks, which generate the income you may need on rentals to cover your carrying costs.
If you are still in the area, call me pls. I have 7 vacation homes to show you ...They are rented out and booked solid.

I remain,

Yours sincerely,
Hazel Heyer, REALTOR - SFR (Short Sale and Foreclosure Resources)
Keller Williams at the Lakes (offices at Celebration / Kissimmee) Florida 34747
Sells homes/vacation homes/ investment/income properties around Disney World, Universal Studios, Seaworld and all other Attractions in beautiful Orlando and commercial properties (e.g. boutique hotels and apartment bldgs) in Florida

Cell: (407) 301 8516 or Tel : (863) 424 1712
WEB: http://WWW.BuyPropertiesinFlorida.com or http://www.hazelheyer.com
EMAIL: hazel_heyer@hotmail.com (main) or hazel@buypropertiesinFlorida.com
Skype: Hazymouse
Hi Hazel, unfortunately we are back to "feeling fed-up" now that we have returned to the UK ;( During our 3 week Florida stay we did have a drive around the areas of Dr.Phillips and Lake Nona. Unfortunately though, we did not plan it that well and had no access to the gated communities. So all we saw was a "not so nice" side of Dr Phillips and Laureate Park in Lake Nona. Oh and not forgetting Medical city.

During our final week when staying in Clearwater, we did visit Feather Sound which looked real nice and all the houses we saw there were great. I did find myself thinking aloud "oh, i can really see us living here". The houses there had a lot of character and although again we had no access to the gated communities of Feather Sound, we didn't really need to.

Oh and another thing that i am constantly being reminded of, is, "but we have no business, so what are we going to do about permanent visa's". Despite my reassurances to make it possible, some just fail to be convinced! ;o(
Flag Tue Aug 13, 2013
Hi Gary,

Which part of Florida are you interested in, there are areas and homes to accommodate all types of needs. I have a lot of experience in relocation and work primarily with buyers in Central Florida. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have and guide you through the process. You can read more about me on my website: EileenEskew@kwrealty.com

Eileen Eskew, P.A
Hi Gary,

We live In Newbury, Berkshire and recently purchased a new build in Kissimmee.

We worked alongside Lisa Arcia from The Flamingo Group she was amazing and very knowledge.
Lisa would be delighted to meet with you, during your stay and show you around the area.

If you would like Lisa to give you a call, she would be more than happy to help you find a property for this holiday.

The Flamingo Group website is http://www.ThePinkFlamingo.info
If you quote my name Eila Orr for reference.

Kind regards,

Eila Orr
Let me say I believe you are approaching this from the right perspective by considering this both a vacation and an information gathering trip.

There are many wonderful location in Florida...far too many to comment on here. But if you are lucky enough to find yourself in a premier location, you won't have to sell anything to anyone....the area will accomplish that for you.

With this said, when in Sarasota, you must frequent Siesta Beach, truly one of the most unique areas in the world. A day trip to Venice, might help if you are seeking a little slower pace and a small town feel.

Don't push the area, just be smart and choose your locations and how you spend your time intelligently....the results may surprise you!

Bill Eckler
Michael Saunders & Company
941-408-5363
billeckler@michaelsaunders.com
you have a lot to lean Gary . I can help with that. let us presume for one minute that your wife will be happy to move here. HAve you looked into what visa you would use ? IT is not posssible just to move here and get a job. I moved from Weymouth England 13 years ago after a full career in the British Army, and it to me 12 months to find the right person to help me. But when I did it went like clock work. Please feel free to send me your phone number. alan@FrontlineFloridaRealty.com http://www.frontlinefloridarealty.com and we can have a chat
HI Gary:

Below is the link to a lot of furnished properties for rent in central Florida:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/florida/r30

I have a lot of clients from UK (feel free to read my reviews) and would be more than happy to help you find a house, hopefully if your wife decides to stay here in Sunny Florida :)

Abraham Bidhendi
Top Producer Realtor® with over 26 years of experience
Awarded as Exit's TOP Buyer side Transactions for the State of Florida
We have had 142 successful transactions during the past year alone.
Exit Realty Access, LLC
Direct: (407) 744-2533
Fax: (407) 444-9925
Email: REOsofflorida@msn.com
Website: http://abidhendi.orlandopropertiesonline.com
Kissimmee Office: 391 N. Main St., Kissimmee, FL 34741
Altamonte Springs Office: 660 Palm Springs Dr., Suite D, Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
Hi Gary, you are right, Florida is a marvelous place to live. Have you considered the SW coast, specifically the Cape Coral, Ft Myers, Naples area. It is a lovely area, lots of shopping, cultural events and of course, the beautiful beaches. I'm sure we can find you a place to stay.

Marge Bennett
RE/MAX Realty Group
239-560-4159
Marge@MargeBennett.com
http://www.MargeBennett.com
Hi Mark,

Everyone is correct about the short term rentals. However I have a great video that I think your wife would love to see. Also I would be able to give you a tour of the various areas to give you an idea of what its like to live in the Orlando aream not just homes but the lifestyle as well. Take a minute to look at my profile to learn a little more about me. There is so much to the Orlando area that I think if your wife and family can see they will be in love with it. Moving can be stressful not to mention moving from overseas. I have personally made that move myself so I can shed some light on that processs. Feel free to call me or email me and I will help you in any way I can.

Jennifer Barker
Exit Realty Central\
407-334-4856
jenniferbarkerrealestate@gmail.com
Hi Gary, you are not going to be able to stay in Nona or Dr Phillips, neither of them are zoned for the short term rental you would need.

I emigrated here from the UK 4 years ago now, no intention of going back. I live in Celebration which is South side of Orlando.

I have a very close friend who owns property down near Sarasota, so I visit there very often and also know it pretty well.

I am happy to meet up with you if you think it may help, and you can pick my brains on the process, and the areas.

The two areas you would like to stay would both be very good places to live, so you have that bit right so far, but there are many other places as well.

Drop me an email deanking@iris-international.com
Gary it would be my pleasure to help you and your family the same way I helped them:

http://youtu.be/UevgZDcE3ZA

Feel free to contact me at 407-777-8883 or email german@cfreonline.com for a free, no obligation consultation.

German M Guardiola, Realtor - MBA
Look into Windsor hills, http://www.fivestarvacationhomes.com/

Is a great property management that offers nightly stays in a great area close to Disney. If you like the place after stay feel free to contact me I specialize in this neighborhood.
If staying in a property for approximately 3 night’s is possible, the two areas that we are interested in, are either Lake Nona or Dr Phillips. Could you please let me know if you have any accommodation available.
Gary, they are all right. This is as close as you can get to Dr Phillips, short term stay, that is not a hotel: http://www.vrbo.com/3497447ha#ownerprofile
Let me know if I can be of service.
Enjoy your stay!
Flag Thu Apr 11, 2013