Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Stuart Welsh, Home Buyer in Bartonville, TX

My daughter is attending UT. What neighborhood make sense to consider buying a house for her to occupy and share with a tenant?

Asked by Stuart Welsh, Bartonville, TX Sun Aug 11, 2013

This house may actually end up being a down size house for my wife and myself in a few years so that should be a consideration.

Answers

21
Hi Stuart,
I would strongly consider the Crestview neighborhood. It is on all of the Metro routes and is easy access to UT. Additionally, it is a neighborhood that is receiving more and more attention from various developers. There are some great restaurants that have sprouted up along Anderson Lane. It is easily accessible for professionals working in the tech industries in North Austin and is a quick commute to downtown Austin. I think it provides excellent appreciation, rental, and lifestyle benefits. Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers,
Steve York
512-577-9675
I would suggest working with local realtor so you can get educated about the area and know your options.

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
we have a condo near 2222 and it rents very easy, is a quiet community in a very desirable area in the city not only for college students but also for families. It is 10 min. drive to UT.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
There are several different areas around town that are good areas for people attending UT. Many of these areas are served by the Night Owl Bus Line and the Campus Shuttle Bus Line.

West Campus, is the most convenient to the University, and walkable. It is also by far the most expensive, and tends to attract party goers. If you are considering living in the house after she graduates, then Hyde Park, or Allandale are probably your best options. Hyde Park is a student-friendly neighborhood that is away from the partying in West Campus. This area is roughly north of campus and tends to have a lot of graduate students and professors as residents. It is also where the UT Intramural Fields are. Houses there tend to be "classic" houses, and many of them are zoned for either duplexes or garage apartments.

Another area is East Riverside Dr. Right now there are many apartment complexes out there that cater to students, and the area is quickly undergoing a transformation. The older housing units are being torn down and being replaced with new, modern construction. There are some good deals in that area, and in addition to being on the UT Shuttle, that area also offers easy access to the River.

Please call me if you'd like some more information about these neighborhoods.

Jordan Gouger
512-693-9297
The driving factor for the right answer here is in "price range" and "size".

Since a downsize for you folks in in consideration, youll want to take a strategic approach to this with the lense of a good roommate floorplan, as well as being functional for your future needs.

Houses surrounding UT area range from $250-$450 per square foot, and they get less expensive as you go further away.

Please call me when you get a chance. I work with out of town buyers and university students. For out of town buyers, I do detailed videos on site of properties that best qualify to meet your needs. This saves you trips to Austin and simplifies the process for you in more ways than one.

Shawn
512-663-4686
Http://ShawnMon.com
Stuart,

All the answers here are great! The neighborhoods of Clarksville, Hydepark, Crestview, Rosedale and Brentwood are all great and will easily lease well after your daughter graduates. Depending on your family lifestyle and needs you don't necessarily have to purchase in a specific neighborhood. Location certainly matters but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Take a look at this U.T. shuttle and route descriptions if your daughter plans on using public transportation for school.
http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/shuttle/index.php

You may also consider parts of the city that are up and coming as a place to purchase an investment property like Austin's 78721 area.

Have questions for me personally? I'd love to help!
512-773-5735
mgalvan@kw.com

Best of luck!
Melissa Galvan
KW Realtor
Try looking on zip code 78731. It is close to UT , has transportation to UT and it is a great neighborhood with high resale value.

Rosy Orozco. 512.573.0883
Austin Hills and Views realty
Stuart,

There are many neighborhoods to consider- especially if you and your wife consider moving there later.
Clarksville, Hydepark, Crestview, Rosedale and Brentwood are all wonderful areas to consider north of the river. If you want more walk-ability for you and your wife you might consider Bouldin, Zilker or Travis Hieghts which are all just south of the river.

All of these areas are super in my opinion, each offering it's own different neighborhood feel. For your daughter- she too would be comfortable in each of these areas. She would also have great access to UT from all of these areas- though staying north of the river will keep commute times to a minimum.

I would suggest determining you budget and work from these neighborhoods at that point.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any specific questions about these areas.

Cathy

cathy@douglasresidential.com
512-431-4823
Stuart,

In my opinion, the answer is Hyde Park. As a UT student many years ago, I lived in Hyde Park for 3 years. In a lot of parts, it is walkable to the campus, and there are shuttles going constantly during the day.

In addition, I think this could be a great area to downsize to in Austin. If this area does not meet your budget, I would be happy to discuss other alternatives. You can visit my website's home page where there is a quick link to all available homes in Hyde Park.

Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588
Hi -

Every neighborhood in Austin has a different feel. Stuff that is close to UT has more of a college feel, but it's not a place where I see a lot of retired couples. The places with empty nesters don't have a lot of 20 somethings renting around.

But I think there are a few affordable areas that may be possibilities for you - A lot of the places mentioned by previous posters are good options, but can be quite pricey.

Ideally, I'd love to chat with you on the phone or by email to learn what kind of budget you have, as well as the kind of lifestyle you are looking for (something active, or more quiet, or maybe a combo in between).

Cheers

Eric

-----------------------------
e::Eric@EricEstate.com
p::512.712,5842
g::Google+
w::Austin Real Estate
t::@EricEstate
f::ericestate

A JB Goodwin Agent
-----------------------------
Hello Stuart,

There are several neighborhoods within striking distance to UT. Many of the aforementioned areas are great, along with East Austin, which is quickly becoming a great alternative to the various, traditional campus neighborhoods.
Hi Stuart,
as a former longhorn myself i can tell you that West campus, The Triangle, Hyde Park, The Highlands even or the Drag are all good proximity to campus. We can talk about what's most important, i assume you want your little girl as safe as possible while still having a good community to engage with and maybe an active social life of restaurants and parks nearby.
Feel free to call / text or email me to discuss specifics. Location, price, amenities, and how soon etc...
Have a great evening!

Felix UT- Grad, realtor
c: 512-900-2690
e: alonzo.felix@gmail.com

pauly•presley•Realty
http://www.Austinurbandigs.com
Hi Stuart,

Your family has goals, you will want to achieve. Austin is an incredible city. However, not all opportunities and areas will offer the same long and short term benefits to your family and your goals.

- If you have time this week to talk briefly, I would enjoy the opportunity and will make some time to talk with you to get more acquainted with your families overall goals.

- I am a very active Realtor in today's market, helping buyers buy every day. I have successfully contributed to over 1400 closed transactions over the last 13 years. This experience can bring you a great deal of value in your home search and property acquisition. Please feel free to call or text me at 512-507-5142.
Hello Stuart,

Parents buy housing in all areas around Austin for their children to attend UT. Whether or not your student drives to campus or rides the UT buses may be one factor. Price range will be another.

As a real estate broker, architect & builder I offer a unique perspective for my clients. I see potential in a home with good bones and can offer vision to improve the property if desired. Getting my clients the most "bang for the buck" is my forte.

My services are free to buyer clients (commission will be paid by the seller).

Call me to provide more details and we can discuss next steps.

Claire McIntyre, Architect / Real Estate Broker / Builder
512 699 9912
MMI McIntyre Associates
Real Estate Brokerage
http://www.mmirealestate.com
claire@mmirealestate.com
McIntyre & McIntyre Inc
Architecture / Engineering
Project Management
http://www.mmibuildings.com
Stuart, I have helped quite a few parents find housing for their UT students in and around central Austin. I would need to know more information about your short and long-term goals, such as price range, rental plans for a roommate, etc. If you would like to give me a call I will be happy to discuss your particular situation and see what I can do to help. I have to be one of the top Agents in the greater Austin area, represent buyers like you at no cost, and have some excellent lenders who can pre-approve you at no cost and guide you in the right direction financially. Feel free to contact me during the day anytime from 10 AM to 8 PM central standard time and I'll be happy to do what I can to assist!

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Call 512-261-4415
Consider reviewing the UT Shuttle areas covered would be a good start.

Step 2 might be knowing more about student home loan programs that
parents and immediate family members can participate with.

Any questions, let me know. Thanks.
Hi Stuart,

How are you? It really depends on so many things. Central Austin is always the best, Crestview is also a sweet neighborhood. So many here that are good with the shuttles and close to amenities. Also, the Mueller neighborhood is new and they are supposedly going to have shuttle service soon.

If you would like to contact me directly, I would be more than happy to elaborate.

If only my parents would have done the same for me when I was in college!

Angele Moyseos, Broker Associate
Realty Austin
angele@realtyaustin.com
512.466.8252
Stuart,
Hello from Austin. I am a former Wal-Mart guy (1979-1999) turned Realtor. I would like to discuss your short and long term plans in order to help you properly. There are several areas to consider and some to avoid as with any city.
Contact me directly 512-709-6343 bill@teamprice.com

Stuart,
There are a lot of areas around UT and Austin that could make sense for your daughter - a lot of it will really depend on what price range you want to stay within. UT has an extensive transit system that can make many different locations feasible. Give me a call or email me and I would be happy to help you in any way I can.

Kyle Pfaffe
512-636-9707
kylepfaffe@kw.com
Hyde Park would be a great option while she is at UT and also as a long term investment, as you can rent it out to tenants long after she has graduated school and moved out. Hyde Park is close to UT and very popular.
It depends on your budget. Feel free to call me to chat.