Home Buying in 77065>Question Details

Msjatika, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

My credit reports shows a balance from 2yrs ago. It's paid and I've asked the landlord to remove it, or show it as paid. Do I have any recourse?

Asked by Msjatika, Atlanta, GA Sun Aug 19, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


It is great your checking your credit ahead of time before you start searching for your next home. You can get a free copy of your credit report from each of the reporting credit agencies once a year. Look for any items that are not correct and fix them by reaching out to the creditor or the reporting agencies. Here is a link to all 3 http://www.markknowshouston.com/buyers_roadmap_02.php

As others have mentioned, they have ways to resolve items that are not correct, but you have to start the leg work by reaching out. Plan 60-120 days to get these items resolved. A lender can also assist you with some of these items as they work with the credit reporting agencies every day. Good luck and let us know if we can assist you here in Houston.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 20, 2012
Call ONE of the Credit Bureaus and "dispute" the balance. They will send a letter to the landlord to verify the amount owed. If he does not respond within a set time, it will be removed. It is fairly common to find old info on your credit reports that are easy to clean. Just takes a little effort and should not cost you a dime!

Please feel free to contact me if I can help.

Arnold Richie, Realtor®
Terry Burnaman Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 28, 2013
As the others advise, dispute the report directly with the credit bureaus.

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 20, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
You can dispute the report directly with the credit reporting agency. They all have online dispute resolution methods. If they cannot confirm the debt within 30 days they have to remove it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 20, 2012
Sure you do. The following Federal Trade Commission webpage has all the juicy details of how to go about getting it corrected.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 20, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Home > Texas > Harris County > Houston > 77065 > Home Buying in 77065 > Question
Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer