Home Buying in Fairfield>Question Details

Mojo621, Home Buyer in Fairfield County, CT

My company is relocating to Stamford. Would a commute from Fairfield be tough? Focusing on townhomes along 95 or the area around it.

Asked by Mojo621, Fairfield County, CT Tue Mar 16, 2010

Answers

13
My office is in Norwalk and I commute from Milford. Even on a terrible traffic day an hour is the max and that is from Milford and there is some sort of accident. With no traffic it is 35 minutes. A Fairfield to Stamford commute is very do-able especially being right off I-95. Happy house hunting to you and do not forget to check out our mortgage rates. All the best
-Matt
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 16, 2010
Dear Mojo621,
Actually since you are looking along Interstate 95 for a condo, the train is a snap to Stamford. There are clusters of town homes by the Fairfield Station and Fairfield's Southport station. Is your company's new location downtown? If so, it should be a 25 minute train ride from Fairfield. Do you need help finding a great place walking distance to the train, I know of manyl! Give me a call to discuss your price range, timing and criteria at 203-218-6664 and I'll hunt it down for you!
BTW as my colleague mentions below, refering to driving through the rush hour madness, don't do it, if you don't have to, mega congestion...not fun!
Lisa Jones, Realtor
203-218-6664
LJones@HigginsGroup.com
The honest answer is ...it can be...but there are solutions to be found. if you are an early riser, you have a better chance of enjoying a smooth easy ride. It really depends on what time you leave and how much flexibility you have. Many of my clients now commute on the train...very easy if your office is down town. A client I sold to whose office is a bit too far to walk has is associate pick him up at the station in Stamford (it costs him a coffee for his buddy but that's a pretty fair trade). 2 of my buyers who met at my client appreciation party (we have one every year and I think you should get invited to the next one after we find you that perfect townhome!)...commute w/ a third guy. They park at a lot near 95 and take turns driving. They say the ride goes much faster...swapping ideas, giving advice...lots of bonding going on back & forth every day. If you would like any comments from "real people" who DO the commute, I have plenty of people I have sold to who will share their thoughts. The vast majority will tell you that the ammenities and lifestyle Fairfield offers makes the travel time worth it. Let me know if I can help...we have a few properties within walking distance to train that may interest you...best of luck wherever you land! julie@vanderblueteam.com
Web Reference: http://www.vanderblue.com
It is a easy commute if you have some flexibility in your work schedule. It can be as short as 20 minutes or as long as an hour. Many people make that commute and consider it great compared to commuting to the city (NYC). There is so much to choose from within walking distance to the train station including the beach area, University, Sturges, Winton Park and others.
Hi Mojo621,

You can also reference the Metro North website. Click on the appropriate station on the red line (New Haven) to calculate commute time.

http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Robin Lynch
Keller Williams Realty Group
I relocated from New York 30 years ago. My husband worked in Stamford at Shippan Point. It took my husband about 30-35 minutes when he did it by Metro North. It is an easy ride. If you drive it can be more difficult depending on what time you get onto I-95. My husband now commutes to New York via Metro North. I have been a Fairfield resident to 30 years and I love it. The schools are great. We have a beach, lake, tennis, golf and just about anything you can think of.

I would be happy to help you when you make your final decisions. Best of luck.

http://www.carmelasantangelo@prudentialct.com
Mojo621, I specialize in the town of Fairfield. I'd be happy to provide more information about specific properties or to give you more general information about the area. Depending on the time of day and your exact location, the drive from Fairfield to Stamford should be 20 to 40 minutes - but could be 60 minutes. Please feel free to contact me directly. Best regards!
Convenience is subjective to your needs & wants. I usually give my buyer clients a no obligation opportunity to sit down & dialog about their goals & impressions. If you would like to sit down & discuss don't hesitate to contact me.
Our offices will be located on Ludlow Street/Avenue. I would prefer to drive, however, based on the answers below, it can be 20 minutes to two hours? My husband and I do not have any children, however, we would like to start a family in the future. We're looking for a two bedroom in a nice, quiet complex. There are two very nice properties listed for Fairfield, which is the reason for my posting. However, one of the properties has an association fee of $585 which seems a little high. My husband will be working outside of Connecticut, which also factors into the commuting question. Thank you all for the replies, it's appreciated.
The location of your office will likely determine whether the train is an option for you. Do you know where your office will be? And will you be traveling during the height of rush hour? I can't think of any townhomes in Weston. There are some in Fairfield, more in Norwalk. Are schools important to you?
It can be as long as two hours on a rainy day. Hopefully you will have close acess to the train station down in Stamford or wouldn't mind taking a cab.

Weston wouldn't be a bad option as you can take backroads to Norwalk and hop on 95 from there. It's a longer commute, but more predictable and definitely more scenic.
A Stamford-Fairfield commute is very do-able. We live in fairfield and my husband works in Stamford. He usually takes the train; his travel time is under 20 minutes. The drive should take about 20 minutes, door to door, but rush hour traffic can extend travel time to an hour. What is your price range?
Mojo: Check out http://www.city-data.com - They have a consumer Question and Answer section that you may find helpful
Web Reference: http://www.soreal.biz