travisbyar, Home Buyer in 27713

My buyer's agent responded to a counter offer from the seller without consulting with me because the seller suggested a reduced commission for the buy

Asked by travisbyar, 27713 Wed Feb 5, 2014

Answers

6
If all they responded to was the question of commission (which is their income and not yours) then I'm not sure what your concern is. The commission doesn't impact you. If they raised your offering price without consulting with you then there's a problem. If they agreed to take a lower commission which they had no obligation to do; in order for the deal to go through for you, you should be thanking them profusely
Providing the counter ONLY dealt with the buyer's agent commission, then there is no reason for the buyer's agent to contact the buyer.

Changing the commission rate alone has no bearing on the buyer.

If that is the case , you have nothing to be worried about.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Berkshire Hathaway Home Services
With out all the facts it is difficult to be specific with an answer to this. If the only part of the response is that the agent agreed to cut their commission that (as Alan May stated) is within their rights. That is actually not part of the purchase contract. The commissions for the agent are part of the listing agreement that is already negotiated by the seller and the listing firm. Now one kink is that your agent may need to get permission to negotiate a reduction from their broker-in-charge since in NC your "Buyer's Agency" agreement is between you and the firm.

My question to you though is if this gets you the home that you want for a price you are willing to pay what exactly is the problem?
That type of question should be addressed to your agent's Broker in Charge. If you don't know who that is, call your agents main office number and ask to speak to him/her. This is really not the forum to be discussing your agent's performance.
It's within the rights of the buyer's agent to say "I'm not willing to reduce my commission", but they do have to present the counter offer to you.... who knows, you might have said "I'll pay the difference"...

Clearly, the buyer's agent did inform you about the counter...
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
okay. What is the question?