Home Buying in Worcester>Question Details

Tony D'angelo, Home Buyer in Chalfont, PA

My brother's looking to buy a place in Worcester. The inspection turned up a couple of issues that the

Asked by Tony D'angelo, Chalfont, PA Fri Aug 14, 2009

inspector confirmed were code violations. The seller is refusing to fix anything, claiming the property was advertised "in as-in condition". We don't think the seller knew about the violations (he doesn't live in the house). Is he under any obligation to fix them as a condition of the sale? If my brother buys the place, could he get in trouble if he doesn't bring it up to code? If the bank finds out, will he have trouble getting a mortgage?

Help the community by answering this question:


We have new const. by Sparango.......With public water, sewer & gas ! 2 Houses with Quick Delivery call 610-825-2268
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
In many areas of rural PA, it is commonplace to have the sump serve as a discharge for the laundry. Local inspectors often turn a blind eye to it. This is especially true if the home is on a septic system (I guess the idea is not to saturate the septic with greywater). While I generally recommend correction, it also isnt the end of the world if it isnt done.

As for the Federal Pacific panel, they are known to be junk and often recommended to be replaced on sight just based on the brand name. Panel replacement in my area is usually about $800-1200 depending on what else may need to be done.

I have never heard of any banks or insurers asking for the inspection report, but it things in lending change fairly rapidly anymore. These issues usually dont present much of an issue, although knob an tube wiring (if it exists) can be difficult to obtain reasonable insurance for in some cases.
Web Reference: http://www.sherlockHI.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 15, 2009
Thanks, guys. Actually, the house looks pretty good, it's not about to be condemned or anything. The only real standout issues are the laundry sink in the basement dumps directly into the sump, where it just gets pumped out onto the lawn, and the electrical system is a real horror show (some kind of Federal something or other box that's a known fire hazard, along with some other issues). The septic system may be undersized, too, but the inspector says it looks OK.

Looks like Worcester doesn't require U&Os anymore. Guess he can't pressure the seller; does anyone know if he'll have trouble with the bank? Do they require a copy of any inspections?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 14, 2009
Is your brother working with an agent of his own? (ie NOT the listing agent of the home). If so, then he needs to find out what the home could go for if fixed up properly compared to similar nearby homes. Then you would need to subtract what ever it would cost to fix it up and pay for the U&O seeing that the seller doesn't want to be bothered. What you have left is what your brother would need to offer (at the MOST) for the property.

Lenders could give a FHA 203K loan to get the property fixed up. Talk to a local lender.

Hope that helps,

Terrence Charest, e-Pro®
Century 21 Associates
905 Easton Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090
Cell (Preferred): 877.614.1494
Office: 215.659.5250
Fax: 215.659.5550

“Giving to Those Who Gave”
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 14, 2009
If the seller is selling the home as is, unfortunately your brother is on his own.

Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.abemills.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 14, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer