Home Buying in Wicker Park>Question Details

Seedubbya, Home Buyer in Wicker Park, Chicago,...

My boyfriend and I currently rent in Wicker Park in Chicago and love it. We are looking to buy a place. What neighborhood should we choose?

Asked by Seedubbya, Wicker Park, Chicago, IL Mon Aug 22, 2011

We need to be by public transit.

Answers

24
I guess the obvious suggestion would be stay in Wicker Park? I would also recommend Logan Sqaure or East village. They can have a similar feel and may offer a more affordable option. Hve you had a chance to go through the pre aproval process so that you can determine your price range?
I would be happy to help.
Sam Sharp
Senior Vice President Of Mortgage Lending
Guaranteed Rate
773-290-0455
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 22, 2011
Only you can answer this. Drive through areas, grab food or a coffee and see which areas are what your looking for.
Wicker Park is great for all the reasons you already know but it's getting very very pricey very quickly as the market recovers. Consider collar areas like UK and East Village, West Town, and Logan Square for more bang for the buck with similar desirability.

If you're interested in learning more about what's out there- let's talk!
Since you love Wicker Park, I suggest you choose Wicker Park
I'd say alot depends on you two and your various interests!

Wicker Park is a very safe, up and coming area. I would also check out neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview. Those areas are very comparable to Wicker Park, are close to public transportation and have properties that are gaining in value every month!

Best of luck!
I have lived and sold real estate in Wicker Park for over 25 years. Highly recommend it.
You are in the greatest buyer's market in the history of real estate in the U. S. Don't miss this opportunity.

Nick Gecan
Broker/Owner
Gecan Realty Group
Web Reference: http://www.gecanrealty.com
If you don't have much money, and you'd like to have your very own home, and access to public transportation in a culturally rich area consider the small Chicago hamlet of Englewood.
Why not buy where you live now? You said you love it there. What's to question?

I suggest you get yourself a buyers agent, as a buyer there is no charge/fee to you.

He/she can help you pick out properties that are in your price point, assuming you have already been pre approved for a mortgage loan and know what your price point is. If you haven't been pre approved that should be your first step.

I can send you a list of lender referrals, if you like, along with a first time home buyers guide, NO OBLIGATION PROMISE!

Simply send me an email & I'd be more than happy to do so. Good luck!
Love where you live! You cant go wrong with Wicker Park or its neighboring friend Bucktown. I have lived in both for the past 7 years. I agree live near an EL but not on top of it. Resales on condos backing up to the EL are not always the best investment. I'd be happy to go into more details with you. I also have a duplex for sale in Wicker Park thats a fabulous deal http://www.1436Nbosworth1.com Ler me know if it interests you, if not I'd be happy to show you others. Have you figured out your buying power yet? If not get pre-approved.

Jennifer Piet
@properties
773-544-7653
i lived there for 10 years and have sold in the hood for 15. I think you should live near a El line and in a bulding that has good association and is priced at the market. Call me if you want help.. i seroiusly suggest you talk to me or another agent as your question indicates the need for a learning curve
Web Reference: http://www.joeschiller.net
First step on the agenda would be consult a mortgage broker to obtain a pre-approval and to know how
much you can afford before looking at properties. Next find a realtor that you feel comfortable with and have
the agent do a search of properties near trains and subways to secure your means of transportation.
Debbie Bergthold-Smith Classic Real Estate 708-267-5552
Go to an area you feel comfortable in. First things first though, you want to speak with a lender to see what you can afford. Once you get your price range, you can see if you can buy in the place you want to live. You will also want to get a good buyers agent. This way you have someone to walk you through the buying process, at no cost to you. Interview two or three agents, and go with the one you mesh best with. I would be happy to help.

Matt Laricy
Americorp Real Estate
Managing Broker/Partner, e-PRO
mlaricy@americorpre.com
708-250-2696
Web Reference: http://AmericorpRe.com
I would need to interview you to figure out your needs and preferences. Feel free to email me, I specialize in representing buyers and tenants on the north side.
Agents cannot answer that question, but what you can afford will help narrow the focus as to what you might find that you like and where it might be located. Prices are rather all over the place in Wicker. What are your criteria? Have an agent set up a search based on your criteria and see what shows up. If you do not see what you need/like you can make adjustments like neighborhoods etc. My web site lets you search the MLS if you are not ready to work with an agent and it has some lender references in case you need some help with your loan approval.
Hey Seedubbya,

It all depends what about Wicker Park you love! The super overheated prices of four years ago have fanned out and prices in Wicker Park have reached more reasonable levels, but still remain high for the near west area.

Before deciding where to buy, you should determine a couple things:

1. How much you can comfortably afford to spend.

and,

2. What you would like to own.

It may be the case that you would like to own a condo in Wicker Park. Condos start in the low $200's and rise up to as far as most can afford. A single family home will set you back $450K+, and to the sky from there. A multi unit (two flat) will likely be in the same range as a single family home, but comes with some income to help pay the mortgage. If those numbers are too steep for your budget, don't fret. You may want to follow Milwaukee Northwest a little ways and you'll find that logan square has some great values in the current market. Logan has the same great access to the blue line and similar culture/dining, and is a great alternative to Wicker Park.

Best of Luck.

Wayne Beals
Keller Williams
312 77 BEALS
312 772-3257
wbeals@kw.com
http://www.waynebeals.co,
Web Reference: http://www.waynebeals.com
Hey Seedubbya,

and,

2. What you would like to own.

Best of Luck.

Wayne Beals
Keller Williams
312 77 BEALS
312 772-3257
wbeals@kw.com
http://www.waynebeals.co,
Make sure you get pre-approved first.

Call me today or apply online at http://www.alexanderromo.com

Alex Romo
Senor Vice President
Chicagobancorp
32-738-8430
If you depend upon the Blue Line then I would check out the various neighborhoods along it. Going NW along the Blue Line will give you better values (i.e. Logan Square).
There are a lot of great neighborhoods in Chicago. If you can afford Wicker Park and can find a great deal then it is worth it to stay there. It is one of the more expensive neighborhoods on average, so if you are priced out there are some other great areas where you can get more "bang for your buch." I'd talk to a mortgage broker IMMEDIATELY as interest rates are extremely low right now. I have some great suggestions if you would like to look forther into that...they will be able to better give you an idea of price point you can afford. I'd be happy to assist your search in any neighborhood....it's a fun process!
Seedubbya,
I reccomend finding a good buyers agent to help you find a neighborhood and home that suits you. Please contact me for a neighborhood guide to Chicago.
Jesse McGrath
@properties
312-545-2775
jmcgrath@atproperties.com
Hello Seedubbya,

Depending on how much you can afford it would seem Wicker Park is the place to start. First you need a good buyer's agent to help you through the process and meet with a mortgage broker asap to determine how much you can afford. Then it's time to go shopping !!!
If you would like to speak with me, my cell is 773.531.4479 or ihalpin@jameson.com
It's a fantastic time to buy. Best of luck to you both.

Ian Halpin
Broker Associate
Jameson Sotheby's International Realty
Hey!

If you like Wicker Park, you'll definitely like the areas surrounding like Bucktown, UK Village, Noble Square, West Town but you may also be open to some other neighborhoods on the East side of the xway because they have the same feel. It all depends on what you're looking for and how much you are pre-approved for. It's very easy to start and there's no cost to you, the buyer, to use an agent (it's the Seller who pays me). I recommend starting about 4 months before the end of your lease which will give us plenty of time to look around and for you and your boyfriend to pick out a favorite! Call or email me and I'd love to meet you two!

Jeff Stewart
REALTOR®, @properties
3101 N. Greenview Avenue, Chicago, IL 60657
309-269-3499 CELL
jeffstewart@atproperties.com
Go with what you know. If you love the area and can afford it, then go with it. I would recommend choosing a good buyers agent to walk you through the process.
I'm in the Wicker Park/Bucktown area as well and love it. I would be happy to assist in your search. Let me know when you are available to chat about what you're looking for.

Nathan
312.401.8039