Home Buying in Deptford>Question Details

Tdece, Home Buyer in Deptford, NJ

My association fees keep changing. My contract says they are $85/month, but apparently there are other fees that are not listed?

Asked by Tdece, Deptford, NJ Tue Apr 24, 2012

Answers

8
If you are buying, contact the management company to get a complete understanding of fees going into the community and on an ongoing basis. Do not rely on the listing - agents often rely on the recollection of the seller, and the listing entry may not be complete/current.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
If you're buying a home with a homeowners association, many times there is an application fee and also a contribution to the HOA's capital fund.
Tdece,

Not sure this is really a question, or what fees you are addressing, but I will try to answer.

Did you already purchase the property or are you still in the buying stage? Are you using or did you use an attorney to represent you in the transaction?

If you have not already closed on the house, speak to your attorney about the apparent fee changes. During the final weeks of purchase the mortgage company should ask for a Condo Association form which gives information on the HOA fees, and should specify if there are any pending "assessments" etc. (usually for capitol improvements)

If you have already closed, IMHO you should have been informed about any upcoming changes in the fees related to special assessments unless they are recent and were not in place prior to closing.

Again if you are using or used an attorney, speak to him/her to find out what is happening. If you do/did not have an attorney I would ask one for advise.
Hi Tdece,
I gather from what you are saying you already have purchased the condo/townhouse. Your contract with the sale of the home stated that the association fees would be $85.00 a month and now they are changing. If that is the case, you should have received a HOA booklet that explains in detail the rules and regulations of your association. If you did not receive this book, I could possibly help you out and find the number to your HOA where you can call directly and ask the President or a board member your questions. You can email me the condo association and I can try to help.
When yo purchased your home there was a HOA Resale Disclosure Package provided for your association. See your HUD from your purchase it would have cost around 200-300$ for this package.

Look in there for all the fees associated with your HOA.

Good luck...

Search foreclosures and short sale here: http://www.BuyNJShortSales.com
Search the MLS on your phone by Text: In the subject line on your mobile phone- LSAR1 -to number 87778 ... hit send... A GPS feature for listings at your finger tips
Larry Sarlo
RE/MAX Preferred
609-868-1171 call / text / email 7 days
lsarlo@comcast.net
http://www.larrysarlo.com
Hello Tdece,
Thank you for you question.
Are you buying the home with the assistance of a Realtor?. Have him/her call the Association directly to find out the total fees so you do have any surprises. If not the name and contact numbers of the Association should be in your agreement of sale so call them directly and ask them the question about one time fees, any other charges and verify the monthly assoc. fees.
Some Association charge a couple of monthly assoc. fees upfront at settlement, others ask for a processing fee, others have another charges.
I always call for my clients so I am aware what the fees will be to have them handy and available.
Better know before you go to settlement.
Ines De La Cruz, Realtor, ABR
RE/MAX Connection
Also your attorney should be able to answer, since he/she should have requested everything from HOA
Do you have a question?
You should have your buyers agent answer them because you did not give enough information for me to even want to guess at what you should do.