Home Buying in Poughkeepsie>Question Details

Janice, Home Buyer in Dutchess County, NY

My agent brings her children with her to showings We think its unprofessional and want to say something. How do we address this issue tactfully?

Asked by Janice, Dutchess County, NY Mon Feb 4, 2013

Answers

13
Promise to give the kids a kitten the next time you see them.
Or 5 lbs of really cheap hard candy.
A toy drum works also.
Or when departing from the kids the next time, give them a whistle, you know, the referee kind.
Your agent will bring up the topic of the kids. What happens next is up to you.
-
Although that sounds fun, the right way to address this is to turn the conversation towards your agent and ask, "What is important to you about having your children here?"
-
You may find kindness a for more fulfilling response.

Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Reamx Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Movie Tour
http://youtu.be/g1H-_ny-Mnk
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
Call her and tell her that the next time you meet that you don't want her children there and that if that's a problem to let you know now and you'll find another agent. That you don't feel it's professional and that if she wants your business and a career in real estate she needs to figure out other arrangements.

{Personally I suspect you'll be wasting your breathe it's obvious she doesn't know what she's doing and her Broker in Charge is equally clueless as to how to train professional Realtors. My advice is read the link below , start interviewing other agent and find an experienced one who understands that our job entails helping people make what is typically the most expensive decision in their lives.

Mack may be right that for some reason she believes you accept this behavior, but my guess is she's simply clueless about work, real estate and how professionals act.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
Janice,

This is not about your Realtor, it is about you. Just tell her you don't perceive of it being very professional and would appreciate if she would make other arrangements when showing your house.

If she is unable to do so, she might be able to enlist the assistance of another Realtor for showings or babysitting.

On the other side of the coin, I salute her determination to work no matter what the conditions. I am sure that determination spills over into her efforts to get your property sold, so you might want to reconsider saying anything.

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
631-425-6150
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
Honestly, you should not be put in this situation when touring homes with an agent. Buying a home is one of the biggest most important decisions you can make in life. You need to focus on the home and not this type of distraction. I do empathize with the agent, but " business is business!" Maybe this agent will learn from this experience. Be direct with the agent and hopefully she can plan ahead for future showings. Good luck!

Carolynn Dittmann
Um, well... Poopydoopy has a less than faverable answer, although I know an agent that takes her terrior with her everywhere she goes....

the best way to answer, is to tell the truth
You should let them know in a nice manner.
You've received quite a gamet of replies here. I would try to decide if you are otherwise happy with her work, if the children really do interfere with the business of selling your property, or if you are just concerned about her "looking professional". I wonder what the buyers think? That is just as important. Once you have some answers to these questions, talk with her, and ask why she brings them with her - before bringing up your own conclusions.
You don't.

What you need to do, in my opinion, is decide what you want to accomplish and then to go for it.

Might you offend her? Oh, yes, you might. Then, again, you might not - she might not only be fine with it, she may have this feeling that you have somehow encouraged this through your lack of disapproval.

I had a client with a dog. I am not really a dog person, especially because I lean toward clothes that require dry cleaning. Anyway, three houses came up to see one Saturday, and the clients brought the dog because they somehow had gotten the idea that I actively liked the dog, when in fact I was merely attempting to be polite. So I wound up with the couple and the dog in my car, which meant that I ended the showing with the dog's fur in my car, pawprints on my trousers and coat, and a detailing and dry cleaning bill.

But you know what? It didn't matter, because these clients were valuable to me. Turning things around, I would like to think that I was valuable to these clients, but maybe our mutual respect for one another precluded minor complaints.

I don't know what you think of this agent, but if you think that she adds value to the transaction, then . . . . that's up to you. In which case, I think you have to be responsible for the way you handle this.

As a client you should never be put in a situation such as this. It is most unprofessional and if the agent had a problem with the appointment because she didn't or couldn't get a babysitter then he/she should have called and consulted with you as to whether or not you would like to keep the appointment. Emergencies come up but we still have to remember to be professional and a simple phone call could have taken care of the issue. You should not have been in the position to address it at all! And it certainly should have no bearing on whether the agent is doing a good job for you or not! I don't see how anyone can be doing their job when there is a child in tow and it certainly isn't fair to the child. I would discuss it with the agent's Principal Broker. I wish you much success in your search for a new home!
It sounds like you need to consider the other services your agent is providing. Are you happy with her advice? Is she going out of her way to make appointments based on your schedule? Are you calling her in the morning asking her to show you a home that afternoon? I don't know the answers to these questions.

As a working mom, I am biased and have empathy for the agent. But I can certainly understand how this can be uncomfortable for you. Afterall, we strongly discourage buyers from bringing their own children because they can easily distract their parents from making a hugely important buying decision. (Also, it's incredibly BORING for the kids. I always feel a little badly for buyers kid's and try to engage them in the showing experience.)

When my eldest was little, I used to bring her along to open houses. She hated it! :)

It's your decision. But maybe when you schedule another appointment, you can ask the agent if she needs a little more time to find someone to watch the kids because you know they must be pretty bored. (If the agent says, "oh no, it's no problem", THEN say you would feel more comfortable if you can schedule a time without kids.)

Good luck with your home search.
If it bothers you that much, simply ask that she consider leaving the children with a sitter....
simply state that it's distracting and you need their full attention. Frankly I think it's a bit unprofessional. I understand if it is a 1 time thing, but not continuously.
Your agent is working for you be honest with him/her, try " your children are wonderful but its a little hectic with them around do you think you could in the future show the house without them? "