Maru, Home Buyer in 91402

My agent and I have been searching for a condo for the past 3 to 4 months, but so far no luck. Our offers been beaten by Cash offers. Anyway, another

Asked by Maru, 91402 Sat Feb 13, 2010

Listing agent recently offered/showed me a condo. Now, I am torn between the 2 agents. Is there some sort of Real Estate Etiquette? Do I tell my my original agent about this new property? Please help.

Answers

5
Hi Maru:

If you like the house, you should tell your original agent and see if he/she will write up an offer for you.

The listing agent should have asked you if you are represented by another agent and handle from there - that's professional etiquette to start with. There is also the issue of dual agency - that the listing agent has to be able to represent both you and the seller and get the most benefit for both sides, that, can be difficult to do - I assume this new agent explained that to you?

In this tight credit market, cash trumps a lot of other mortgages, so I would not blame your agent for not able to get you the house but I am glad he/she keeps on trying.

Unless you are just not happy with your old agent's performance, I will go back to the first agent and let him/her represent you in this transaction.

Sylvia Barry
Frank Howard Allen Reattors
Marin, Sonoma
(415) 717-0293
http://www.MarinHomePreview.com
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA
Hi Maru,
It would be correct to let your buyer agent know that you have been shown a property by another agent. She will know how to proceed with the "listing agent."
You have a professional agreement with your buyer agent If you and are under contract with her so the commission for the sale belongs to your buyer agent.
Maru,

Please explain the situation to your original agent. It sounds like he/she has been working very hard for you. This is a difficult market to represent a buyer. And yes, the listing agent SHOULD have asked you if you were represented by an agent. And YES, you should have told the listing agent that you already have a buyers agent. It's too late to change what has already happened.

Call your original agent and explain the situation.

Best of luck,

Karen Miller
(562)756-4144
Dear Maru,

Watch-out-First did you signed, any buyer broker agreement, because if you did then 1st, agent will be entitled to he's commision!

3 to 4 months its along time, spent-waisted time & money for 1st. agent, remember were on comission so........in other words agent will not be too happy.

Second agent, should no best, Real Estate Law and ask you rightway if you have someone representing you? Then if you answered yes, then ask you- to call your agent to & show you the place.

Have in mind that its not the agents fault, if someone offered Cash or if they offered at higher, then no matter who you work with you'll always be out.

Lastly YES, tell your first agent, communicate!

Hope my answer was abit helpful.

I wish you good luck finding your new place!

Merlin Barrientos
Realtor Associate
cell 661 713-8780
It really depends on how you feel...and how loyal you want to be to your original agent. I assume that you did not sign a Buyer's Exclusive Agreement, which allows you to work with any number of agents.

Did you see this condo at an open house without your agent present?

Was this other agent showing you their new condo listing?

If either of these are the case, you should have merely mentioned to the listing agent that you already have an agent that you are working with. If you are serious about placing an offer on this new condo, then you have a decision about who you would like to represent you in the transaction.

You do not need to use any agents that you do not choose. I am available if you need a second opinion on anything. Best of luck to you!