Home Buying in Matteson>Question Details

Dorian Compt…, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

My Realtor is being impatient with me in my search for buying a home... is it unethical to have two realtors?

Asked by Dorian Compton, Chicago, IL Mon May 27, 2013

Answers

10
You started out right:
The problem is probably not with your Realtor.
You have a list of wants and needs, and you want everything!
You're not going to get everything.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 27, 2013
Mr. Thomas:
I just so happened come across your comment, the problem is that sometimes is not the client and it is the Realtor. You only speak on behalf of the Realtor not give enough thought on the client. It is un ethical to have two Realtor at the same time, but you want to get paid for your time than be respectful to your client or you can fire the client. It is a free country after all.
Flag Sat Apr 5, 2014
We are NOT going to advise you to have two real estate agents doing the same work on your behalf unless you're willing to make sure they both get paid.

I am going to wonder - why are they impatient?

I will tell you that people come to us because they want to buy real estate, so it does surprise us when they aren't buying, but sometimes there's a good reason.
I worked with buyers for almost a year, would drop everything on the spur of the moment to show them property. While putting in lowball offers they had no chance of being the winning bid. they finally said they would put their search on hold and wait fro a few months to search again.

Instead they started to work with another agent who also devoted months to them, he finally said no more.

eventually they purchased a home with still another agent, and purchased a home that wasn't even in the area that they were searching for the prior 2 years!

I don't know what the market is like in your area, but if it's anything like here, have patience, if your Realtor is rude and not a good fit for you, let him/her know and move on to another
Dorian

Lots of answers here. Buying in this area right now is very competitive and tricky. Matteson is a very popular area and decent properties and even not so decent ones are flying off the market with multiple offers. It makes things difficult for buyers and their agents.

You should not work with two Realtors. Only one Realtor can show you one house, so if you work with more than one - you are going to get confused. Plus, everyone deserves to be paid for their work. If a Realtor gives you their time and expertise, you owe them loyalty.

But at the same time, if you are not getting the service you want and deserve, then you need to have that settled. I would discuss the problem with his/her broker. The broker can assign someone else to you and/or work it out with your current agent. Or you can speak to them directly and work it out.

And of course, if you have an exclusive agreement, you need to abide by that agreement.

I would try to work it out. This Realtor knows you and what you want. There is a learning curve. But if you can't get satisfaction, get a new Realtor.

Suzanne Hamilton
Managing Broker/Owner
RE Marketing Consultants, Inc.
888-788-9544
suzanne@remarketingconsultants.com
If your Realtor is being impatient, and you're not happy with them... why on earth would you want to keep them?

Find a new Realtor. Working with one (assuming you're searching in one basic area) is far more effective, than duplicating efforts with one good one, and one impatient one.

Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Dorian,

I think you need to stick with one agent. If you hire me and I invest my time helping you, I should be able to earn your business and get paid. I think the bigger question is why are you keeping the 1st agent if you are unhappy? Have you sat down with your agent and told them how you feel? Start there the agent may not know you are unhappy and will change how they work with you. If not fire that agent and find a new one.

Tom
Unethical?

Yes, if you don't inform both.

Unwise?

Absolutely.

If you don't like your current Realtor, discuss the situation with him/her. Then decide whether you want to change Realtors. You won't get better service or a wider choice of properties with two Realtors than you will with one. You just have to find the one right Realtor for you.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Hi Dorian,

I don't know how unethical it is but unfair, yes. To have two agents working on your behalf without knowledge of the other, is disrespective of their time and expertise. Have a discussion with your present agent. If that doesn't work, find one you feel understands your needs, your time frame and work with that one.

Best of luck,

Barbara Grandolfo
Did you sign a Buyers Agreement. If so you may wish to read it through..
Dorian

That is a touchy question. The agent / client relationship needs to be built on a good working relationship. If you do not feel like you are getting the service, support, or interaction you need, then you should look at alternatives. Before you do that you may want to have a discussion with your current agent to let them know what you are feeling. It may be something you two can work out, it may not. Either way, you would either continue to work with your current agent, or get a new one. Using 2 is somewhat pointless, especially if the 1st one is not working well with you.

Geoff Ommen
Broker Baird & Warner
847-271-2622
geoff.ommen@bairdwarner.com
http://www.geoffgetsit.com