Home Buying in Deer Valley>Question Details

Stacy Ann Ni…, Both Buyer and Seller in Sun City West, AZ

My Husband and I will be looking to buy a home in about 5 weeks. One of our issues is he drives a service van for work and we have had a hard time

Asked by Stacy Ann Nielson, Sun City West, AZ Tue Aug 23, 2011

finding HOA's that will accept his van. It is nearly impossible to find out in advance what they will accept. Is there someone we can call who can check out the areas we are interested in and find out this info before we even look at any homes? Our other option is to only look for homes with rv parking. Thank you

Answers

13
Call Sara Reidhead at 928.242.1092 and she can help you with all your questions and needs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 24, 2011
Call me at 602-750-4653 and I can help you with your search for the CC& R's of any area in which you have an interest. I've been the president or an officer of several different HOA's in my life and know ,first hand, the in's and out's of these organizations.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 24, 2011
Sorry to hear of your challenges. Yes, it is quite difficult to find out in advance whether a specific HOA will accept vans. However, if you make a friend of someone at a local title company they will most likely be very happy to send you CCRs for subdivisions you have an interest in. If you think they do a good job, you might want to bear that company and title officer in mind when you buy a home and need a title agency :)

Having said that, *most* HOAs have a restriction regarding 'visible trucks and trailers'. That means that if your van is parked behind your fence but visible from the street, you could be liable for a fine. Your only other options are homes not in an HOA, and those with RV parking allowed. A good local Realtor should be able to advise you on which neighborhoods might fit the bill for you,and they would make a great point of contact for queries like that.

Best of luck with the home search, and let me know if there is anything else I could help with.

Emma Beyer
RE/MAX Casa Grande Yost Realty
Web Reference: http://www.yosthomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 23, 2011
Hi Stacyann,

Listings in the Arizona Multiple Listing Service (MLS) will say whether a home is in an HOA or non-HOA subdivision. There are hundreds of subdivisions and HOA's, so you would actually have to see what is active in the area you want to live in and check out the HOA/non HOA information from the MLS. RV parking may be an option, but again, the HOA rules would have to be investigated. Send me an email with areas you are interested in and I will set you up on an automatic live feed from the Arizona MLS. From there, I can do some investigating on HOA's for you.
Info I'll need: Minimum number of bedrooms & bathrooms, approximate sq. footage of home you're looking at, zipcodes you are interested in, price range, number of garage spaces, etc. The more specific, the better your MLS emails will be.

I look forward to helping you!
Don Reinhardt 480-338-2338
donar64@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 23, 2011
There are several very nice developments with no HOA, or homes that allow RV parking behind a gate in and around Deer Valley. Your agent should be scoping these homes out for you and verifying that you can park there. If your agent is not helping you, dump them and find an agent that gives better service. Contact me and I will set up a specialized search that includes only homes with no HOA or RV parking (or any other criteria you have) within your specified search area.

Oh, and better hurry. 5 weeks is getting kind of tight to find a home and contract for it. Short Sales make up the majority of homes these days and they take longer than 5 weeks.
hi where i live we have no HOA and we all take care of our houses. try 31st. ave. above unionhill. houses are great and i love mine. never leaving close to 17 and 101.
My husband and I have a Commercial HVAC business and he also has a large truck so I would recommend staying out of a property with an HOA because every time the board changes people in those positions, they can vote to change the rules and it may effect you and your husband in that aspect. Your realtor can do searches for a home without an HOA, most of my clients prefer not to have one. The Cities rules and regualtions are simular to the enforcement of the HOA's.
That would also be a major concern for us as business owners too. Glad you thought of that ahead.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 4, 2011
Hi Stacyann08,

This is something your Buyers agent should be doing for you. He/she should be checking the van question out ahead of time and only show you homes that will allow you to park the van outside of a garage.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 4, 2011
Dear Stacyann,
Yes of course, this is what your buyer agent can do as part of her "due diligence" in working with you to find the right property. When you hire your buyer agent, let them know this is part of the criteria.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 4, 2011
Stacyann08

This can be difficult to tell just by looking at the listings. Some agents may put the HOA information in the MLS correctly, but many don't. The only way may be calling the HOA. Some may give the information over the phone. There may be a few that won't and will require payment for the documents to go to title. We can also check to see if the homeowner still has their copy of the CC&Rs to review for us. If the community does not allow trucks to be visible then they also can't be visible over the fence in the RV area. I have seen some dig down the RV area but many people don't want to deal with this. You would need a drain system so that the area does not hold water. Then there is always the option to find a community without a home owners association. If you want to search the official MLS system you can use my link: http://link.flexmls.com/ua70wacvime,12 and if you have any questions or would like to work with us, please do not hesitate to call.

Kindest Regards,

Brenda

Ron & Brenda Cunningham
602-980-3133
**** Recognized by the Phoenix Business Journal as "One of the Top 50 Realtors in the Valley" ****
Stacey,
If you are looking for a town home in Deer Valley, it is possible to filter the search and include only neighborhood/ town home complexes that will accept visible larger vehicles.
You can probably do the initial search from my web-site.
Select search criteria: Separate RV Parking Avail
Exclude: No Visible Truck Trailor RV Boat

From then on, we may have to do some confirmation with the HOA, too.
My website is:
http://www.talktosteffy.com
Web Reference: http://www.talktosteffy.com
Each HOA is going to have its own rules and regulations. So, short of asking each HOA (or examining the HOA documents), there's no way of telling.

Depending on the community, there may be other options, too. For instance, I know of some condo complexes that don't allow service vans in the condo parking spaces. However, there's plenty of on-street parking nearby, and that's where they all park. In another case--a manufactured home community--they don't permit service vans in the driveway. But they have a separate parking lot--not just for RVs but for any "unusual" situation (ranging from service vans to boats)--for them. The lot has netting on the side to obscure the vehicles in there.

That doesn't solve your problem, but it may offer some additional options.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA