Home Buying in Thousand Oaks>Question Details

Joe Nernberg…, Real Estate Pro in Simi Valley, CA

Must a Bedroom Have a Closet?

Asked by Joe Nernberg (Amerispec), Simi Valley, CA Thu Mar 7, 2013

Cannot find anything in the building code that requires a closet for a sleeping/bed room. Is this an appraiser issue, real estate requirement?

Answers

7
It depends upon what the buyers want the bedroom to have. If it was me (personally) I would be pretty annoyed to move into a home and set up and bedroom without any closet for my clothes...of course if the bedroom was an En Suite, with a walk in Closet off the Master Bath ...I would not mind!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Haha, Joe, I think is only needs a bed. JK...actually Barry, I think the minimum sq ft is now 70 which would be 7' x 10', but does anyone measure a room that small anyway?
Hi Joe:

Putting myself in the shoes of a homebuyer when considering the purchase of a home , most if not all will call the space a Den or Office if there is not a closet. Simply put, if they have 3 kids and they all want separate bedrooms and the listing agent is marketing it as a 4 bdrm home...someone's going to be without a closet, and the buyer's will tell you, 'it's NOT a bedroom.' I have run into this time and time again. As a Broker I always check with public record to see what the County shows as # of bdrms. ...Hope this helps Joe.
New construction, absolutely; you just didn't read cover to cover :-)

To an appraiser . . . well, it depends. As a broker, I just go with what is customary; some 50's houses have bedrooms with small windows high up on the wall; some '20s and '30s buildings don't have closets in the bedrooms. It has two bedrooms without closets - is it really a zero bedroom, 1.75 bath co-op? No!
I just saw Steve @ the KW Conference in Dallas... I will send him out a text message to follow-up. THANKS JOE!
Best answer so far. Barry: you win a free infrared inspection. See Steve Gould for more information. Thank you for participating.
Hi Joe,
The closet 'defines' the room as a bedroom, so it's probably more related to marketing the home as having "x" number of bedrooms. In older homes, as you know, there were no closets, so this general rule would not apply. Bedrooms must have a minimum of 2 exits and provide adequate ventilation, plus be a minimum of 7'x7' with 7.5' headroom. Local building codes would clarify this in the area of the dwelling. A licensed appraiser can address this issue from their perspective.