Home Buying in Mundelein>Question Details

Mason, Other/Just Looking in Schaumburg, IL

Mundelein seems to have a lot of nice homes, but when I ask people about it they tell me to stay away. The high school seems to offer many AP

Asked by Mason, Schaumburg, IL Sun Jul 18, 2010

course, and if it's rated lower than the surrounding schools, I don't know if this will affect my son or daughter if they go there. Any advice about what parts of Mundelein are nice for someone looking for a house/townhouse under 220k?

Answers

7
Mike Stodola’s answer
Mundelein now has great schools. Many people are stuck on its reputation from 20 years ago. I saw beautiful new construction availble for under 200k on Friday with 2200 square feet. If you want more info email or call me at 847-557-1622. Have a great Sunday.

Mike Stodola
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 18, 2010
We moved here in 2004 and were planning on moving before our kids got into high school. Then the market crashed and we are still here. It has been a blessing in disguise. My older son is in honors classes (AP included) and being a teacher myself, I am impressed with the teachers he's had and the education he is receiving. He is very happy. We were worried about safety and gang problems and have encountered nothing of the kind. The village of Mundelein just received a safe community award. Mundelein does not deserve the reputation that still lingers.
I love Mundelein and have lived here for 15 years with my two boys who attend public school. There are a lot of exciting things happening here and property values are likely to go up once the downtown changes are made. Nice people, great parks, fantastic library, farmer's market, antique car shows, outdoor concerts, good restaurants, a microbrewery-those are just a few things the village has to offer.
Hi Mason-
The only person who can make a decision on what is good for you and what you are willing to live with or settle for is you. If you are concerned about feedback that you are receiving, then take a drive through the neighborhoods in question, ask to speak to the school of your choice, talk to the local police. But make an educated decision. And make the decision on YOUR criteria and not someone else's biases even if you trust that person whole heartedly. What is right for you, may not always be what is right for someone else or what they feel is in your best interest.

Hope this helps!

Hi Mason, I see you are right in Gages Lake, give me a call or email. I will come out to your home and discuss Mundelein ( I grew up in Mundelein and now live in Grayslake ) I will bring current comps for your home and some great information on Mundelein and surrounding areas. I understand you are just checking around so there would be no expectations or obligations on your part. Jim Starwalt 224-627-7581. Jim@StarHomeFinders.com
I love Mundelein! Both my children attend Fremont School District 79 and we couldn't be happier. Mundelein offers great diversity and compares well academically to the surrounding areas. Mundelein offers great parks and public recreational areas. The Fremont Library is a fabulous newer addition to the community. There is something in Mundelein for all ages. There are many beautiful neighborhoods to choose from. You will certainly find a lovely home or town home in the price range you are working within. I would love the opportunity to learn more about your families needs so that we can find you that perfect home. Please feel free to call or e-mail me at anytime.
Mason,
The best for you would be to drive through the village and get a first-hand impression. There are many nice neighborhoods in Mundelein and the prices went down significantly. I live in Mundelein myself for almost 5 years now. I don't have first-hand experience with the high school because my kids are still small.
In any case I would gather more feedback from different people, research school stats on the web and make an informed decision.
Please feel free to call/email me your detailed search criteria if you want to see active listings in Mundelein or any other area. I'll be glad to show you homes and get more details on any property you will like.
I can also offer you a free loan preapproval. The rates are very low now so it's definitely time to buy!

Peter Schifrin
Express Real Estate Group, Inc.
pschifrin@gmail.com
847 630 6843