Home Buying in South Shore>Question Details

Vlad Kushnar…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

Multi Unit Buildings in South Shore

Asked by Vlad Kushnarenko, Chicago, IL Sun Dec 7, 2008

How prudent is it now to buy a multi-unit building in South Shore ? Is it a good cash flow generator ? Do they generatye positive cash flow ?

Answers

3
Wayne Beals’ answer
Agreed with Chris. We have represented many developers and investors in South Shore. If you're looking at 2-4 unit buildings, they usually cash flor at about a 10% cap rate. 5+ unit buildings often cash flow better.

They key is to purchase buildings with individual heat. Buildings with central heat will often sell for less and are usually worth converting to individual heat.

Rents are typically good and access to transportation is excellent. It is one of the best neighborhoods for investors.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 7, 2008
go get'm the investment in SS is a good one
Dear Vlad,

The answer really is specific to the particular building you're looking at. There are many tremendous opportunities in the South Shore neighborhood, and there is a quite a large rental market there as South Shore has absorbed a lot of folks who were displaced by the removal of some public housing. In 2007 I was the highest dollar sales volume agent in South Shore, so I'd be happy to help you investigate good buys in that neighborhood.

Call or email me at any time.

Christopher Thomas
Broker Associate, Sudler Sotheby's International Realty
773-418-0640 (cell)
christopher.thomas@sothebysrealty.com
http://www.myagentchris.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 7, 2008