Home Buying in Valencia>Question Details

Emma, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

Moving to the SFV to be near job in Van Nuys. Unfamiliar with area, thinking Moorpark, Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks - maybe even Valencia. Advice??

Asked by Emma, Portland, OR Wed Jul 11, 2012

Will be moving back to CA, lived in Long Beach at one time but do not know the Valley. Looking btwn 400-500k, 2 Adults, 1 child (1 yr.), 3br/2ba. Best options for future resale (5 yrs), schools, etc

Answers

11
If you make the trip out here first, it won't be a question. You will immediatly know the answer. Valencia, Saugus, Newhall are your best bets. Come out and look at all those other places first, Simi valley is run down and lower income, Moorpark, far and middle income but housing prices are high for what you get. Not sure how good their schools are, Van Nuys and Sherman Oaks, well they speak for themselves. It really depends on how important crime, schools ,traffic and over all quality of living are to you. The school system is why I moved to Valencia. I moved from the beach community of Redondo to Saugus in 1984. Our Public schools here are parallel to private schools in all those other areas save Moorpark, which I know nothing of. Our Crime rate, per capita, is lowest in the entire state of California, and the majority household income is in the 200,000 range. We are a bedroom community of proffesionals ,business owners and civil servants(Deputies and Fire )Department.
Sincerly ,
Kelly Bader, Home owner
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 10, 2012
I lived in many of those other areas, VALENCIA is the best city/town you can move to. It has 5 star rated schools which means the neighborhoods are great . people leave their homes in other towns/cities just to be here in this great place of Valencia. 0% crime (of all kinds) and a very artistic/ creative community that exists within the surrounding areas. People are great, many restaurants and places to go for fun and activities. Stay away from Canyon Country. Lots of Thefts, Muggings and shootings. recently Bank Robberies.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
Emma,

Researching your areas in the way you explained is such a smart move. It pays to be an informed buyer. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I would welcome the opportunity to help you find just the right home to suit your needs.

Angie Simpson
Coldwell Banker
Hi Emma,

You are doing the right thing! You are asking questions and you are going to visit the areas, because you know best if a city or a more rural area fits your lifestyle. Doing the drive is crucial as it determines how much time you are willing to give up from family and other activities, and always remember there will be traffic accidents, weather, fires and other events that will affect your commute.

Visit the areas you are seriously thinking about on different days and times to see what really goes on, and if that community/neighborhood is a good fit. Some of my clients did commute drives and immediately they knew some areas were coming off the list. I have had clients seen out side a home they were going to buy and when the other agent called me that they had been seen in the neighbor hood, I was so pleased and smiled, and reinforced they were doing their home work and they made a great purchase that fit their lifestyle.

In addition, agents have to avoid violating the Fair Housing Act, which includes steering a client to or from certain areas, or stating how they feel about the quality of schools etc. (reminders taken from a Realtor magazine for Realtor's and the FH Act). Doing your "buyer's due diligence" is key and is most beneficial to the buyer, the more they do the better. Contact police departments for crime rates. Contact Chamber of Commerce for local information and the Census Bureau for demographics. Check websites for city or county departments that may be able to provide nice area maps, pamphlets, and guide books. Check school websites and contact the actual schools for school boundaries as they do change, and schedule a visit to the schools. If you are pumping gas or grabbing a meal ask people around you if they live in the area and that you would like their input, or maybe they live in one of the other areas you are viewing. Agents can assist with some data, but there is plenty of research you can do on line and have a nice trip reference pack built before you visit.

Taking verbal notes on a phone recording app (if applicable) is a great way to capture your true thoughts as you see and experience the areas, then upon review you can weigh the importance on a pro and con list, or use one of those apps too. Take photos, then when you look back at them they may justify your verbal notes or you may see something you did not see before.

Remember it is the buyer's job to do their due diligence and the buyer's decision as to where to locate, what commute works for them along with other wants and needs. Keep up your great research and you will have a successful transaction.

Have a safe trip back to So. Cal,
TV-Tracy Van De Mark
(661) 310-4004
Lic.01487734
Hi Emma,
I have lived in most of those areas you have mentioned.
Simi Valley / Mooorpark is your best bet for the drive as compared to the entire Santa Clarita Valley.
Santa Clarita is a very nice area but when it had its boom of building, the freeway did not even though the freeway dropped in 1994 in the Northridge quake. My suggestion is SImi valley for what you asked.
On the other hand,.... the Agoura Hills to Newbury Park area isnt bad at all. The area is nice as well. I think for the price, I would do Simi Valley or Newbury Park. Drive wise I would do Simi Valley. The choice is yours.

Don't forget to vote best answer for those who give the best answer.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomes.biz
http://www.socalhomes.biz
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992
After reading your question, I would advise staying closer to where you are working. Valencia area, and parts of San Fernando Valley are good options to consider. I have grown up in Valencia and love the area. Homes are going to be more affordable, we are a master planned community, and a newer community. Van Nuys is about a 20 min drive from Valencia wtihout traffic, the area overall is less congested in comparison to the valley so if you like more suburb living it's a good option to look at. Schools here in Valencia/Santa Clarita are excellent, and infact many people start looking at our area because of the schools. I went to school here in Valencia, and although that was years ago I do have first hand experience :)

If you need any additional help, direction or want to see what homes are available in Santa Clarita, or SFV that fit your needs I would be more than happy to send you more information specific to what you are looking for.

Respectfully,

Jerod Mayer
661-702-4552
Thanks for the response. I am planning on doing 2 trips to the area before we actually move - one alone and one with the family. The first trip I was just going to get an idea of what the areas are like, commute times to/from work etc. Second trip with the family, will be longer and we will focus on areas that we have researched and that work for our commute, schools, etc. We don't have to hurry since we plan on living in a corporate apartment for a couple of months. Just not too interested in moving completely into a rental then moving again into a house.
We do want a commute of 45 minutes or less and also need to make regular trips to LAX.
I work with relocation clients all the time. If you need advice on where to find corporate housing let me know. I think your plan is a good one. All the areas are completely different in terms of community, schools, commute, prices, and climate.
Please feel free to contact me any time to assist with your real estate needs. I specialize in buyers and know the areas of interest to you. If I don't hear from you, best of luck.
Flag Thu Jul 12, 2012
Emma,

If your job is near Van Nuys, I would not move to Valencia. I live and work in the Valley and I can help you locate a home that would provide a shorter commute. Tarzana or Woodland Hills would be better options. Depending on what part of Van Nuys you will be in, you may want to check out Granada Hills because it has some blue ribbon schools.

Please feel free to contact me directly (click on my photo) to talk about some of your options in greater detail.

Angie Simpson
Coldwell Banker
If your job is in Van Nuys, stay as close to the area as possible to avoid horrendous traffic! Not knowing your budget, check out the area between Hayvenhurst to the east. Lindley to the west. Burbank on the south border and Vanowen to the north. Quaint traditional homes in this square area and some nice town homes too. Just be aware that there is a private airport around Vanowen and Hayvenhurst. if not then go East towards NoHo and Toluka lake area....of course it all depends on budget and size of home needed.

Good luck and welcome to the Valley!
I think you would find it to be a shorter commute in Valencia and have a greater selection of homes in your desired price range. Also, Valencia is a master planned community that is very family oriented, with good schools (we have our own school system and are not part of the Los Angeles Unified School District, abundant restaurants, shopping, easy freeway access, lush landscaping, many parks and activities. Valencia is located in the City of Santa Clarita and their website is http://www.santa-clarita.com/. I would be happy to email properties to you for comparison purposes. If you will have a chance to come out and take a tour of the different areas, that would also be very advantageous.
Warmest Regards,
Sharon Lajer
Service That's the Cat's Meow!
http://www.santaclaritahomeguide.com
661.904.6222
DRE# 0085708
There is a huge difference between all those areas. I used to live in San Fenando Valley and moved to Valencia in 1997 because of the schools for my children. The area is a great place to raise a family because of the schools, safety, and community. The area is newer and well kept.
Van Nuys is not a great area. There is areas surrounding Van Nuys that would be better than Van Nuys itself like Lake Balboa.
Moorpark is a nice area and so is Thousand Oaks. It tends to run about aout 10 - 20% more than Valencia and San Fernando Valley in terms of price.
I work all three areas and I'm very familiar with all them. You can contact me and we can set up a meeting when you come to California to visit all three areas to see which will be the best fit for you and your family.
661 284-5004 http://www.LauraCoffey.com
Flag Thu Jul 12, 2012