Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

Claudia Starr, Home Buyer in The Villages, FL

Moving to the Portland area for a job near Lloyd Center. Looking for the best location with good high school for my freshman daughter

Asked by Claudia Starr, The Villages, FL Thu Apr 18, 2013

She loves theatre, debate and music. I want somewhere that is safe and has a home where our pets will have a backyard. We are leaving an acreage in the Midwest with a 2 mile driving distance to work. So, any ideas? I cannot spend over 350k for a home. This will be our last home as I hope to retire in 10 years and stay in home. Privacy and safety are key. We will be moving in June.

Answers

10
Congratulations on the move to Portland! You will love Oregon, but one thing that often comes as a surprise to my clients who are relocating is we don't really have a lot of close in property that has acreage. The East side near Lloyd Center is some of the most sought after neighborhoods in the greater metro area - Irvington, Alameda, Dolph Park, Grant Park, Laurelhurst - all in the Grant High School attendance area. There are homes in this area in your price point.

You might also like SW Portland, which would give you a little more of a commute, but not much. Homes around Stephenson Elementary, Hillsdale, Multnomah attend Wilson High School.

Lake Oswego is a suburb that would come with some of the best schools in Oregon and about a 20-25 minute commute to Lloyd Center. I have a good friend that does this every day and it is not too bad.

There are many other options and all depend on how far you are willing to drive and what kinds of amenities you want in the home you are purchasing. We are pretty good at helping to sort this all out and have many resources for folks relocating to the area. http://www.greatschools.com is an excellent resource for comparing the High Schools. Call if you need help.
My opinion of the best site to look at schools is: schools.oregonlive.com. They have a tiered system, and also test scores for each school for you to compare and contrast. In the Portland area Lincoln, Grant (both closer to Lloyd Center) and Wilson High are probably the most sought after schools.

Email me if you have more questions.

Nathan
First of all,welcome to Portland! This is a great place to live.
Lloyd Center is in Northeast Portland. Northeast Portland is a vibrant area of town which your daughter may love and it just so happens that one of the best high schools in town is also in NE Portland -- Grant High. There are houses available under the $350,000 mark in the Grant area, but frankly, not too many. One neighborhood that has at least one right now is Laurelhurst which is a residential area just south of both Grant and Lloyd Center that has well kept homes on winding streets.
Most lots in Portland are 50 x 100 -- 5,000 square feet. There's room for pets, but unless you head out to the suburbs you will find few homes with acreage.
If you'd like me to send you some homes that meet your criteria, just let me know.
Hi! Welcome to Portland! I am a Portland native who has helped a number of out of state clients successfully make the move and I would be happy to help you as well. If you aren't working with an agent already, give me a call and I will gladly answer any questions and guide you through.

Best of luck to you and your family!
I'll prepare a list of the best homes with pictures based on your needs. Please send me your email address at shawn@srpdx.com.
The closest high school to Lloyd Center is Grant High School. It has an excellent reputation, particularly for theater and music. Neighborhoods to look at in the area would be Irvington, Sabin, Grant Park, Alameda, Beaumont/Wilshire, Concordia, Hollywood, Kern/Buckman, Rose City. The market is tight in Portland right now, with prices going up. Let me know if I can help!
As a team that lives and works in this area, we would be honored to be your eyes and trusted resource throughout this exciting move!
If you aren't already working with a Real Estate Broker, please contact me for more information on your search. I can discuss some areas to consider and set you up on a home search. Good luck!

Tomas Navarro - Principal Real Estate Broker
503-317-8299
The area around Lloyd Center and just east of there feeds into Grant High School. Grant is one of the best in the city. Are you planning to rent prior to buying? If so, I am a licensed Realtor who can help you find a home to purchase and I also do tenant placement and can help you locate a home to rent until you are ready to purchase. If I can be of assistance for either I'd welcome the opportunity to talk with you.
Diane Moreau
503.680.5836
Real Estate Brokers are not allowed to recommend certain neighborhoods over others. What I recommend is checking out sites such as city-data.com, greatschools.org, etc. for a lot of information and stats in just about every city. Once you are able, I would highly advise you to take a trip out here and spend some time with your Realtor looking at homes in a variety of areas that have interested you, and start narrowing the area down. Hope that helps! If you are looking for a Realtor, please don't hesitate to contact my team. Good luck!

Mandy Lewis and Jennifer Peterson
503-888-3180
http://www.PDXRockstars.com
Keller Williams