Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

W. Stone, Both Buyer and Seller in San Francisco, CA

Moving to the NW!

Asked by W. Stone, San Francisco, CA Thu Jul 19, 2012

I am from the bay area and just sold my business and wish to move to the Northwest. I have not decided yet between Portland and Seattle as I love both cities. I would like to live in a high rise condo again as I lived at The Infinity and loved it. Any recommondations as to a building with some of the same characteristics?

Answers

7
Brad Golik’s answer
Portland or Seattle...two great choices!
I have lived in both and being a condominium specialist, I know the condo markets very well in both cities. I have friends in San Francisco that sell condos and The Infinity is a great building. While I live and work in Portland. I will say the closest thing to this building will be found in Seattle. Not many buildings in either city will have the amenities like that of The Infinity. Most Portland high rise condos do not have large fitness centers, pools, theaters, courtyards, spectacular water views and concierge all in one building. Your best bet for this will be Seattle. With that said, not many in Seattle have all of the above in the same building. The closest thing will be Bellevue Towers in Bellevue. Two side by side towers..41 stories, a beautiful courtyard in the middle, a theater, decent size fitness room, concierge, fantastic Lake Washington views and a hot tub...sorry, no pool! In downtown Seattle your best options would be Olive 8, 5th and Madison, my favorite Fifteen Twenty-One and gaining a ton of popularity from the new popular book Fifty Shades of Grey, Escala condominiums. These buildings, especially Fifteen Twenty-One, offer spectacular views of Eliot Bay much like the views you might be used to with The Infinity.
As for Portland...here comes my sales pitch!
Portland is a wonderful city that is very walkable and I believe, much cleaner than the downtown Seattle area ( my opinion here) The Pearl District offers great dining, art, walking, biking etc. Nothing in the Pearl will compare to The Infinity but The Metropolitan would be your closest thing. Other buildings such as The Casey, The Henry, The Elizabeth and The Gregory are certainly worth looking at. In South Waterfont, Atwater Place will offer great water views but the amenities are pretty sparce in comparison. The developers in the Portland area did not add many amenities to the buildings if you compare them to the Seattle or San Francisco markets. The positive side of this is that your HOA fees will be lower than many of the buildings that have all of the great amenities like The Infinity.

Which ever city you decide on I think you will be very happy as each city has it's own unique characteritics that make them great cities to live in. If you would like to tour all of Portland's condos and lofts, I would be happy to assist you. If you decide on Seattle, I know of several real condo pros that I could put you in touch with.

Best of luck to you on your decision!

Brad Golik
http://www.LuxuryCondosofPortland.com
http://www.TheCondoPulse.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 20, 2012
Thanks to all of you for your valuable input!
There's more rain and TRAFFIC (OMG!) in Seattle.
But I do appreciate the cosmopolitan appeal. These are in Portland:
The Benson Tower has some spectacular views, 1500 SW 11TH AVE.
CASEY CONDOMINIUMS, LEED Platinum, 311 NW 12TH AVE
KOIN TOWER, maybe the most prestigious condos in Portland, 1414 SW 3RD AVE
Civic Condominium, if you are a soccer fan, best Concierge in Portland, 1926 W BURNSIDE ST

These are all from different areas of Portland. Depends on the life-style you want.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your search.
I don't know the "Infinity" but live in and love the Pearl District of Portland. There are several choices for high rise condo living in the Pearl, Downtown Portland and the Cultural District and the South Waterfront. All are nice urban environments and each offer a different set of amenities as well as share some of the same. They all enjoy access to our streetcar line and proximity to downtown life!! If you share some of the attributes of the Infinity, I might be able to direct you to a building OR better yet, simply show you some of your choices on your next trip to the NW. Portland and Seattle are both great cities!! What else can I say?? We have less traffic :-)...
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
503-709-0802
jj@janeesejackson.com
find your next home at http://fabulousportland.com
I've lived and worked in many major market areas of the world but the Northwest is where I call home. Seattle is a little more International but I prefer the ease of walkability and amenities of the Portland area. Seems like Seattle is either steep up, steep down, or too far. Great food and entertainment in either city. Check out the Koin Tower, Riverscape, Eliot tower, or multiple others in the Pearl District in Portland. Although, the Pearl doesn't have the water views you are used to, BTW, Singapore was a favorite.
I AM REAL ESTATE BROKER HERE IN THE PORTLAND AREA. WE MOVED HERE FROM LA AREA IN 1990 AND WE LOVE IT. IF YOU WANT ICANE GIVE YOU SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE AREA. WHEN MOVING HERE WE ALSO WXPLORED THE AREA OF SEATTLE TRYING TO DECIDE WERE TO GO AND DECIDED THAT PORTLAND IS MUCH FRIENDLIER CITY. IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME SEND ME AN E MAIL TO :
GREGORYMTRG@AOL.CO M
Portland is a great city. I'm biased because I live here, but I believe it's the perfect size of city. It's urban, but not overly populated with mass traffic issues that Seattle has. The scenic Columbia Gorge is within an hour, as is Mt. Hood. Forest Park with it's hiking and mountain bike trails is amazing and huge. Portland is known to have the best beer in the world and has many craft breweries in town. We are also famous for our coffee, specifically Stumptown. Many foodies regard Portland as a great haven for food. Several restaurants use local, organic ingredients and food carts are currently a big hit in town. Pearl District in the heart of downtown has many nice high rise condos and the new South Waterfront on the Wilamette River has many new beautiful condos. Consult some local Portland realtors for specific properties that have the best bang for your buck. Feel free to call or email me for some realtor recommendations. I have some great partners in town.