Home Buying in Indianapolis>Question Details

nwlogging, Home Buyer in Indianapolis, IN

Moving to the Indianapolis area for work. Job will last 4 years. What price range for a home would make the best return on investment, and quick sale?

Asked by nwlogging, Indianapolis, IN Fri Jan 4, 2013

Call Jamelle Walker
Jamelle Walker 317-453-0917

You want someone the will work for you. Someone that will do the homework and get the job done. This is the guy. Call Jamelle

Best of luck.
Please call me and we will discuss your possibilities. Carol Deokaran 317-966-4441 Thank you.
Why buy a home? Why not rent a home that way you will not be tied down to one place and can move when you need too. My home is just minutes from all interstates, walking distance from down town, bus line is right on the corner. Call, text or email if interested. Sharonhawes@att.net 317-797-4146.
Thank you for responding to my question about relocating to Indianapolis. I would be interested in renting, if I could find a nice house on acreage with a year to year lease. I'll be starting my new job on the 21st and have a temp apartment in Carmel. Since I've never been to Indiana, except for my interview, this will give me time to decide where to look for housing. I recently listed my home in Alaska and am looking forward to getting settled in Indiana.
Thanks, Greg
Flag Sun Jan 6, 2013
Welcome to Indy!
The answer to your question is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! Shoot me a text, (317)503-0532 and I would be happy to help you. How many bedrooms/baths, basement? dogs? cats? kids?

I'd be happy to help you find your new home!

Depending on where you decided to relocate to, I could put together some IRRs (Internal Rate of Return of an investment) for you on each house you look at. I could also recommend some great areas around Indianapolis that generally are very popular.

Give me a call if you are interested: 317-430-7885

Kord Golliher
Carpenter Realtors
Plainfield, IN

Popular price ranges right now are 150-200k. But in 4yrs that all can change. Better to focus on location and then work to get a home under budget and keep it minimally updated/maintained while you are living here.
With so many great areas it really just comes down to which will provide you central access to your work throughout your 4 years. Carmel is always popular, Fishers is too, as is further North. The west side is gaining ground though as more and more people see the home value one can get and still have fabulous schools (both help resale value).

Feel free to contact me with any questions, I'd love to help!
Claire-Anne Aikman SRES
Carpenter Realtors
The housing industry is really improving in Indiana, so it's a great place to purchase a home. Housing prices are inching up, inventories are dropping, and interest rates are at all-time lows. I can't think of a better time to buy. It's still a 'buyer's market,' but might not be for much longer.

Our housing market in Indiana didn't get hit as hard as some of the sunbelt states and the east and west coasts, so the improvement is a pleasant surprise after business-as-usual. Where you should buy is (I'm sure) a question for debate, but as a realtor who works in many areas around the Indianapolis metro area, Hamilton County and Boone County seem to me to be two of the best areas that you might want to consider buying a home. The homes in these areas are maintaining their value and are in sought-after school districts. Carmel, Fishers and Noblesville are regularly on the 'best quality of life' lists of popular magazines, so you even get free advertising!

My opinion regarding the price range of the home you buy would be to stay in the $125K-$225K range. These are generally the homes that include the greatest number of possible buyers. However, there are many factors working here in your choice of homes because location is always one of the most important considerations, but how well you improve or maintain the property, how many bedrooms and bathrooms it might have, and also the amenities your home would offer to a buyer would also be important. Usually a home with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and attached 2 or 3 car garage would be I highly sought-after home in this market.

What you want to think about is buying a home in a desirable area that the greatest number of buyers might be interested in, then try to negotiate a good price for the home when you buy it, and either make sure it has some nice improvements added to it already, or add some nice touches to the home yourself as you live in it. Nothing sells as well as a well-priced home with popular updates in a desirable school district and location.

Let me know if I can help you any further in your real estate needs. I'm familiar with all areas of the Indianapolis metro area and have been a life-long resident, most recently living in Hamilton County and working a great deal in Boone County, Hendricks County, Montgomery County, Madison County and east, north and westside Marion County (Indianapolis).

Julie A. Barnett
Broker Associate/Realtor
Prudential Indiana Realty Group
(317) 847-0055 (cell)
All good comments from my collegues, but according to what I've read, Carmel has been mentioned as of of the best locations for resale purposes. I've helped many families in the area and will be happy to help you. Please call me at 317-590-5081 or e-mail at flazerov@talktotucker.com. Thank you.
The Indianapolis MSA is a rather large area with numerous opportunities (both good and bad). I would be happy to discuss the particulars of your move and provide the information you are seeking. I also offer an up to 1.25% rebate on my earned commission at closing based upon property purchase price. Please visit http://www.KenFisherRealtors.com and call 317-845-9511. Enjoy your day and thanks for the inquiry.
It's all about location and condition. Are you interested in trying to flip a house? Or, do you want something move-in ready? That's going to make a difference in your RIO. But, the biggest factor will be location. I can give you stats on how quickly homes sell in various neighborhoods. While the northside tends to have a more active market, there are pockets of neighobrhoods in other areas that also are in hgh demand. The downtown housing market has started to show signs of improvement over the last three years. I'm happy to provide you some data, if that would help you at least get started. I would assume that your commute time to the office also would be a factor. You can send me an email with your work location, and I can send you neighborhood stats within a 15- to 30-minute commute. Email me at LauraMusall@att.net or text me at 317.702.0058.

While there are all kinds of exceptions, a "popular" priced single family home in a good neighborhood should sell well after 4 years. Stay away from a condo. Depending on your price range, either a 3 BR/2BA ranch or a 4 BR 2-story is recommended.

I can help you with the best neighborhood and the "right" home. Call me - (317) 529-4178. Peter Knight, RE/MAX Ability Plus (peter.knight@remax.net).
That would depend on what area you would like to live near and price range. We'd love to help if you are interested. Thanks for the inquiry.

Feel free to give us a call.

Christi Coffey
Carpenter Realtors
The location will determine your return on investment. I can help you find a property to fit your needs.
Feel free to call me.
Tamara Allen
Carpenter Realtors
Dear NWLogging:

I recommend renting.

In the best real estate markets of the recent past, homes in the area might have seen a 3-5% yearly appreciation. Certainly there were exception, and some homes saw little appreciation. Adjusting for inflation and the cost of the sale when you need to leave, you'd be lucky to break even at the end of 5 years in the best of times.

Good luck in your search!

Joe Shoemaker
Principal Broker, REALTOR®
MacDuff Realty Group, LLC
317 413.8501