Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

Eric Thompson, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Moving to Seattle- need help choosing a neighborhood!

Asked by Eric Thompson, Los Angeles, CA Fri Oct 12, 2012

I’m considering moving to the Seattle area but I really do not know where to begin. Ideally, I’d like to purchase a home in a nice neighborhood that has fun things to do. For example, great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. are all important to me. I prefer being in or close to densely populated areas, such as downtown. As it stands right now, my price range is about $1,200,000-$1,500,000. What neighborhoods would be the best fit?

Eric T.

Answers

22
Eric T., we sell real estate for a living. Please do not post any more fake questions.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
this is a FAKE question - check out his other questions on his profile
Flag Sat Oct 13, 2012
Thanks, Damon, for catching a fake 'help' request. Although posts like this waste agents' time, its worth pointing out that the answers are thoughtful, well-intentioned, and leave a positive impression of the real estate profession. Kudos to the agents that took the time to answer Eric. It's very possible your answers helped someone else.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Excellent Point!!
Flag Sat Oct 13, 2012
There are many areas that match your desire. The Green Lake area has lots of the things that you like.
The Laurelhurst area is a bit more removed but close to the University, easy to get down town. It is a great community with a golf course very close by. I would be very happy to send you listings in various areas if you would like. And of course, Queen Anne is very perfect, but it is also a bit more expensive.
Real Estate has been my life for 34 years so I know a lot of areas.
Have a great one!
Margaret Sanchez
Lake & Co. Real Estate
206-954-7484
mssold@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 12, 2012
Whether you are moving to across the country or across town understanding how neighborhoods can impact market value is important. Take a look at the comprehensive guide in the link below which will give you most if not all of the considerations to think about when choosing a neighborhood!
Eric,

From your question, it sounds like the Seattle neighborhoods of Queen Anne, South Lake Union or possibly Capital Hill could each fit your requirements. If you will be working on the Eastside, the neighborhoods of Downtown Bellevue or Kirkland would be good areas to consider.

A visit to our fine city will help you decide which neighborhood "fits" best.

Best of luck!

Shawn Springer
Http://www.NWDreamProperties.com
206-795-3223
HI Eric,

I've read through all the responses and the one question that wasn't asked is where will your commute be?
Trying to balance your social life with your work life is step one. If you are working on the Eastside you may not want to live downtown or if you are working in Everett then the Eastside isn't an easy commute.

When do you plan on coming up to Seattle to visit? What makes you want to move to Seattle? Those answers will help you and your agent find you the right fit for you.

When you do come to Seattle I'd love to take you for a tour of our City to help find the right area for you!

Saviya Rowland
CB Danforth
206-334-8348
First, take a few minutes to enjoy this video:

http://goo.gl/aZGjK and make notes.....

Then, email your notes to me. I'll provide incisive details on/about compatible life style venues. You select, I provide annotated videos w/complete breakdowns.

Regards and respect,

Phil Leng, Managing Broker
Keller Williams Real Estate Market Center
206-409-6600
pleng@kw.com
Check out Capital Hill & upper Queen Anne :)
Hi Everyone,

Because there was some concern, we followed up with Eric directly. He's a real person who is considering multiple places for his next move. It's his first experience posting in our community and we encourage you all to give him a warm welcome. Please continue to share the expert opinions only you have.

If you ever have any concerns, please feel free to email us at community@trulia.com.

Thanks!
-Kim, Community Manager
Really? He's seriously considering eighteen places to move to? I never met a client that was considering eighteen -houses- to move to! I bet he's writing a blog, or perhaps researching behavior patterns in real estate brokers.
Flag Mon Oct 22, 2012
Hi, Eric,
In the price range indicated you could live in virtually any neighborhood you would choose. And Seattle is a city of many, distinct neighborhoods. Ironically, downtown Seattle is not one of the more densely populated areas in the city. There is not a large residential population in downtown-- yet! The area that is growing by leaps and bounds, and which offers excellent dining, good nightlife and easy accessibility to many other neighborhoods is South Lake Union and Eastlake. It sounds like you are single, so this neighborhood would be a great fit. It certainly is a great place to start your exciting search! Good luck, Eric!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
this question is bogus - check out his profile for all the other questions he asked about 20 other cities all over the country.
Flag Sat Oct 13, 2012
Condo Living - Downtown Seattle, Ballard is really coming into it's own although it would hard to spend that much, Capitol Hill - all have great walk scores, good quality of life

Single Family Home Neighborhoods - Greenlake, Madison Valley, Madison Valley
Eric,
Finding the right Seattle neighborhood is one of the most important things an out of area buyer can do. We've spent many years working with out of town buyers and in that time have learned that there can be several Seattle neighborhoods that will work well. It's important to work with a agent that knows all the neighborhoods and not one that just specializes in one or two areas. In reading through several of the responses to your question here you can see that most everyone has their favorite area and have recommended several possibilities.

One of the things I discuss on the Real Estate Radio Show I'm part of is finding the right agent that has a intimate knowledge of the overall Seattle/Eastside Real Estate market. If you can find that agent then you will find the right home and neighborhood to buy in. We would be happy to discuss your many possibilities. Let us know if we can help you in your search.

David Bell & Julie Wilcox
RE/MAX Metro/Eastside
http://www.SeattlesBestRealEstate.com
david@SeattlesBestRealEstate.com
Julie@SeattlesBestRealEstate.com
206-200-7737
Hi Eric
You will love living in the Seattle area! You have received some great suggestions! I would just like to say that in addition to Seattle, there is the Eastsde (Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland) and there are many options open to you. I think if you could share your detailed wish list with your new Realtor, you could nail down some fantastic choices to see. One thing for sure, you will receive a genuine welcome from the people you meet and love living here. Best wishes.

Shari
Best way to determine which neighborhood fits your lifestyle best: http://bit.ly/nU67AY
Best way to get your next home: http://www.kirklandhomevalues.com (serving the Greater Seattle and Eastside Areas.
And call us!
206-409-6600
I will visit these websites. Thanks!
Flag Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hi Eric,
I live in Madison Park and love it. It's everything you described except for the night life, there are great bars and restaurants and it's close to downtown. To go really big you're probably looking at a $12 cab which to me is worth it... It's a drag to live in a place where your friends can't find anywhere to park and as you get close into downtown that becomes a problem.
In the $1.2-1.5 range you're going to find a great place. I'm happy to fill in any details if you'd like.
Erik Wicklund
ewicklund@landcast.com
Landcast.com
President, Managing Broker
Hello Eric.......,

In that price range you have many options available to you. Here are several all with in 5-10 minutes of the downtown coridoor. Queen Anne , Madison Park, Magnolia. Magnolia being a little away and moere quiet. Queen Anne overlooks pugeot sound and downtown and Madison park is on Lake Washington just over the hill from downtown....Hope this helps.................Randy M.
Hi Eric! There are several places in the Seattle area that are good for what you have listed above. There are a lot more factors though that play into this (how big of a place, new construction, good schools etc). I would be more than happy to help you through the process if you'd like. Or, I can help answer any questions you might have. I would just need a little more detail before giving you good advice. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Max Feinstein
Max@hallteamre.com
Eric,

Our office is on Capitol Hill in the heart of the city.
Your price range will allow some great options on both Capitol and Queen Anne Hills. The link below will give you one of the cleanest options for buying a new, architectural home with stunning views on Capitol Hill.

What do you think?
Eric,

The great thing about Seattle is that we have diverse array of neighborhoods within Seattle so you are sure to find an area that will fit your lifestyle and personality! Downtown is a great option for all the obvious reasons but we have other areas that are worth considering such as Capitol Hill, South Lake Union, Queen Anne, and etc. I would love to hear more about your needs and wants in detail and how I can help you find YOUR neighbhorhood! Thank you and I look forward to hearing you from.

Christy Kim, ABR
Real Estate Broker/Investment Properties Specialist
Certified Short Sale Negotiator
Atterberry Real Estate Group
206.235.3427 (Mobile) l 425.645.8123 (Fax) l christy@christykimrealestate.com
Hi Eric,

Seattle has so many great neighborhoods. If you're looking for a condo, downtown or Belltown might fit your needs. If you want a house, Capital Hill would be a great option. Bellevue might work as well. I'd be happy to speak with you further, give me a call or email.

Jamie Flaxman
Realtor, Coldwell Banker Bain
jamieflaxman@cbbain.com
206/790-0081
http://www.jamieflaxman.com
I'm open to either. Are there fun things to do in this neighborhood?
Flag Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hi Eric,

I think Seattle would be an excellent choice for you. I moved here about 11 years ago and love it!! I don't think I will ever leave.
There are some really great neighborhoods in the Seattle area and all of them have a slightly different feel. You can move from one block to another and be in a completely different atmosphere. With that said, many of them have the nightlife and other community events that you are looking for. I think the best plan would be for you to come visit and get a feel for the different areas. You really can't go wrong wherever you life.
I hope that helps a little.

Thanks!!
I've visited Seattle before and I really like the feel too. The problem is, I didn't have enough time to visit the different neighborhoods. Thanks for the response.
Flag Fri Oct 12, 2012
From this website not only can you see the homes, but also get a "Walking Score" that shows nearby reastuarants, shopping and services, but you can also see demographics and compare schools.

http://www.thecascadeteam.com/idx/nwmls/
This is very helpful, thanks!
Flag Fri Oct 12, 2012