Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

Eric Thompson, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Moving to San Francisco- need help choosing a neighborhood!

Asked by Eric Thompson, Los Angeles, CA Fri Oct 12, 2012

I’m considering moving to the San Francisco area but I really do not know where to begin. Ideally, I’d like to purchase a home in a nice neighborhood that has fun things to do. For example, great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. are all important to me. I prefer being in or close to densely populated areas, such as downtown. As it stands right now, my price range is about $1,200,000-$1,500,000. What neighborhoods would be the best fit?

Eric T.

Answers

9
Hi Eric,

Tom here, Herth Real Estate. San Francisco is quite diverse with many areas containing the amenities you are looking for. Living downtown myself I understand convenience! I would love to discuss the various neighborhoods with you.

Tom Cacciotti
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012
Hi Eric,
I'd recommend a San Francisco visit to explore some of our neighborhoods and get the feel of our town, there really is no other place like San Francisco. For restaurants we definitely outshine most cities, with the exception of New York. We are also a shopping mecca; I've had clients purchase a place near Union Square specifically for their shopping trips, and then rented it out as a short term corporate condo.
All my best,
Melanie Narducci
HillScape Properties, Inc.
415.738.0552
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 15, 2012
Dear Eric,

It really depends on how many bedrooms and bathrooms you want for your $1.2 - $1.5 price. I would suggest South Beach or SOMA - with South Beach being the better choice. Also Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill and North Beach. Marina and Cow Hollow are close to Chestnut and Union Streets where there are many bars, restaurants and shops....but they are further away from Downtown.

You can go to my website and check out neighborhoods and also go to Links for sites to check out "where the action is."

Cheers,

Sally
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
South Beach is the best. Period. Several new towers are going up in South Beach in the next few years including the second tower of Rincon and 201 Folsom.

Paul
Eric,

I would recommend a visit once you get a chance but here are some neighborhoods for you to consider:

South Beach
SoMa
Russian Hill
Nob Hill
FiDi
Marina
Inner Mission

You'll be able to purchase a condo in the aforementioned areas. Here are some examples of the properties:
http://bit.ly/District_7
http://bit.ly/District_8
http://bit.ly/Dis_9

Lizete
I think North Beach probably fits those criteria best, though there are other areas as well. Telegraph Hill and Russian Hill (both in the general vicinity of North Beach) are probably good options too. Maybe the Castro?

There are even some residences in the Financial District itself, and you can't get more central than that, though a lot of the restaurants cater to lunch customers more than evening and weekend customers.
Not to mention we just got voted as America's Best Place to Live by Businessweek! You can see this at this web address http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/2012-09-26/america…
Hi Everyone,

Because there was some concern, we followed up with Eric directly. He's a real person who is considering multiple places for his next move. It's his first experience posting in our community and we encourage you all to give him a warm welcome. Please continue to share the expert opinions only you have.

If you ever have any concerns, please feel free to email us at community@trulia.com.

Thanks!
-Kim, Community Manager
Thanks, Kim!
Flag Mon Oct 15, 2012
Hi Eric!
There are so many great neighborhoods in San Francisco, and don't forget we are just 7 miles x 7 miles so many neighborhoods are close to downtown.

The Inner Mission was just named the 2nd "hippest neighborhood in America" by Forbes magazine -- I have a luxury condo listing coming up in the neighborhood you may be interested in seeing. There are restaurants such as acclaimed Flour + Water, coffee shops, indoor Cliff Climbing, bars and night spots.

You may also really enjoy a condo near Union Square where you'll find all the best shops, from Macy's, Saks, Tiffany, Hermes, Chanel, Gucci, Barney's, Bloomingdale's and the like and close to museums and theaters. This area has more of a Manhattan feel to it.

South Beach is near the Ball Park -- Go Giants! and the Embarcadero and Ferry Building, with plenty of choices in a wide range of buildings. This area feels a bit like a cross between Santa Monica and Venice Beach.

Welcome to San Francisco! I moved here from New York 20 years ago and absolutely love it.
Cheers,
Melanie