Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Mike Frantz, Home Buyer in Silverdale, WA

Moving to San Diego next month and interested in a safe secure area centrally located around 300k.

Asked by Mike Frantz, Silverdale, WA Sun Feb 17, 2013

Big yard not important. SAFE area central location. Military out of North Island with 9 month old. At least a 3/2 with big kitchen tile or hardwood floors. Move in ready or close to it.

Answers

14
Jerry Heard’s answer
Mike
There are several homes available that meet your family's needs. I can email you some or you can look at my website for homes that are available. Do you want a detached home or would a condo work for your family.
Welcome to San Diego. I am a native and love it here. Let me know if I can be of any help to you.
Thank yo for your service,

Local Help with Your Real Estate Needs

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
Hi Mike -

Welcome to paradise. I just had dinner with two friends from Washington last night and they couldn't believe they were laying out and swimming at their hotel in February - thats San Diego!!

The other thing they couldn't believe was our home prices (they are considering a move also). I am sure agents (including myself) could show you plenty of properties - but truthfully with your description you will have to decide what is MORE important to you. At this price point it would be difficult to get a condo (I hate being the bearer of difficult news, but I believe in honesty up front, not pretending that "unicorns" exist and then trying to tell you a donkey is just as good as a unicorn.

Here's a few sites that may help you get a better idea of trade offs:

Pick neighborhood attributes, prioritize and see your top 10 "matching" neighborhoods and their average pricing:

http://kindredre.com/idxframe.html

Crime report - gives specific crimes and dates:

crimemapping.com

Commute times - this is with average traffic, rush hour add 50-100%:

http://www.titleadvantage.com/mdocs/Distances_Commute_Times.pdf

Hope this information helps - and of course if you want a real estate agent that is also a licensed broker, real estate appraiser, former bank executive and general contractor give me a call. Also awarded 2012 Five Star Customer Service Award and have worked on more than $1 billion in real estate industry!

David Rudd
858.395.6315
david@kindredre.com

ca dre # 01402946
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
Hi Mike:

I am looking for two families with your similar criteria and price point. One is stationed at 32nd Street and the other at North Island. It is a difficult price point to pull off with the criteria you have listed. I would expect that with a child, school district ratings also become a consideration. I don't see Temecula as a realistic option unless you want to spend 2+ hours a day commuting.

If you would like to discuss specifics, please contact me. I work all over San Diego County. The areas I am focusing in on for these families are Chula Vista, Spring Valley, South San Diego. The difficulty is that if you find a place with a monthly HOA or other monthly fee, your purchase price qualification is pushed down. So for example in the Eastlake area of Chula Vista, a $300 monthly hit knocks you down approximately $30k in purchasing power.

So, hook up with a knowledgeable realtor who can show you these things and enable you to adjust your criteria so you can realize your goal. That might mean finding a way to qualify for a higher purchase price and it might mean temporarily moving into military housing (which has a clause to let you out of the lease if you buy a house - one of my clients made that move) so you have the time you need to make this happen.

Talk soon.

BeachBrokerBill
CA DRE 01775528
(760) 525-8698
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
Hi Mike,

If you are not already working with an agent please give me a call. I would love to help you find a suitable property. As others have mentioned, your price point is low for a 3/2 centrally located. However, commute times in San Diego aren't anything like they are in Washington unless you are too far north.
I'd also suggest moving into military housing to start. Liberty Station (family enlisted housing) is a great community. My daughter lived there with her children while she was stationed here in the Navy. They have 24 hour patrols, playgrounds, pool, community center and a lot of activities for families. The housing is townhomes and they are new, spacious, fully equipped and well cared for. Repairs are done within 48 hours and that includes appliances.
Doing this will allow you to get a feel for San Diego and it's distinct neighborhoods. It will also allow your family to meet other military families and having that common bond with your neighbors especially when the active duty member is deployed is invaluable.

Good luck with your search and thank you for your service and your family for their sacrifices.

Maureen Hanley

Lighthouse Realty
2907 Shelter Island Realty
San Diego, CA 92106

619-608-6167 cell
619-222-5478 office

DRE License #: 01916634

https://www.facebook.com/socalreal
http://www.trulia.com/profile/maureenhanley/
http://activerain.com/maureenh
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mehanley/
https://twitter.com/HanleyExecu
Hi Mike,

Congrats on your move to San Diego. It's a great time to buy as the market has been picking up and there are many long term opportunities to build equity rather than spending money renting.

I know most of my clients utilize our state-of-the-art home search site to start. You can go to http://www.GreaterGoodRealty.com and click on the bright orange bar below the photos. You can set up custom searches and receive daily updates when new listings hit the market. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call.

By the way, I am the co-founder of Greater Good Realty. In addition to providing valuable information about the San Diego real estate market, my company donates 10% of our commissions to local charities and non-profit organizations throughout San Diego.

We hope to make a difference for those in our neighborhoods!

Good luck at North Island. I've assisted many helicopter pilots going through training at the base. Still waiting for my private flight....

David Stone
Greater Good Realty
619-206-1551
David@GreaterGoodRealty.com

CA DRE#01888818
Hi Mike,

I have 15 years in the Navy as a HM and was stationed on the USS Nimitz when it was in North Island in 2002. Being a military family guy myself , I work primarily with military families relocating from all over the country. I would like for you to contact my preferred VA lender, Nicole from World Wide Credit to get you pre-approved for a loan. Nicole Cramer 619-279-3592 nicole@cramergrp.com

It is important that you interview a few agents and choose the one that you are most comfortable with and trust. I would like to set you up with a free MLS account to get you started looking immediately and to give you a competitive advantage over those searching exclusively on Trulia. I am available 24/7 so please feel free to contact me anytime. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

Rashard Scott
619-565-3604
scottie1421@gmail.com
I have a 3/21/2 condo, Centrally located soon to be ready for the market. Sale by owner, using an agent for the paperwork only which I pay. Search Pacific Bluffs Condominiums. Huge pool, play area clubhouse etc. Laminate flooring, carpet upstairs. 15 minute commute to NI where I used to work. Remodel in process. 300K
Hi Mike,

Of course you can find a condo, but a 3/2 will be difficult at $300k. There are smaller detached homes in the $300,000's in the La Mesa area more towards East County, and they are close to freeways.

Even though prices are lower, they're still higher than most other parts of the country, especially if you stay central.

Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or for more information on San Diego and our markets here.

Cory La Scala
Independence Realty
619-825-6421
Hello Mike~

Congrats on your upcoming move to San Diego from the great state of WA! Since you will be stationed at North Island on Coronado, you may want to consider homes in the South Bay area of San Diego where it is possible to find homes in the low $300K range. If you find an agent to work with who will help you navigate thru the process of finding the right neighborhood for your family, it will make things easier for you. Welcome!
Chris Gorno
DRE# 01499885
Windermere Real Estate SoCAL
http://www.ChrisGorno.com
Hi Mike,

It sounds like you are wanting a single family home for $300K which is not realistic for our markets...Most single family homes in central San Diego start at about $429K and up...

I don't know where you are moving from but prices here take adjusting to. Your price range typically will get you a two bedroom condo...

Would love to help you...please give me a call to discuss your options...Take care.
Hello Mike,

Thanks for serving our country. You can take advantage of a no money down, no monthly mortgage insurance VA loan. Other than a 3 bedrooms 2 baths, hardwood or tile floors, move in ready home. What else is important to you? What other things are important to you regarding floor plan? What are your recreational needs? What is your attitude towards yard work? How do you like to entertain? Do you want to be walking distance to parks,shopping, and restaurants, etc? These are just a few questions to help me find you a home. Contact me if you need assistance, so when I'm out previewing properties I will find you the perfect home.

Michael Alex
Real Estate Consultant
“The Trustworthy Choice in Real Estate”
cell. 858.652.9218 | fax. 619.269.3766
email. AskMichaelAlex@gmail.com
Pacific Sotheby's International Realty
San Diego,CA
Hi Mike,
I love to help you find that home, please call me to discuse your options.
If you're ok with the commute, I recommend Temecula. There are several single family residences from 3-4 bedrooms close to the I-15. Most are well under the 300k mark.
Mike, give me a call direct.

I happen to specialize in dealing with Military relocations. We'll get you set up immediately to began reviewing potential properties plus prepare financing to make the transition smooth an efficient.

(858) 922-2812 or email at rfirks3@gmail.com
I will be in touch, thanks for the quick reply.
Flag Sun Feb 17, 2013