Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Eric Thompson, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Moving to San Diego- need help choosing a neighborhood!

Asked by Eric Thompson, Los Angeles, CA Fri Oct 12, 2012

I’m considering moving to the San Diego area but I really do not know where to begin. Ideally, I’d like to purchase a home in a nice neighborhood that has fun things to do. For example, great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. are all important to me. I prefer being in or close to densely populated areas, such as downtown. As it stands right now, my price range is about $1,200,000-$1,500,000. What neighborhoods would be the best fit?

Eric T.

Answers

17
Hi Everyone,

Because there was some concern, we followed up with Eric directly. He's a real person who is considering multiple places for his next move. It's his first experience posting in our community and we encourage you all to give him a warm welcome. Please continue to share the expert opinions only you have.

If you ever have any concerns, please feel free to email us at community@trulia.com.

Thanks!
-Kim, Community Manager
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 15, 2012
Hi, Eric!

Sounds like Downtown is going to be awesome for you!
There is an amazing 4br 4 ba detached home available Downtown right now ( they rarely come on the market, since Downtown is mostly condos real estate ) 4000 sf ft for $1.4 m!
Or you can get a gorgeous large condo high up in the condo buildings overlooking the bay, Coronado, etc..

Either way, Welcome to San Diego! :)

Khrystyna Chorna
Real Estate Supergirl
Pacific Sotheby's International
619.808.7064
Hi Eric,
I know this post is from quite a while back but I am checking in to see if you found the right home in San Diego? My office is in La Jolla and that fits your price range perfectly. I welcome any questions you may have. Have new year Eric!
Hi Eric, plenty of good advice here....When would you be able to visit the area so youcan take a look around? There are plenty of great places to live here that fit your criteria.....especially within your price point! Let me know if I can help. Feel free to use my home search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
Hi Eric,
At your price point you have many options - Consider La Jolla for great views, beach life and upscale living, Encinitas for land and big houses, Downtown for activites, location and fun, Poway for the great schools, land and big houses.
It's all good for you .
Check out this article on About.com
http://sandiego.about.com/od/neighborhoods/tp/Top-Urban-Neig…
They break down neighbor info nicely and easily.
Also, here is a link to San Dieg0
http://www.hribar.com/san-diego-events.htmo events
These two sites will give you a good idea of San Diego and the activities.
If you love looking for houses online try - http://www.Sandicor.com. It is the same site the Realtors use, so the info is up-to-date and accurate. If you ready to take to the next level, contact me and I will set-up an auto search that matches your search criteria and then you won't miss any of the hot deals.
I can also send you sales histories, market activity reports and area specific information
Best to you,
Janet McCarthy
Professional Realtor
Connect Realty
jmccarthyhomes@gmail.com
858-243-5719
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Hello Eric,

What type of property will you consider? Condo, Detached or Multi-Unit? Downtown has everything you want within walking distance or just a short cab ride away. With just minutes away to Gaslamp District, Petco Park, San Diego Bay, Balboa Park, Horton Plaza and other shopping locations as well as the finest night clubs and restaurants. Downtown also holds stunning views of the Bay, Coronado Bridge, Petco Park as well as other historic landmarks. I would also consider Little Italy, Bankers Hills, Mission Hills and North Park, they too have great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, and entertainment also within just walking distance or a cab ride away and close to Downtown. If you’re considering coastal, then I recommend Pacific Beach, La Jolla and Del Mar. I recommend you view at least view 20-30 properties in the locations I've mentioned, this way you will get the feel of what you want and feel confident when purchasing. I assure you, you will not find a harder working, knowledgeable realtor as committed to my client’s satisfaction as myself.

Michael Alex
Real Estate Consultant
“The Trustworthy Choice in Real Estate”
cell. 619.581.9348
email. AskMichaelAlex@gmail.com
Pacific Sotheby's International Realty
San Diego,CA
Hi Eric,

At the risk of stating the obvious, perhaps you want to be downtown! La Jolla village is very cool but not as dense as Downtown. I'd be glad to speak with you in person to learn more about your lifestyle so I can then make a more pertinent suggestion.

Give me a call!
Hi Eric,

I moved from L.A. to San Diego a few years ago and I know that it does take some time to find the right fit. The heart of downtown San Diego will check all the boxes you mentioned. It has undergone a huge face lift in the past 10 years and now can claim world class restaurant and music venues with A-list artists. Lofts and highrises along the waterfront make it a perfect spot for those who love the urban lifestyle. But there are many other fantastic communities just blocks up the hill with craftsman style homes and a quieter environment that may suit your needs as well.

San Diego won't have the diversity or the enormous multitude of choices that L.A. has. But, the traffic won't be quite as bad either! If you want to discuss further, contact me. Tracy/Global One/760-445-0058.
Hi Eric,

Making a move from LA to San Diego is a little bit of a change. We're a little more laid back and the beaches are super clean. I think you'll love the different energy and maybe you'll also change your pace or take on new hobbies. Any way you look at it, change is good.
That price range will get you a nice newer condo or a small house close to the beach in Encinitas, Carlsbad or Del Mar. All 3 places have a night life (restaurants, bars, shopping, trendy, beachy, hip) but they aren't "densely populated areas."
For your viewing pleasure I've attached a link to homes in those 3 towns in the price range you mentioned. It's also the web reference below. Here it is: http://www.whittakerrealtygroup.com/listings/areas/61445,67358…
If you're planning a trip to visit and assess the different locations, give me a call and I can show you the differences. I'm here to help.

Chris Whittaker
Keller Williams Carlsbad
760-618-1490
Chris@NCSanDiego.com
Hi Eric,

That is a fully loaded question and one that can taken in many directions. I'm sure you are going to get a ton of responses on here and that is great. However, if you were to actually speak to a person who knows San Diego very well, I'm sure that would be a lot more efficient and a great start. Being born and raised in San Diego and having represented buyers all over San Diego, I can expose you to areas that would meet your needs.

First off, you are in a really good position at that price point and would be able to find a really nice place downtown. Of course, being in actual downtown carries with it a certain lifestyle and may be right up your alley. If you want the hustle and bustle and luxury of being able to walk to all those places you mention, this could be the call. There are many positives to being downtown and as with any neighborhood, there are some downsides of which you should be aware of.

Near downtown are some great neighborhoods (Little Italy, Banker's Hill, Mission Hills) as well.

If you are a coastal type, seeking those same fun things, you may wish to give Del Mar, La Jolla, Cardiff and Encinitas a look.

There are so many more factors that go into being the "best neighborhood" for you. Until someone fully understands your needs, it will be hard for them to pinpoint the absolute best spot for you. It is very common for those who respond on here to steer people to places that they are familiar with (ie...their neighborhood). This is done because this is what they are most comfortable with. However, the key here is what is right for YOU!!!

Any agent worth their salt will do a thorough buyer analysis, process that information, show you areas that fit your needs and guide you along the process from beginning to end.

Either way, the fact that you are making your way down a few hours south to America's Finest City is a great decision. Best of luck in the process. Feel free to give me a call to best assess your needs!

Chad Basinger REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
858-997-3704
chad@chadbasinger.com
Web Reference: http://www.chadbasinger.com
Hi Eric,

Yes, I can difinitely help you in deciding which area of San Diego would be the best fit for you.

As you probably know San Diego has a diversity of areas that offer different types of immenities.

Please feel free to contact me by phone or email and I can get you all the information you will need to make a good decission on which areas you would love to live in.

Smccormick@ColdwellBanker.com
619-990-0302
Hi Eric,

I'm sure you will really enjoy San Diego! There are a few areas that would be a good match for what you are looking for. I would suggest Del Mar and Encinitas based on the limited information you gave. It would be best to sit down with a local agent to discuss the various communities down here.

Please feel free to call or email if you gave any questions regarding San Diego real estate. I'd be happy to assist you in any way!

Also, feel free to use the free property search tool on my website at http://www.mackrealestate.com to learn more about what San Diego has to offer!

Welcome to the neighborhood!!!!

Theresa Mack
Coldwell banker
858-230-4850
Theresakmack@gmail.com
http://Www.mackrealestate.com
The Best neighborhood for you would probably be the Marina District in Downtown San Diego. It is very close to the dining and nightlife of the Gaslamp District but since it is a few blocks away it is still very quiet. The Luxury High Rises in the Marina such as The Pinnacle or The Harbor Club have amazing bay views and are within your price range. If you would like some more information please give us a call at 619-259-5558, email us at info@isellthecity.com or visit our Downtown Real Estate website at http://www.isellthecity.com. We are Downtown specialists. We all live here and our offices are here so we will be able to point you in the right direction
Eric,

Thank for your question, if you are looking at nighlife, entertainment, restaurants and shopping you will have La Jolla, Del Mar & Downtown. We can look at condos, townhomes or single family detached. I also love Coronado and it has so much to offer. Give me a call or email so we continue talking about this, I get to know you and based on that make the best recommendation.

I would love to be your REALTOR

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
Hi Eric,

To begin, you are going to love San Diego and all that it has to offer. It's truly a small town kind of city...

As far as neighborhoods, I would need to have a much more detailed conversation with you to help you narrow things down. Fortunately your price point will enable you to find properties in most areas, but of course it will also depend on the features in the property that are most important to you.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss further.

By the way, I am the co-founder of Greater Good Realty. In addition to providing valuable information about the San Diego real estate market, my company donates 10% of our commissions to local charities and non-profit organizations throughout San Diego.

We hope to make a difference for those in our neighborhoods!

David Stone
David@GreaterGoodRealty.com
619-206-1551

CA DRE# 01888818
First, Welcome to San Diego!
Second, - We do have all those things you want! Downtown would be great fit for You then, also Pacific Beach. La Jolla has it all but not the night life.
Give me a call, and I will show You all the fun places to live and enjoy for a young and active person, and will introduce You to the current market condition in San Diego.
And, its a perfect time to buy!
858-888-6426 Tetyana
Hi Eric,
Well we have a few neighborhoods for you to choose. One of my favorite is Kensington. It is one of the original ones and has great homes in that price range. It's very close to all the things that you want.
Now if you want a condo, then downtown would be good too.
Let me know if you would like more info. joy@imaginesandiego.com
Joy Thomas