Home Buying in Park City>Question Details

Eric Thompson, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Moving to Park City- need help choosing a neighborhood!

Asked by Eric Thompson, Los Angeles, CA Fri Oct 12, 2012

I’m considering moving to the Park City area but I really do not know where to begin. Ideally, I’d like to purchase a home in a nice neighborhood that has fun things to do. For example, great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. are all important to me. I prefer being in or close to densely populated areas, such as downtown. As it stands right now, my price range is about $1,200,000-$1,500,000. What neighborhoods would be the best fit?

Eric T.

Answers

15
HI Jason,

I would love to help you find the right neighborhood in Park City. Choosing the right neighborhood is very important. As you know every neighborhood is different and a lot of factors will go into making that decision.

Some of the questions that will need to be answered for example are: Will you be commuting to Salt Lake City for work? Do you want to walk to restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. or do you mind a short drive? Is access to public transportation important? What about schools?

There are many wonderful neighborhoods in Park City. I would love the opportunity to help you select the right one for you.

Please let me know how I can help. I look forward to hearing from you.

Katrina Authement
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
ABR, GRI, MCNE, NCS, SFR
435.640.1488
katrina@katrinaauthement.com
You can take a look at the Park City Neighborhood Guide here: http://www.utahskiproperties.com/communities.php

Jason Racicot, ABR, e-PRO
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices | Utah
2200 Park Avenue
Park City, UT
http://www.utahskiproperties.com
Have you checked out Black Rock Ridge? Here is the web address: http://www.blackrockutah.com
Hi Everyone,

Because there was some concern, we followed up with Eric directly. He's a real person who is considering multiple places for his next move. It's his first experience posting in our community and we encourage you all to give him a warm welcome. Please continue to share the expert opinions only you have.

If you ever have any concerns, please feel free to email us at community@trulia.com.

Thanks!
-Kim, Community Manager
HI Eric. Park City has alot of great neighborhoods that could be a great area to call home!! If you would like more information please call me at 435 901--0422 and I would be glad to help you out. You can also contact me at dave@mountainskihome. com We live in Park City for the winters, but stay for the summers! Dave Hinman Keller Williams Park City Real Estate
Hi Eric,

You certainly have garnered a lot of responses! I did want to throw in my two cents...

I recently helped a client make the transition from LA to Park City and he and his family could not be happier! It might be nice for you to have a conversation with him. He is a great guy and would welcome the opportunity to give you a "non realtor" perspective.

Please call or email me to get his contact information. You will probably end up friends!

Sharon Eastman
435-962-4663
Sharon@SharonSellsParkCity.com
Eric,

Thanks for putting Park City on the radar as an option for "someplace to be". It really is so unique and the end all answer for so many. What's leading you to be open to leaving LA - do you see this as a toe test to being out the fast paced race of California? You certainly won't be at a loss of things to do here. What are your sports and interests? Moving to the Mountains is a real life-syle choice; anyone you meet here will have a very personal story to share with you. Park City is a very inclusive and rare atmosphere that can really help you thrive and complete your aspirations - easy to reach once you've had a chance to define them. I'd recommend a trip out to gain some personal perspective. Anybody can show you around, but you are the only one that can identiy where you fit best.

Let me know if you'd like any help.

Bridgett Murphy GRI, CRS
Associate Broker
Prudential Utah Real Estate
890 Main Street
Park City, Utah 84060
435 540 5733
Eric Thompson,

Greetings from Park City. The first area in Park City that comes to mind, after reading your preferences, is Old Town--and as close to Main Street as possible. It is surrounded by a quaint neighborhood and It is as dense as it gets for a small resort community. Main Street in Old Town also has all of the fun things that you mention--including a town-lift to take you to the slopes for skiing. A second consideration, with different types of fun things to do--- would be neighborhoods close to the ski resorts or golf communities. They can also be within a few miles of Main Street, e.g. Deer Valley or Park Meadows. Kimball Junction also has many of the fun things you mention; shops, restaurants, entertainment etc., but the neighborhoods you would like are at least a mile or two away. Regardless of what you choose, you will love Park City and the Park City life style. If you are ever this way, look me up, and I will give you the neighborhood tour. You can become fairly knowledgeable about all of the areas in and around Park City--in as little as 2-hours.
Hi Eric,
As the others have said, Old Town could be a great fit. Another possibility could be Old Ranch Road, Willow Creek or Mountain Ranch Estates if you are looking for a larger home than Old Town would offer. Those areas are very close to the Newpark Shopping area, though by what you have described, I think Old Town, Lower Deer Valley, Thaynes Canyon or Park Meadows would be the best fit.
What I like to do with clients who are having a hard time deciding on a neighborhood is to get in the car and drive around for a day. We can do a tour of all of the areas and look at a house in your price range in each neighborhood. That gives you a good idea of how far your dollar will stretch in each area and what kind of houses are available.
Please read the testimonials on my website http://www.parkcityutrealtor.com or on Trulia and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
Melissa Band
Associate Broker
Equity Real Estate Luxury Group
435) 901-3424
http://www.parkcityutrealtor.com
mband75@gmail.com
Hi Eric,
My team has posted some videos on the neighborhoods on our website that help describe them, you can see them at http://www.deervalleyrealestateguide.com
Really each neighborhood has very different attributes and nuances and they are hard to describe in a 60 second video or even an email.
Old Town is area 01 and is obviously the social hub. The areas close that may interest you include Lower Deer Valley, Thaynes Canyon, the Aerie and Park Meadows, but there may be outlying neighborhoods that appeal to you as well. You have to remember the small geographical that Park City really is so there could be many areas that suit you and you can get much more house a bit further away from Main Street
There are so many factors influence which neighborhood might be the best fit...is this going to be a full time residence? will there be school age children? are views important? Privacy?
There is no shortage of realtors in this town, and everyone has an opinion of the best neighborhoods.
I would be happy to speak with you more and hear what it is you need to make you happy here and give you more thoughts on different neighborhoods.
Good luck on your possible move, this is a great place to live!

Greg Harrigan
435 714 0909
Eric,
I asked the same question when I moved here from Southern Cal 6 years ago! Certainly there are neighborhoods that I can recommend for you to look at on the MLS, but really you need to visit them. So many questions to be answered - will you be commuting to SLC? That can make a difference in which neighborhood you pick. How about kids? If you have kids that can change the area in which you choose. Do you like views? Do you want to live in a wooded area? How do you feel about traffic ( as if I need to ask!) All of these factors and many more can determine which neighborhood you will like?
For example, a Brentwood or West LA person would probably not be happy in Studio City or Sherman Oaks - right? Yet they both have great homes to buy. Let me know if I can help you with your search.
Happy to help you find the home that works for you. 435-731-0803 heather@parkcityhousehunters.com
Eric, Old Town could be a terrific option for you. It is a very eclectic area with unique home designs and finish levels. At that price point you are looking anywhere from 2-4 bedroom homes up to 2500 sq ft. You'd be walking or riding your bike to everything ie concerts in deer valley, main st restaurants and bars, and trails right out your back door. Very urban living for a mountain town. Park Meadows, Chatham Hills, and The Aerie also could fit the bill. How many bedrooms do you need? How small or large of a home are you thinking. Happy to speak on the phone as well, 435.640.5780.
Hello Eric,
Sounds like you may enjoy property that is near Old Town. Some of these area would include Park Meadows, Thaynes or Deer Valley. This would put you in a very close proximity to the night life in Old Town and the amenities in the area.
Please visit my site to see the areas or give me a call to discuss your search criteria.

Visit: http://ParkCityInvestor.com

Steve Blankenship
Associate Broker
Keller Williams
435-640-6966
Eric,
Park City has many wonderful neighborhoods. If you like to be within walking distance to dining and entertainment, you should consider Old Town - with its many historic and charming homes. I'd be happy to share further information with you about Park City. You can visit http://www.YourParkCityHome.com or call me at 435/647-6363

Joy Patin
Keller Williams Park City
Eric,
There are so many great places in Park City that would fit your criteria! The PC Board prints this really great map of the area with the different neighborhoods that I would like to send you. Give me a call at your convenience and we will get you one sent over right away!
Doug
435.731.0170