Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Eric Thompson, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Moving to New York- need help choosing a neighborhood!

Asked by Eric Thompson, Los Angeles, CA Fri Oct 12, 2012

I’m considering moving to the New York area but I really do not know where to begin. Ideally, I’d like to purchase a home in a nice neighborhood that has fun things to do. For example, great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. are all important to me. I prefer being in or close to densely populated areas, such as downtown. As it stands right now, my price range is about $1,200,000-$1,500,000. What neighborhoods would be the best fit?

Eric T.

Answers

20
Elena Ravich Manhattan Expert’s answer
Debbie is right - Eric posted the same question about moving to Portland, San Antonio, San Francisco, Seattle, and several other places on the same date...Good luck choosing the right neighborhood!
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Because there was some concern, we followed up with Eric directly. He's a real person who is considering multiple places for his next move. It's his first experience posting in our community and we encourage you all to give him a warm welcome. Please continue to share the expert opinions only you have.

If you ever have any concerns, please feel free to email us at community@trulia.com.

Thanks!
-Kim, Community Manager
Hey Eric,

I would recommend checking out Trulia's market trends to learn a bit more about how the neighborhoods differ: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/New_York-New_York/market-trends/

Hope this helps!
Ali, Community Manager
Hi Eric,

Manhattan island is the most densely populated location in the nation. It is considered by many as the best place to live work and to invest in real estate. Every Manhattan neighborhood is like a small town. Start with one neighborhood at a time and discover the restaurants, night life , architectural style and it's individual personality and you will be able to decide which best fits your lifestyle and budget.

Check out my blog about Manhattan real estate and you can read about each Manhattan neighborhood's character and housing as well as relocation information.

http://nycblogestate.com/p/neighborhoods.html

http://nycblogestate.com/p/relocation.html

_________________
Mitchell Hall
Lic. Assoc. R.E. Broker
The Corcoran Group
office 212.877.6268
fax: 212.230.4244
iPhone: 917.312.0924
MHALL@Corcoran.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 15, 2012
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Hi Eric,

There are lots of different variables which pertain to specific taste and opinion. Since you're not from the city, I would suggest that you try renting before you buy when you 1st come here. A home is a major purchase so you should be 100% sure that you feel comfortable in your surroundings prior to signing a contract. I wish you all the best in your transition.

Looking forward,

Christine Gordon
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Cell: 917.881.2924
Fax: 347.328.9352
Apartment updates available at http://www.christinegordon.postlets.com
"Home is where the heart is."
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Hi Eric
I would recommend finding a short term rental to live in the city so you have time to explore the areas you might be interested in. Therefore when you ultimately buy you know you will have made the right decision! I would be happy to assist you with the short term rental as well. Thanks! Larry Mackler. 917.617.3266
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 12, 2012
Eric,

depending on the size of your family and a type of property (coop or condo) you are looking to buy, you can get a great 1BR condo in a high rise building (or even a 2BR some areas) or a 2-3BR coop in nice neighborhoods.
Also, a choice of a neighborhood will depend on if you are looking for a more family oriented area or more upbeat and busy 24-hours. I personally love Columbus Circle area because there are lots of restaurants and bars, and it is very close to Central Park and all the shopping and transportation.
If you are leaning towards downtown, some areas, like SOHO and Village are very fun places to live. You should keep in mind that between public transportation and cabs it does not take long to get from one part of Manhattan to another. The best way to choose an area would be to explore in person at different time of a day/night and during a weekday, as well as on the weekends because you would get a different feel. Also, you should check the prices and what is available in different areas because inventory is rather limited.
Hi Eric,

The best thing to do is come out to New York and start looking! Everyone has a subjective opinion on which neighborhood are best for personal reasons that might not work for you. What I think is fun may not be what you think is fun. Additionally, you might want to consider an undervalued neighborhood rather than the most popular neighborhood so you can achieve your financial objectives as well. New York City has great subways and if you're bored you can always hop on the subway for a little adventure. In terms of your budget, you'll be able to find larger properties. Feel free to reach out to me when you're ready to move forward.

Kianna Choi
Hi Eric. For your budget, you can find a one bedroom and occasionally a 2 bedroom, in most areas of the city. But the most for your $$$ will usually be found on the Upper East side where inventory is plentiful, and there are many restaurants, shopping, etc. Without children or school consideration, you can be open to just about anywhere, but your budget will determine the size of the unit (bedrooms/square footage) and in general, a co-op will be more attainable. I can be reached at rraines@lgfairmont.com. I specialize in the Upper West and Upper East, but have clients in Chelsea and Downtown as well.

Robin Raines
SVP
LG Fairmont
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
Hello Eric. Congratulations on your interest & decision to buy a new place in the big apple! It is a very large city with lots of attractions, and lots to offer. I strongly urge you to come and take a tour. Tour different neighborhoods and pick one that you like best.

As a Realtor, we are prohibited from steering, and we cannot comment on the "desirability" of an area. If you choose to visit, check out local crime statistics with the local police precincts, talk to residents, and try to get a feel for the different communities. This is what I urge all my buyer clients to do, because the location of your home, is just as important as the home itself.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you the best of luck,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct:(631)638-6193
Mobile: (631)384-3695
cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
I have some nice apartments in Manhattan that you could look at. My name is Rhea and I can be reached at 347-500-2479. Thank you and good luck.
Eric,
You do not say what kind of home you are looking for or whether you are looking in Manhattan the 5 Boros, the suburbs or someplace else in the state. Coop Condo townhouses, multi-family are in Manhattan. In the other boros there are also 1 and 2 family homes..How big a home what, else do you need? It’s really too general! Please narrow it down so we can better help you
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Dear Eric,

The best things to do are: work with a broker for a few months,

Take a couple of those apple tour buses around town to get a birdseye view of each neighborhood.

Rent for a year while you feel out the different neighborhoods.

Once you targget an area you need to go there several times a day to see how you feel about the are.

Good LucK!

Ella Chavers
Prudential Douglas Elliman
917-608-9349
this is a fake question - check out his other questions on the profile page
Flag Sat Oct 13, 2012
Eric,
It's all about you and no matter who you are and what you do, believe me Manhattan is ready for you.
If you like the parks, then you can be around the parks,if you like the rivers, then it is closer to either ends of the island... Do you wish for a night life nd for action at all tomes, then you must be downtown, do you wish to live in a quieter neighborhoods, then you may want to be in a much more residential neighborhoods. Downtown is definitely densely populated, lots of fun, lots of action, and lots of activities, blocks tend to be shorter and most of all transportation most everywhere. Restaurants are everywhere in Manhattan. And they are good! You can have entertainment anywhere and everywhere...fun! Fun! Fun! Where are you coming from? A house? A building? And what are you currently enjoying. Do you wish for the same exact housing amenities here as in your current home?
1.2- 1.5mil downtown can give the option of one to two bedroom. You should go out and see different neighborhood and compare them... At the end of the day, when you find the apt, you will kmoakw. It
Fern Hamberger
Citihabitats.com
Eric T,
As a Realtor in the New York area, I would be happy to asst. you in
finding your next home. Please feel free to call me at 347 932-0609.
Hi Eric:

First, real estate agents are not allowed, by law, to comment specifically on good or bad neighborhoods. I'll follow that by saying NYC has changed so much over the years that there are great restaurants, nightlife and shopping scattered all over the city. Where you end up could depend on many factors such as close proximity to where you'll be working or a neighborhood where you have friends you'd prefer to be close to. Each neighborhood has its own "flair" and I've lived and worked in almost all of them so I'd be happy to have a conversation with you about your likes and dislikes and take it from there. Feel free to call any time. It would, of course, be best for you to come and spend a few days here prior to moving so you can look at places in different neighborhoods and get a feel for which neighborhood best fits you.

Nancy Brennan
The Corcoran Group
917-568-7701
nbrennan@corcoran.com
Eric,
There are many terrific neighborhoods in NYC. When you speak about "great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc." you are describing numerous neighborhoods. My suggestion would be to come here and spend time exploring different neighborhoods. See which excites you the most. Feel the "vibe" of different neighborhoods and see which click best with you. Then, when you have a sense of where you feel most comfortable, contact a skilled, experienced agent, and then you can hone in on specific buildings.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
Eric:
Your question is one that is asked all the time. And you have received some great responses. Additionally, check out each neighborhood at night. I tell my buyers to do the Benjamin Franklin which is on one side list what you want and on the other what you don't want. Since it looks like you have a partner both of you compile your list and then compare. I would start with the UWS (upper west side) around the Lincoln Center area has the most entertainment.
Get a book on Manhattan that has all the city sights/entertainment and the rest can be filled in.

Not knowing what your time frame is nor what you expect for your budget you might want to email me and I'll be happy to send you Corcoran's 3rd quarter housing report for Manhattan. And respond to any other questions.

Barrie-Louise Switzen
Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
Member Corcoran Cares
P: 212.875.4077
F: 212.230.4215
M: 646.831.5576
BSWITZEN@Corcoran.com
888 Seventh Avenue, New York NY, 10106
Hi Eric,

I think the best option for you is to walk around the city. Since it seems you do not live here, it is not likely you will buy something before you see it in person. Spend the weekend here exploring. All neighborhoods in Manhattan offer great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, etc. It will be the neighborhood that you feel most comfortable in. No one but you can determine that.
A short term rental here is a great idea for you to "try on" your new home. Plus if you are financing a home it will take a few months to go through the underwriting process here. Banks have now been giving us a 60-90 day period where it used to be 45-60 days to close.
I would be more than happy to speak with you further on this matter and answer any questions you might have.

Annette

Annette Holmgren
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Bond New York
aholmgren@bondnewyork.com
401-837-9445 c
917-595-4643 d
Hi, Eric you could shoot me at l.sanchez@myfinancialconnections.com and will be gladly to help you in find it a nice neighborhood and entertainment things to enjoy your life style. I have coop and nice properties in Upper Manhattan or Midtown, let me know. Have a nice day. Thanks