Home Buying in Indianapolis>Question Details

L.J, Home Buyer in Avon, IN

Moving to Metro Indy, this summer. No kids. Partners 20 yrs (late 40's). Seek advice about cost of living, the communities, and general

Asked by L.J, Avon, IN Tue May 21, 2013

impressions We would like advice about the cost of living, the communities, and general impression of the surronding counties near Indy. Is water, sewer, Electric, Gas, Internet, cable or Property TAXES higher or lower in Marion, Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, johnson, Morgan, Hendricks county? Basically we are trying to get a feel for these cost. Any Help is welcomed and greatly appreciated !

Answers

10
Hi Mac,

If you check out my website you should be able to find the answer to your questions. Please feel free to call or email me with any questions or if you would like to see a home.

Jamelle Walker
Phone: 317-453-0917
Email: jamellewalker2002@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 25, 2013
Mac,

This website will help you find out a lot of information about the neighbor hoods and community.

Click here to see.................... http://www.homefacts.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 22, 2013
Like most metro areas, different communities have their own cultures and personalities. This is true for both the Indianapolis area as well as the suburban areas. I've found that a lot of people moving from outside the area, decide on an area based on three major things: Schools (since you don't have kids it's not as big as an issue, but something to consider for resale), commute time and amenities. I tell people to think about how you spend your time. Is it important that you be able to walk to shops and restaurants? Do you want to be near parks, shopping, golf courses, etc. You'll find the cost of living to be pretty comparable throughout the metro area. Do you want a more urban neighborhood, or are you more comfortable in suburban areas.

While you can look at all kinds of stats about median home prices, just like any area, some neighborhoods are simply more expensive than others (it's that old supply-and-demand thing we learned in econ). Southern Hamilton County (Carmel and Fishers) tend to have high home values and costs than other suburban areas. Zionsville (southern Boone County, west of Carmel) tends to have even high home prices than Carmel and Fishers.

Fishers routinely has been ranked by Money Magazine as a best small town in the US. Carmel and Noblesville (north of Carmel and Fishers) also have received national accolades for being great communities.

While there are some rural areas in northern Hamilton County, Henricks, Hancock and the southern part of Johnson County tend to have more farmland and feel more rural.

And, while you may have seen reports that show that Hamilton County is the wealthiest per capita income compared to other metro counties, the tax rates are actually among the lowest.

Utility costs are going to be really similar. Marion County is covered by Indianapolis Power and Light (electric) while Citizens Energy provides gas, sewer and water. Vectren is the gas company for most of the suburban areas, while Duke Energy is the electric provider.

As I tell any of my clients moving here from out-of-state, the best thing to do is define what's most important, visit areas that meet that criteria to get a better sense of the type of homes available, housing costs and community amenities. If you don't have an agent, you need to find someone who really knows the area, not just where the houses are, but the hot spots.

If you'd like more specific information, I'd be happy to provide what I can. In terms of community features, consider going to http://www.visitindy.com, http://www.eightgreattowns.com and chambers of commerce sites for the various counties.

Best of luck,
Laura
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 21, 2013
Hi, I hope you are excited about your relocation to Indy... We are excited to have you join our community.

You will find utilities are going to be pretty much the same in the great Indy area. The biggest impact will be based on the type and age of home construction. Typically Gas heat will be more affordable then electric although some new places do have a combination approach that is very efficient. If you find yourself in a condo, especially in the downtown area, you will find mostly electric heat but because you have units on all sides the costs are still very reasonable.

In Indiana real estate taxes are 1% of assessed values for primary residences, if there is a mortgage in place. (2% if the property has been used as a rental) Assessed values are supposed to be close to actual value. So bottom line taxes will follow the home prices but otherwise there will be little difference between areas except that like most cities the average price will be higher in some parts mostly based on location and demand for that area. Note if there is a notable difference between the sales price and assessed value (assessed value is greater) then after you close you may be able to appeal the assessed value. Your success will in part depend on how long the place was for sale when you bought it and other recent similar sales. (i can explain further if you want) If you buy a place that has been used for a rental then your tax bill for the 1st partial year will be a bit higher but then the exemptions will kick in lowering the rate because it will be your primary residence the following year and beyond.

On my web site http://www.cityhomesandlifestyle.com you can search by community and in some areas by neighborhoods and developments. It's a new update/release of my site and i am still getting it fully up to speed on some parts of town. If you find interest in a part of town that's not fully populated then just let me know and i can probably rush the release of that community for you.

I would also strongly encourage you to work with a buyer's agent that only represents you vs. calling listing agents on places that interest you. You can learn why at http://www.AgentsThatWork4U.com. The cost to work with a buyer's agent is literally less than $200 and they will work ONLY for your interests.

Last i have to make a pitch for downtown. While i work with buyers and sellers all over Indy i live downtown, 80% of my practice is downtown and i can't tell you how much i love living downtown having spent the vast majority of my adult life out in the burbs. Let me know if have any questions and i would be happy to help you. While most of my clients don't have relocation packages I am also a certified relocation agent. So if work is bringing you to town, and there is a relocation program helping out, i can help there too.

Good luck with the move.. I have spent a lot of time in Denver through the years and like the city, While we don't have the mountains or as much snow Indy is a great city and has received many awards and a lot of recognition in the past few years as a great place to live.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 21, 2013
Hi, Mac! I lived in the Denver area many years ago (Aurora) and at that time, the cost-of-living in Denver and Indy were much the same. However, the years have resulted in a much higher cost-of-living in the Colorado/Denver areas than there is in Indiana or the Indianapolis Metro area.

It's possible to get a very nice home here in Metro Indy for much less than you would have to pay in Denver. I'd love to help you and your partner find an area and place that's just right for you both. I would say that communities vary on the cost of utilities and taxes. Hamilton County is a very popular area and there are communities that have lower taxes than Hamilton County, although utilities aren't real high in Hamilton County.

Give me a call and we can discuss what you are looking for and I'll do some research for you to give you the most informational data available. I'm currently working with some other clients from other states and also do not feel the need to steer my clients toward one particular area.

Thanks for writing!

Julie A. Barnett
Broker Associate/REALTOR
Prudential Indiana Realty Group
jbarnett@prudentialindiana.com
website: jbarnett@prudentialindiana.com
(317) 847-0055 (cell)
(765) 769-5565 (office)
DOWNLOAD MY FREE MOBILE APP: Text HL6 to 87778
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 21, 2013
check out the site jamellewalker.kwrealty.com
It lists each area, it will take you to the areas home page and all the answers are at your finger tips.

Jamelle Walker is a really good realtor if you are looking for one. His number is 317-453-0917. Email jamellewalker2002@yahoo.com. He should be able to help you.

Best of luck
Hi Mac,

Well, it is a sad day when anyone has to move away from Colorado, but Indy is pretty great in it's own right! In general, different municipalities have varying costs of living although your utilities and cable/internet costs shouldn't vary too greatly. Marion county has a 1% property tax cap (1% of tax assessed value), while some municipalities, like Brownsburg in Hendricks, have notoriously higher property taxes. I don't feel these differences are enough to guide you; instead you should go for whatever particular community fits your lifestyle and interests the best...

My process is pretty simple: I guide you in getting a pre-approval from a good lender, we talk and make sure we get along well, I listen to what you're looking for exactly, show you what is out there, and let you pick what's best for you both. Feel free to get in touch with me if you'd like!

Thanks, have a great week!

Joe Mann
Realtor - Associate Broker
Century 21 Rasmussen Co., Inc.
317-610-6590
http://www.joemann-indyhomes.com
jmann@century21ras.com
Hello! I got your inquiry into living in Indianapolis and/or it's surrounding towns & cities. I would love the opportunity to find out more about you and your partner's housing interests as well as your life interests! Please, visit my website if that would help you to get to know me a little bit. Call me or emailme with any questions. Let's get started. :)

Penny

Penny A. Narum, Realtor & Professional Land Surveyor
RE/MAX Legends Group, Indianapolis
http://www.pnarum.remax-Indiana.com
317-863-4605
PennyNarumRealty2010@Comcast.net

If you would send me your email, I would be more than happy to send you a cos of living index report that will answer all your questions!

Thanks!
Tiff Atkinson
Real Estate Broker
Carpenter Realtors
tatkinson@callcarpenter.com
317-612-4546