Home Buying in Lincoln>Question Details

mxwstehr, Home Buyer in Lincoln, NE

Moving to Lincoln in July. Should I rent or buy?

Asked by mxwstehr, Lincoln, NE Thu Jun 13, 2013

My wife are newlyweds and are moving to Lincoln from New Jersey in July. I'll be going to UNL for my doctorate, and my wife is a preschool teacher. Realistically, our combined salary will be between $30,000 and $40,000 while I am in school for the next 3 years. We don't want to live in an apartment building, but renting a house seems expensive. I'm wondering if it might be better and possibly cheaper to buy a house. We would be first time buyers, but we have some money saved.

Answers

3
I have a couple rent to owns available. Require $4000 down and we set up a monthly payment and purchase price.

Let me know if you want anymore details,

davidbader1@hotmail.com
Renting a house in your financial situation would be a step backwards. Assuming you have no children, then it *could* be a good move to buy a home rather than rent an apartment.

However, there are many other factors that you need to consider as far as lending requirements, having enough time to move, etc.

I would be happy to discuss this worth you further to help you make the *right* decision for your family, as opposed to just a blanket "well of course you should buy a house, even if you can't afford it!"

Hope to hear from you.

Bob Jorgensen
402-440-9773
bobjorgensen@kw.com
With low interest rates and a real estate market that has seen appreciation in recent months, I would suggest buying a home for your stay in Lincoln. You can probably find something that would be cheaper than renting, all while accumulating equity for when you plan to sell down the road. Let me know if I can be of any help!
Ashley Person
402-202-2752
ashley.person@homerealestate.com