Home Buying in Bakersfield>Question Details

Ashley_a_1984, Home Owner in Chaska, MN

Moving to Bakersfield from MN.

Asked by Ashley_a_1984, Chaska, MN Sun Feb 10, 2013

Should we rent for a couple mos so we can look for & buy a house OR buy while still in MN? Will a lease void if we decide to buy?

Answers

4
Hi Ashley,

Long distance moves are both exciting and maybe a little terrifying! I know from personal experience what it's like to move to a completely unfamiliar area and have to establish a new household and all the auxiliary services - doctors, schools, shopping, etc.

Whether or not you should lease first depends on a number of factors:
Do you get any scouting trips?
Do you have kids in school?
How soon are you moving?
Do you need to sell your house in MN in order to buy another one?
How long do you expect to be in this area?
Have you considered how far a commute you are willing to do?

Are you even sure you want to be in Bakersfield? Lots of folks that work there choose to live in the Tehachapi area because of the lifestyle and more rural feeling.

I would be happy to help you talk through some of these issues so that you can make more informed decisions. Call me at 661.375.7325

As has already been said, inventory is low but I believe you get the house you are supposed to have. Although it is vital to get pre-approved with a lender before you start to look, I also believe it is important to work with a local lender who is familiar with how business is done in the area you plan to live in.

I have a strong team of business partners that work together to get the best outcome for folks relocating to our area. I'm happy to try to answer any questions you may have about moving.
Thanks for getting back to me! We will have to sell our house in MN in order to move. My husband has family in Bakersfield but location really depends on where he can find employment. We currently have our mortgage through wells fargo, I beleive we can work with them on another loan? I have a running list of 'Favorite' houses that I would be interested in checking out. We may be able to plan a scouting trip, should we wait until we accept an offer on our house to scout in CA? And if we were to find a house on our scouting trip typically how fast can we make things move? I would hate to rent for 6-12 months. We do have a kindergartener and a fifth grader so schools are important.
Thanks again! ~Ashley
Flag Tue Feb 12, 2013
Ashley,
I own a Property Management company, as well as sell homes. In most instances, you will be required to sign a one year lease on a rental. But this is not bad. This is will give you time to get adjusted to your new community before you buy a home.
As said below, the inventory currently is very short, so again, waiting may be a better situation. Call me if you have any questions about rentals, areas of town, etc...
Steve Kittrell
Profeta RE Services
661-303-0463
As the other agents have put in their e-mails, there are many issues you need to take into consideration. If I were in a position to buy, I definitely would buy due to the historically low interest rates. FHA, which is the lowest down payment loan you can get, is already making changes in their lending relative to mortgage insurance which will affect your monthly payment. I would look for an agent who is familiar with Bakersfield and can get you referred to a lender to pre-qualify you. I know of no reason why you would not be able to buy even though you reside in MN. But, I would think you wouldn't want to buy a house, sight unseen so you might need to make a trip here to look for a home after you get pre-qualified. The first step is PRE-QUALIFICATION. Call me if you need further. I would be happy to help you. DEE OLIVER - REALTOR - RE/MAX MAGIC - 661-747-7763
Hi Ashley,
You can try to do a 6 month lease but the lease will not void if you buy. To be honest, you may need longer just because we don't have a lot of inventory of resale homes right now. So, you may make a few offers on a few properties before getting an acceptance!
I would go ahead and contact a local lender so you can get pre-approved and then have a Realtor start sending you homes in an area of Bakersfield you'd like to live. Then you can keep an eye on what types of homes are on the market and when you get here you can hit the ground running!
If you would like for me to send you the contact information for a couple really reliable, local lenders just send me an email or give me a call. I'll be happy to get you set up on emails from the MLS once you know what your price point will be for your future home.
If you have any other questions regarding our market, don't hesitate to call or email!!

Thanks & good luck with your move,
Valerie