Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Rreni77, Renter in

Moving to Austin area

Asked by Rreni77, Wed Jul 11, 2012

I am planing to move to Austin in a few weeks, and looking either to rent or purchase a home. What is the best area for schools and commute to the Downtown area?

Answers

11
Dear Rreni77,
You have gotten multiple answers that are promoting certian areas or neighborhoods. The key to your question is the schools, and nobody has really addressed that. I am giving you two websies that will help you determine which schools you want your children to attend. http://WWW.GreatSchools.org and http://WWW.SchoolMatters.com. You may see how the schools rank and the number of students to each teacher, teacher blogs and parent bogs on varous subjects etc. These sites will help you decide where you really want to be, then we can set up a search that will send you homes that feed only into the schools you choose. If you need more help please feel free to give me a call. The Eanes School District has a great reputation, but its in the most expensive part of Austin and that may not fit your budget. Where ever you choose to live in Austin I would be happy to help you to make the move to Austin!

Betina

Betina Foreman- Realtor, C.N.E.
Austin Home Girls Realty
1601 West 6th Street
Austin, TX 78703
Clarksville, Tarrytown, Bryker Woods
That is an excellent question and one that will attract many suggestions and opinions no doubt. First I'm sure you know by now that Austin keeps coming up with many publications (including Forbes Top 10 list of places to live) as the 3rd fastest growing city in the United States. As such, we don't just have one good area, we have many! It really comes down to personal preference. Just this past week I took a couple on a tour of the city as they just moved here and wanted to know the same thing. I showed them about five different neighborhoods from North to South to Central Austin so they could get a feel for each.

I will tell you the same thing I told them. It comes down to: budget (renting or buying), your basic needs first, personal preference, then wants (golf, food, night life, etc.). I live in Avery Ranch for example and I love my community. Coming from West Los Angeles a few years ago, Avery Ranch is a fantastic community where neighbors really are neighborly and say hello! I saw someone mention Eanes. Eanes is a great school district if you like the area and it fits your budget. Leander is also a great school district, as is Round Rock. Avery Ranch for example is about a 20 minute commute to downtown. Round Rock West would be about 25-30 minutes. Round Rock East would be 30-45 minutes depending on location.

If you want modern, trendy and lots of night life, I would suggest somewhere near downtown or just south of Austin like Circle C or the South Congress area (I have some condos for sale on South Congress that are new and nice). If you want neighborly, kid friendly, pet friendly and a newer community with contemporary homes I would suggest Avery Ranch.

Avery Price point starts at about $185,000 and goes up. Cedar Park is about the same but an older community. Brushy Creek West is brand new and starts around $240,000. Round Rock is similar to Cedar Park and has a mix of communities from East to West. Lakeway (out near Lake Travis) is a bigger mix of small ranch homes and more expensive estates, however the driving distance to downtown can range 30-45 minutes. Jolleyville around Anderson Mill is a good North-Central location around 183 and the 360 with prices from the low $200K and up.

As you can probably see... your question is subjective and rather difficult for any one person to answer the same way twice.

I would suggest if you are serious about buying or leasing to give me a call and arrange a time to discuss your parameters in greater detail to narrow your search. I'd be happy to help you find your new home.

Joe Casey
Keller Williams / Selling Austin
http://www.sellingaustin.net
https://www.facebook.com/SellingAustin
(512) 800-1316
Thanks for your question. Typically, the Eanes school district is considered that #1 shcool district in the Austin area, however, if you don't mind a 15-30 minute commute to downtown each day, this
will open up a large number of exemplary school districts, outside of Eanes. Since you are asking about the school district, you probably have kids and if so, do you want to be in a planned community subdivision? Pools, tennis courts, hike and bke trails, playgrounds, etc.. If so, this
will help determine some areas that you might have the most interest. If not, what are you looking for in a property? Size of home, size of lot, privacy factors, etc... If you have a moment, I would love the opportunity to talk to you in more detail about your move to the Austin area.

John Raudy
512-554-3749
Much is based on what you want to pay for your rental amount per month OR mortgage you are qualified for . Most Realtors will interview provide communities might work with your family specifications.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
To give you a straight answer, in the Austin School District, the Northwest Hills area has some of the highest rated schools with Doss Elementary and Hill Elementary, Murchison for Middle School and Anderson for High School. If you go to my website, http://www.prudentialtexasrealty.com/allan.hanson, you can find the school rating systems for the Austin area. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to call or write. Welcome to the Austin area. Allan
You have a lot of good answers from Realtors and it just shows you that the sooner you have a Realtor doing all this work for you the better. You do not pay for their services so why not use them. I am happy to fax, email, or mail you the ranking of every elementary, middle, and high school in the area along with information on Montessori schools if you like. Let me know as I am here to help.

Dan Burstain, Realtor
JB Goodwin REALTORS
Direct Line: 512-588-3260
Dan@JBGoodwin.com
The best area is the one you can afford. It's all a matter of price. For instance the best rated high school is Westlake, but to buy a home in that area, you need a hefty budget. That doesn't mean there aren't any good schools in more budget friendly neighborhoods, but in order to answer your question, a price range and other details about the number of bedooms, etc. are necessary. Regarding commute to downtown, if you buy in one of the suburbs, at least 30 minutes, probably 45 in rush hour.

Vivianne Dordea
Sierra Homes Realty
vdordea@austin.rr.com
512-970-8814
As mentioned previously, there are a lot of other details that would need to be addressed such as size and budget. Also, is a 30 minute commute reasonable? Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588
Hi, and welcome to Austin.

You ask one of the most common questions every newcomer to Austin has. It was my first question, when I moved here, too.

There are some great areas with fantastic schools that are close to Downtown, but as always there are lots of options. For instance, the Westlake area, with the Eanes School District is only minutes away from downtown, and has top rated elementary and high schools. But there are other areas, too.

If you have time to chat in the near future, I can talk to you about other specific areas and schools. We can find great neighborhoods based on your lifestyle, and family size.

Feel free to call or email when you are ready to learn more that I can type into this little box.

Eric Hegwer
512.712.5842
Eric@EricEstate.com
http://www.EricEstate.com
If you are a serious renter/purchaser, please contact me or another REALTOR who can be more specific with your request. There are many questions we need to ask you to truly help you make your decision and your transition smooth. Our service can be free of charge to you as we will be compensated after closing. But we need to prepare a researched analysis on what seems to be such a simple inquiry. I do hope this helps you and understand that we are here to guide you in the direction YOU want - a pleasant, stress-free transition.

Laura McMillan
REALTOR, ABR, ASP, CLHMS, CSR, ePRO, GRI, SRS
Avalar Austin Real Estate
http://www.avalaraustin.com
512.903.5268
laura@avalaraustin.com