Home Buying in Aspen>Question Details

Eric Thompson, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Moving to Aspen- need help choosing a neighborhood!

Asked by Eric Thompson, Los Angeles, CA Fri Oct 12, 2012

I’m considering moving to the Aspen area but I really do not know where to begin. Ideally, I’d like to purchase a home in a nice neighborhood that has fun things to do. For example, great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. are all important to me. I prefer being in or close to densely populated areas, such as downtown. As it stands right now, my price range is about $1,200,000-$1,500,000. What neighborhoods would be the best fit?

Eric T.

Answers

6
Eric,

17 years ago I moved here and have never looked back. Aspen is one of the biggest small towns you will live. There is more hiking, biking and skiing, music and fantastic food in the downtown core.

There are some wonderful core condominiums that you could purchase in your price range that you could walk to all that is important to you. I see you wrote a home which would be difficult to obtain however the east side of town has a couple options that would be closer to a home atmosphere.

The east side of town is just a brief couple moments from town and is quiet and easy access to everything you desire.

I would like to have the opportunity to earn your business! Please give me a call at your convenience at 970-379-2299 or email me at brendawildaspen@gmail.com

Brenda Wild
Owner/Broker
RE/MAX Premier Properties
http://www.aspenpremierproperties.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hi Eric,
It sounds to me that you would like to choose a property in the Aspen downtown core. To afford more space, you could buy right outside the core in the Smuggler Mountain area, just East of town, or in the West End at the top of Main Street (South side of the S curve) where there are many nice condominiums with some great views. It would be hard to find something in the West End section that is on the North side of Main Street as that is primarily single family homes and duplexes with prices starting in the $3 million range typically. How many bedrooms do you need? What style do you like? Are views important to you? Let me know and I can send you my neighborhood overview and some properties that may fit your needs.

Myra O'Brien myra@homesNaspen.com 970.379.9374
Hi Eric,
You've had some great answers to your question but there is a bit morei nformation needed to really help you find the right neighborhood for you. Are you married (or with a significant other) and do you have children? Obviously schools would be a priority and that would help determine the best place for you.
Aspen is a very small community-8000 in the Aspen area and 2000 more in Snowmass Village. Snowmass Village is, just that, a Village. There are restaurants (with many more to come once our "new" development gets going again, shops and lots of entertainment BUT not in the traditional sense. We don't have a movie theatre, bowling alley, or things that a bigger city might have. What we do have is wonderful special summer events, like chili fest, the balloon festival, the Labor Day Music festival and on and on. We have outdoor activities galoure.
Aspen itself has many wonderful restaurants, lots of shopping, one movie theatre with three screens, and we have the old Wheeler Opera house that offers films, live concerts, music, etc. We have one private night club and one public one. We have wine bars and coffee houses.
You must remember that we are a resort so many of these thins are seasonal. We definitly have different seasons-the high seasons are mid December through the end of March where you will find so many people and things to do it will boggle your mind. Then we have the quiet season-May, September, and October where there are still things to do but there are fewer people and some of the restaurants close. Then we have off season-the rest of the months were it is super quiet and a lot of locals are on vacation.
So you can see it is not a traditional "city". But if you are looking for beauty, los of special events, lots of outdoor activities, good health, and practically no crime, we are what you are looking for!
Hi Everyone,

Because there was some concern, we followed up with Eric directly. He's a real person who is considering multiple places for his next move. It's his first experience posting in our community and we encourage you all to give him a warm welcome. Please continue to share the expert opinions only you have.

If you ever have any concerns, please feel free to email us at community@trulia.com.

Thanks!
-Kim, Community Manager
Thank you as it was a bit suspicious......
Flag Mon Oct 15, 2012
Eric,
Congratulations on making the move to the greatest mountain town in America. The free bus system permits you to zip into town in a few minutes from almost anywhere. Since 2005, I have lived in Snowmass Village and currently live right in the core of downtown Aspen so I walk everywhere. There are great options in your price range so I will gladly tour properties in the neighborhoods that met your needs. In Aspen, condominiums are in your range and a SFH is reachable in Snowmass Village, Brush Creek Village or "Down Valley" in Basalt and Carbondale. Please visit my website http://richardberkshirerealestate.com/ or email me richard@joshuaco.com to discuss your needs. I will create a personal web portal for you with "good deals" once we determine what properties are of interest. Call any time (970)948-8902. Best regards, Richard Berkshire, Joshua & Co. Aspen Christie's International Real Estate
Eric,

Thanks for the question on Trulia and congratulations on making the move to Aspen like I did 40 years ago.

Any neighborhood would be wonderful depending on your circumstances. Some neighborhoods are more active than others as full time home owners only spend about 2 months a year in town. The West End is an area that is very quiet in the off season.

You can live in the Central Core if you prefer as you can walk to everything. This is very popular for rentals if you decide to be out of town a while and would like some extra income.

Parking will be an issue downtown unless you buy a unit such as a Southpoint condo which has a garage. Otherwise you will have to walk a few blocks to your car for long term parking.

The free bus service is excellent if you would like to be away from the busy downtown area.

Most likely in your price range you will have to buy a condo and be in a Homeowners Association.

Recently there has been a flurry of exterior remodels in the older condo buildings that would trigger a special assessment. Most have completed this already but make sure of this before you make an offer on anything.

Try my website http://www.ljaspen.com or call me at 970-618-4077 for more information.

Thanks again Eric and please feel free to contact me at any time.

LJ