Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

craftman.jim, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Moving soon from NYC. Your advice on where / how to start looking.

Asked by craftman.jim, New York, NY Mon Oct 7, 2013

An employment change will bring me to Austin around the end on Nov. I'm single, will be working on Congress, close to public transportation is preferred. I've allocated 250K to purchase outright. Pricing looks all over the place, and condo rules look extremely strict in the city.

Call me I can help. Austin Resident for 20 years. I have all the resources to aid you in your home search.

Bruce Keith
C: 512-963-8808
E: BruceKeith.atx@gmail.com
W: brucekeithrealestate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 13, 2013
Jim I recommend South Austin as well. I would suggest purchasing a house over a condominium unless you prefer not to worry about property upkeep and wish to be close to the downtown area.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 12, 2013
End of November gives you about 50 days to find and close on a home.

It can take a few days or a few weeks to find the right property. And the loan process will take 30-45 days to complete everything.

Do you have plans to come to Austin before work starts and scout a few areas?
I have 8 in downtown area in your price range. Please call or e-mail and we can discuss further.
Thanks, Jim Harris-HomeCity Real Estate-512-689-9874.
Well, I know the city very well and I made the same basic move 10 years ago (from southern Connecticut/northern New York). I would recommend the south Austin area and if the rules of the condos seem strict to you, perhaps a house would be better. Actually, houses bounce back/appreciate faster and are less volatile in the bad markets as well, so that may be a better route financially too. I would have to find what you consider strict and if a house for a condo would be a better fit based on lifestyle, amenities, etc.

Frankly, I would get with a good agent as soon as possible as you have a fairly short window. I personally would be happy to talk and possibly work with you as your REALTOR®. I happen to be one of the top agents in the greater Austin area and specialize in Residential Real Estate, and do not charge anything for my extensive services. I have a great team of inspectors, title people, etc. to assist us throughout the process(Slightly different than New York), and set you up with a free, real time MLS website to let you start looking from New York before you even get to Austin! I am also a Master Instructor for Keller Williams Realty, Austins #1 Real Estate company, and teach Buyer Representation, Negotiations, etc. I help each client as if they were my only client and have an excellent track record. I think I would be a great asset and we might be a good fit.

Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss us possibly working together. I can help you find the right place in the right area, and make sure you get the best price, terms, and conditions. I have many references available as well… Thanks, Joe

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Call 512-261-4415

You'll be pleased with Austin I am certain!
Congrats on your move. Austin urban living is all about location, especially if you are working off of Congress (downtown, I assume). I would love the opportunity to work with you and interview on the phone or skype. I am Austin native and grew up in one of the most progressive areas of the city. I can point you in the right direction. Sellers will pay my commission so there's nothing to lose if you want to have a chat. You're going to love this city!

Let's talk!

Melissa Galvan
KW Realty
I moved here from San Diego several years ago and live two miles from downtown. You're going to love Austin! There are some great options available to you North and South. I have helped a dozen clients this year with new homes around your price point. I'd be happy to help you as well. Let's have a chat in the am to discuss your "wish list." Or you're welcome to email me.

Steve Robertson
Hi Jim,
In Central Texas you will find that the price points range depending upon area. School districts, year built and area amenities have a lot to do with this. Also - the closer you get to Central Austin, the higher the price point and some areas of West Austin are very high priced. An experienced agent can guide your way, set up searches for you that meet your needs and get the ball rolling for you.
Condo's are great but, you need to calculate in the HOA dues and most will be at least $300 a month.
Your price point of $250,000 will give you a lot of options - that's a great range to be in.
I'm happy to talk about areas with you and provide lists of homes or any additional information for you. I'm a native and have lived South, North, Central, East and even in some of the suburban areas so I can give you a feel of the region and what area fits what you like to do when not working.
Austin is a great place to live and your moving here when the weather is perfect!
Best Regards, Laura

Laura Rosales, REALTOR
Hi Jim,
It's great to hear that Austin is in your future! Here is a unique offering you might consider as an important part of your due diligence and research of the area. We want to extend an invitation for you to join us on a live virtual interactive tour of Austin. Using this method, I can give you a birds-eye view of the Austin area and use our advanced MLS software to get you up to speed on specific price ranges, top-ranked schools and districts, subdivisions, property tax rates, distances to important points of interest like shopping, grocery, employment and so much more. More importantly, we can help you avoid spending countless hours on the web trying to figure out Austin and eventually driving around wasting valuable time. Check out this video introduction we created:

Click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCBLemF4h1g

With so many of our clients moving to the Austin area and unfamiliar with its layout, geography, features, and real estate prices, this is the perfect way to help you identify exactly where you might want to be... BEFORE you get here.

Please let us know if this is something you're interested in doing and we'll get it on the calendar. It's LIVE, interactive and in real time. It typically can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how many questions you have and your curiosity of certain areas.

Have a great day and we look forward to hearing back from you!

Michael and Stacy Spickes
2013 Platinum Top 50 Finalists
Million Dollar Guild

Real Estate transactions are done a little differently here than in New York. We have Sellers agents who represent the seller & buyers agents that represent the buyers. In this way you get the proper representation as a buyer from your agent that has a fiduciary responsibility to you. The sellers pay all commissions so having your own agent does not add any cost to you in the purchase.

I would recommend having a phone interview wit a few agents and even possibly a face to face interview upon your arrival here in Austin. I would like a chance to talk with you and if you choose to work for you.

Best wishes.
Bill ~ Text -Email - Call - 512-709-6343 or bill@teamprice.com
Welcome to Austin. I would recommend S. Austin. I think it is close, affordable, and has some nice appreciation possibilities. I would be happy to assist you with your home purchase.

Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Steve Nusinow
Jim, for all intensive purposes are you to coming to Austin area soon?

Office: 512-330-9300
First off, congrats! You'll love it here.

I suggest finding a Realtor that specializes in the area that you are looking and work with them. I'd be more than happy to set up a call with you or discuss over email what your needs are. Once you narrow down budget, and location, then you just have to find something you love.

Shoot me an email, or call and we'll talk.

Also, check out my website to see some of the great houses available. If you like modern or MCM you'll dig it.

My wife and I are both realtors in the area. You can visit http:/www.austin-home-hunt.com to start searching or visit http://www.paigeandbryan.com to find out more about us. We'd love to help you!

Call me at 512-653-3348 if you'd like to chat. If I ask nicely, can you bring me some NYC takeout?
Simple .... I specialize in assisting buyers and sellers in Central Texas. My website containsALL listings from ALL Real Estate Agents, there's NO NEED to look anywhere else for your next home. Please feel free to explore the website and if you have any questions, would like to see a home in person or to discuss your home's value, dont hesitate to give me a call today.
Web Reference: http://www.Mister512.com