Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

NBharucha, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Moving from to ATL within a month - looking at East Cobb but work in Dunwoody (near Hammond Exchange/Marta exit) - reasonable commute?

Asked by NBharucha, Atlanta, GA Sun Sep 22, 2013

I am moving rather quickly to Atlanta sight unseen, $225K budget. Work is right off the Dunwoody train exit (Hammond Exchange). Wondering if East Cobb is realistic (Walton/Lassiter/Pope schools). I don't want more than 25-30 minute commute 1 way. I need great schools for my 10y/o. I'm a single mother so leaving very early or very late is not an option. Other ideas?

Answers

13
NBharucha,

I live in the Pope district and less than 2 miles from Lassiter HS and I currently work in Buckhead, formerly off Glenridge in Sandy Springs. I will say that my morning commute is never that bad usually 30 minutes or so to Buckhead and 20-25 to Sandy Springs/Dunwoody. Walton HS district will be even closer. The afternoon rush hour can be a bit longer depending on the day but rarely terrible. I will say that you will want to avoid the interstates as much as possible. If you're trying to take 400 to/from you will be looking at a significantly longer commute. Johnson's Ferry to Riverside to 285 or Johnson's Ferry to Roswell Rd to Hammond is much quicker during rush hours.

Chris Irvin
Mortgage Consultant
Brand Mortgage
NMLS 75615/465546
678-251-7889
cirvin@brandmortgage.com
http://www.chrisirvin.com
I just found 11 homes in that area under $225k. The average commute time is 31 minutes. Let me know If you want to see them. call me at 770-912-5148 or email me at jerry.jenkins124@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
There are currently over 40 properties available for sale in Walton, Lassiter and Pope school districts that match your criteria. Your daily commute to that part of Dunwoody would probably average ~ 30 min or so each way coming from East Cobb.. I would encourage visiting the property or having someone you can trust visit the property on your behalf before purchase if at all possible.. Good luck with your search!

Adrian Provost
mail@adrianprovost.com
678-957-SOLD (7653)
http://www.AdrianProvost.com
There are homes in your price point in each of the school districts noted, I have a corporate transferee that I work with last year looking for the same time of commute I will call him and ask about current realistic drive times If you want to further the conversation I have over 30 years experience and well qualified in Metro Atlanta in all price points Lorraine Carribean, Broker lorraine@carribeangroup.com
Check on the Dunwoody schools. If you live in Cobb, you will need to be able to cross a bridge into Fulton County. I live in Roswell not far from a bridge over the river and highway 400. The timing is traffic driven during rush hour, the flow can be slow. Rush hour can add 20 to 40 minutes to your drive. Where are you moving from?
Thanks for the answers so far, but can anyone comment on the average commute time from East Cobb into Dunwoody .. ?
Dear NBharucha, I responded once previously to your original question, Are you currently in Atlanta? If so you do know that traffic times are not "routine". I am and have been a single parent, I realize the anxiety of "getting to a school on time in the AM and at pick up times" In fact over the past couple years most of the aftercare programs all over Metro Atlanta have begun charging $1.00 a minute for each minute late after posted hours!! We are a great city with wonderful options and opportunities. We all can google, mapblast, or mapquest an address and get average drive times but no matter where you live and work in relationship to your job you will need to have some contingency plan or quickly put in place someone you can call on in a pinch, this is tough if you do not have any support system and raising a 10 yr old with a new job that may not be forgiving with little late or leaving early. I know this is not a positive response to your question but it is realistic.
Flag Mon Sep 23, 2013
In AM traffic, going down Johnson Ferry Rd to Abernathy I would count on about 30 minutes - the same coming home.
Flag Sun Sep 22, 2013
You can't beat East Cobb schools especially in that price range - I can help you quickly find the best properties available and assure you avoid problem homes as well.

Don't hesitate to contact me for more info.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
Yes. I would suggest Dunwoody. You won't get as much house for your money, but it would meet your other requirements and you wouldn't be holding your breath every day. Also, good schools. Let me know if I can help.

Marie Gibson
Chapman Hall Realty
Associate Broker
770-380-1883
Hello NBharucha,

Great choice of schools! As of this instance, 43 homes show available for sale in P/W/L HS, under $230K. Let's get together on the phone so I can learn more about all your "must have" and "good to have" features of your future home. My cell is 678-230-4235.

I am a relocation specialist, I have sold homes site unseen for some of my relo buyers though it is not ideal way to make a purchase. Typically, 3-5 days of home touring is enough providing we have done our "homework" together.

Look forward to connect with you.

Warmly,

Veronika Barash, Realtor®

Top Agent, Honorable Mention, KW

Outstanding Customer Service Recognition, KW

CERTIFIED SKILLED NEGOTIATOR

CERTIFIED RELOCATION SPECIALIST

MEMBER OF INSTITUTE FOR LUXURY HOME MARKETING

http://www.AtlantaSelectHomes.com

678.230.4235 c
678.287.4800 o

404.410.6983 f

Keller Williams Realty Consultants
I know time is valuable for you in finding the right home. I will be happy to setup where you can receive a list of homes daily that is for sale. This will allow you to view the properties at your leisure and once you see a home you are interested in I can check to make sure it's available. I will be more then happy to speak with you and help you find the right home based on your criterias. Give me a call if I can further assist you.

Gwen Harvey
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Classic
404 564-9500 Office
http://www.gwenharvey.com
I would be delighted to send you over some options. Please call, text me at your earliest convenience.
Ashton Ernst
Keller Williams Peachtree Rd
770-298-1013
AshtonErnst@kwrealty.com
Sorry Fred, I should clarify - As soon as my company's relo contacts me, I will be doing down there maybe for a week or so - but as I don't have much time, I really need to narrow down the list of places to visit and I don't want to get into something and then be stuck in a car all morning and night. I could push the budget to $250K if I really needed to but I would rather not be house poor.
I never recommend sight unseen. East Cobb is the most sought after, desirable area in Metro Atlanta and with high demand also comes high prices. For $225, 000 a little further north would get you into a wonderful home with fabulous schools.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss your options.

Fred Yancy, Broker
Crye-Leike Realtors
(678) 799-4663
http://fredyancy.crye-leike.com
fred.yancy@crye-leike.com