Skyediver, Home Buyer in

Moving from Phoenix to Highlands Ranch Area; any specifically recommended neighborhoods/areas?

Asked by Skyediver, Fri Feb 22, 2013

Details are my wife is a Physician that has received an offer with a practice, and we would need to be within 20-30 minutes of Sky Ridge Medical Center. We're a young family (mid-30s) with an infant. Wife is from Denver, it'll be all new to me. Wife likes "suburbia" (Orange County, CA for reference); I'd like a little more "action" (trendy spots, activities, etc) to be close, if not not necessarily living in it. Looking to buy, probably using a Physician's loan; in the $750K-$950K range.

Maggie Pugh’s answer

Sky Ridge Medical Center is an excellent facility. Since the hospital and medical practices opened, it is our facility of choice for emergency, general and specialty care.

I’ve lived in South Denver for over 12 years now, and have my Colorado Real Estate license for about 10 years. I currently reside in Highlands Ranch, 80130, but have also lived in the neighboring cities of Castle Pines North and Centennial, both of which have beautiful neighborhoods and homes in your price range and within minutes to Sky Ridge. I’ve helped various clients look for homes homes in all of the South Denver cities and am extremely familiar with the area.

Lone Tree and all of the neighboring cities, like Castle Pines North, Highlands Ranch, and Parker have top-notch schools, public, charter and private. All of these areas are centered on family, with in my opinion, Highlands Ranch being at the top of that list. Highlands Ranch is suburbia at its best and has some of the most spectacular mountain views on the Front Range. In your price range, as opposed to areas closer to Downtown, you’ll get more square footage, three-car minimum garage, likely mountain views (in Highlands Ranch, Castle Pines, or possibly Lone Tree) or golf-course location (mostly Castle Pines and Lone Tree).

Without talking to you about what you specifically are looking for in a neighborhood and home and what matters most, it is difficult to say which is best. Timing will likely also come into play. Also, is possible that school may dictate location?

If you have not already found an agent to work with, it would be my pleasure to talk with you and your wife to determine what specific neighborhoods may suit you best and the most important home features for you and your family.

Kind regards,

Maggie Pugh
Skyediver, So I would look in the Montecito neighborhood or in Heritage Hills. The Lone Tree area is nice and trendy especially with park Meadows mall being so close. I am also guessing you are a jumper. Do you jump in Eloy? I am active out here and jump in Longmont. Good luck with your home search and please reach out if you have any questions.
Sky Ridge is pretty far south. I think you might want to look at stuff around the Wash Park/Cherry Creek areas. They're trendy spots and reasonably close to downtown (~10-15 minutes). You can get from Wash Park to sky ridge on the freeway in ~25 minutes, but if your wife will have to make that commute during commute hours, then that could add time. Lots of nice spots there; Cherry Creek Grill and lots of other nice places to dine; lots of spots to get a drink, like Cheeky Monk, especially when they have dogfish 120-minute IPA in stock.

I'm fairly new to the area myself and just bought a place on the eastern side of Highlands Ranch. I have a friend who's a surgeon at Sky Ridge and lives just west of me. Apparently a lot of the doctors like that area Backcountry and then east of it toward sky ridge. That said, even though there's no freeway travel, backcountry to sky ridge itself is a 20 minute trip. I stayed to the east because the Rock Canyon high school is nationally ranked and one of the best schools in the Denver metro area, and my daughter is 11 so we're planning to settle in until she graduates. That said, other than a couple nice bakeries nothing could remotely be described as trendy. :) Highlands Ranch does have some very nice gyms that are included with the HOA. (Akin to a high-end chain gym like Lifetime; but not the vc-populated decathalon club variety.)

When we first moved, to get to know the area, we temporarily rented a "brownstone", which are snug little townhouses just north of the civic green/library area in Highlands Ranch. That's a nice little area; there are concerts and activities at the civic green (we walked across the street for a massive 10,000-egg easter egg hunt a couple weeks ago), the library is there, there's a farmer's market a block away. But that entire area is filled with condos/townhouses/apartments, it seems; the nicest things seem to be the brownstones we're in, which are still small-ish, and the unit adjoining walls aren't concrete. Nothing single-family in that area.

There's a little enclave in Lone Tree you may want to look at, just north of Lincoln between Park Meadows and Yosemite; although it may be in general a bit more than you want to pay. But that's close to the freeway, allowing you to get downtown faster or over to the mall, or up 25 to the cherry creek area; also reasonably close to rail which you can take downtown, and a short jaunt to Sky Ridge.

Have fun.
Hey Bill,

I'm very familiar with the Highlands Ranch and Lone Tree area. I'm also familir with Orange County. I'm from Newport Beach. The Highlands Ranch area will remind you very much of the Mission Viejo area. The Mission Viejo company designed Highlands Ranch. There are some great areas here. I live in Highlands Ranch next to the back country and have been here since 95. I have worked as a Firefighter/Paramedic in the area for 15 years and been a broker in the area for 10 years as. I know it like know one else does. Please give me a call anytime. I can give you the inside scoop on the area!

Paul DeSalvo
Firehouse Homes Real Estate
Hey Bill,
I don't think there is a direct way through Trulia but might have found a work around that will get it on craigslist and others. Give me a call 303-908-0805 I'll walk you through it.
Hi, we live in Weatherstone and are selling our home. I can't figure out how to list it here on Trulia, but you can find it on Zillow and send me a message if you are interested. Our timeline is June for a move. Our house is FSBO $839K. Great neighborhood. Great schools, etc. Weatherstone Forest Glen $839K. Right now I'd make an allowance for new paint and a general allowance totaling $10K at closing. Thanks. Bill
As mentioned previously. Falcon Hills, Backcountry, Weatherstone, HR Golf Course are all good neighborhoods where you will find homes in your desired price range. You can narrow this down a bit if a gated community, new construction vs. resale, proximity to schools and demographic are important to you as all 4 are a little different in those respects. I realize buying a home is a highly personal event. What matters to you may be different than what matters to anyone else, However, sometimes it helps to talk to others who have gone through a similar buying experience to share some insights. If you are interested, I have a client you can talk to who just went through that very process in these neighborhoods and price range before deciding to purchase in Backcountry. Contact me via email or phone to discuss.

John Spond, GRI
Cherry Creek Properties, LLC
Thank you all for the great feedback; it seems there's a number of viable communities to look at. We're planning to move in Sept, so we have some time to work through options. We very well may be contacting a number of you to briefly talk, so thanks again!
If you haven't already found a place, please consider checking out my listing -- very California contemporary in Highlands Ranch, backs to open space, cul-de-sac location, great schools and neighborhood - 20 minutes to Sky Ridge.
Flag Thu Aug 8, 2013
Thanks for posting your question to Trulia.

I am a Phoenix native and have lived in Colorado for 16 years. I noticed your post "skydiver" and thought you might be interested in this link - This is an indoor skydiving place in Lone Tree. In addition to Lone Tree / Highlands Ranch you could still be within 20-30 minutes of Skyridge and expand your options to Greenwood Village (a little closer to Denver) or Castle Pines Village (gated golf comity). I can certainly help you with the options and actually have numerous friends and clients that are Physicians out of Sky Ridge.

Please feel free to go to my website @ where you can search for homes, save properties you find interesting and set up auto alerts.

Rebecca Hite
Broker Associate - Realtor
Huntington Properties, LLC
6025 S Quebec Street, Suite 240
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
303-929-3555 Mobile

Five Star Real Estate Agent - 5280 Magazine!

Your Referrals Are Always Welcome!
One of the members of my team lives in Highlands Ranch and is very knowledgeable about the area. Lone Tree might be another option for you as it's closer to Skyridge Med. Center and a little more "trendy". It's also closer to Light Rail if you want to partake of cultural or sporting events downtown. Either area is in the excellent Douglas County School District.

We have three excellent lenders we partner with that I can refer you to for prequal questions.

You can go to my website at to search for homes in any area of metro Denver. You can also save your searches and favorite properties and receive email alerts when new homes come on the market that match your criteria.

Let me know how I can help!

Warm Regards,

Marianne Bandy, CRS
The Bandy Team
RE/MAX Professionals - Denver CO
"From Our Heart to Your Home"

303-746-7799 cell
Web Reference:
Welcome to Colorado! I live in the Highlands Ranch Golf Club and have been in the HR area for a number of years. My husband and I are in our 30s with a 4- and 1-year-old so I can relate. My partner and I have 30 plus years of experience combined and would love to help you out. Were relaxed and low pressure and we know how to listen to what you want.
Holly and Valerie
Herman Group Real Estate
Colorado Brokers
I'm very familiar with Physician Loans and in your price range would be able to see EVERYTHING on the market in a couple of days. I'd love to help you out and would be happy to put you in touch with a few local Doctors I've helped in the past year.

Web Reference: Http://
My family has lived in Highlands Ranch for the past 14 years. We love everything thing about it. It is a wonderful community with great schools and close to entertainment. Highlands Ranch is only about 20 minutes from Sky Ridge. Highlands Ranch amenities include 4 rec centers that are available year-round with swimming pools (indoor and out), racquetball, tennis, fitness, etc. The website for info on the community is: Lots of great information on there! The Highlands Ranch HOA dues are also very reasonable at $127/quarter. Some neighborhood have additional HOA dues. Please let me know if I can provide you any additional information! is another great resource for the community.

Hilarie Splichal, Real Estate Broker Associate/New Agent Mentor
Your Castle Real Estate
You're in luck, as there are a myriad of options in this part of town. As far as Highlands Ranch goes Backcountry, Weatherstone, and the Golf Club are all fantastic choices based on your criteria. Lone Tree with Heritage Hill and Castle Pines North with neighborhoods such as Daniel's Gate may also be a great fit. All of these locations are within minutes of Sky Ridge. This only scratches the surface as to what is available but at least helps you get started. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. Thanks!

Jason Reynolds
BRC Real Estate
Highlands Ranch
Highlands Ranch is a great place to live and anywhere in the area would be within 30 minutes at most to Skyridge Hospital. Lone Tree, Heritage Hills and Carriage Club are very close to Skyridge Hospital and the homes range from the low $400's up to over $1 million. These areas have quick access to Interstate 25, 30 minutes to downtown and a major retail shopping area called Park Meadows Mall is just minutes away. You can also get to Denver International Airport (DIA) in about 40 minutes.
Bring your skiis, bike, kayak, fishing rod, running shoes and camping gear...we enjoy our outdoors!!!!

My wife and I are currently raising there children in Highlands Ranch. We can't say enough good things about the area and schools. Highlands Ranch/Loan Tree really offer some great amenities and will be the perfect location for a very short commute to Sky Ridge Medical Center. I really believe you will find the sports and activities you are looking for, within a great community setting. I can also recommend a great local lender that has a wonderful program specifically for Physicians. Feel free to contact Chris Miller at Colorado State Bank and Trust with any questions regarding the program. Chris can be reached directly at 303-588-0521. I will also be happy to answer any additonal questions for you and can even get started with your new home search. I can also be reached on my mobile phone at anytime. 720-218-6153. Let me know how I may be of further assitance.

All the Best,
Matt Motzkus