Liloa808, Home Buyer in Ashburn, VA

Moving from HI to VA, dad to work in DC, 2 young active boys, mom will stay home for now. Hay vs ashburn? Overwhelmed! House hunt trip in nov.

Asked by Liloa808, Ashburn, VA Sun Oct 20, 2013

Answers

18
Bree Lawrence’s answer
I know you have gotten a lot of response to your questions, however I currently reside in Ashburn, I work in Ashburn and I raise my son in Ashburn. I am a military wife as well and know about relocations and the stress it causes. I have helped past clients with their relo's and they all commented how "they couldnt have done it w/o me". I would love to help you out, as I am sure most agents will comment.

I know the area as I have lived here for over 30yrs. If you want to contact me we can talk, and if I can answer any questions for you or give you information, or even point you in the right direction. You do not have to use me as an agent if you dont want to, however as I said I know the stress of relo's and if you just need help with information I would be glad to help.

Bree
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 2, 2013
Hi Liloa808,

It's easy to feel overwhelmed especially if you don't know the area well or haven't been back in the area in a while. If you're asking which of the two areas are better, there is a lot of information on both Haymarket and Ashburn which you will need to review before you make the best decision for you and your family.

As far as tornados, forests, price per sq ft versus not being "peaceful and quiet all the time", etc., we can talk about that in detail over the phone or via email.

As for house hunting in November, I would be happy to give you a tour of the area as well as show you homes that would work best for your specific needs. I work with buyers and renters relocating to the area all the time and understand the specific needs and many questions those relocating to the area have. Do you have dates for being in NoVA set up already?

Give me a call or send me an email so we can talk in detail. I'm a native of Northern VA, Realtor for the past 10 years and can provide you with plenty of information on those two areas or any other area in Northern VA. My cell is 703.582.6900 and my email is danilo.bogdanovic@gmail.com

Danilo Bogdanovic
REALTOR(r)
United Real Estate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 21, 2013
I understand that you are overwhelmed, however a good Realtor will calm all of your anxieties. I am a licensed referral real estate agent- meaning I refer realtors that are knowledgeable and dependable. There is no cost to you! Contact me and I will have my Realtor contact you to sort out all of your needs.

Dee Martinez
Real Estate Referral Agent
Licensed in VA
571.926.5383
denielemartinez@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 21, 2013
Yes, Metro is coming to Ashburn and now it is almost complete line to Reston which is very close to Ashburn. A transaction can be completed in 8 days if you have every thing done with the lender or you are paying cash; realistically, if you are applying for a loan, it takes from 30 to 45 days. Loan approval is the driver for the time to close.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 21, 2013
Hi Liloa,

I can understand you being overwhelmed for a long-distance move. My husband and I moved from Salt Lake City, Utah, to Ashburn, Virginia, 17 years ago. We made the move to be closer to my husbands family job opportunity for him and the excellent nationally ranked schools, in Ashburn. I now have a daughter that has graduated from William and Mary College working on her masters degree. A son at Virginia Tech with a full ride scholarship in the engineering department. Second son still attending Briarwoods high school and benefiting as the other children had from an excellent educational experience, to include extracurricular activities, such as music and the rowing team.

I was a nonworking mother for 12 years, if you call raising children nonworking! ;) our family has benefited greatly from the environment in Ashburn.

My husband has worked in sales for Microsoft and has quick easy access to the airport. We have available a Greenway toll road available. Otherwise the airport is approximately 15-20 minutes by Greenway, approximately 10 minutes. There are park-and-ride locations, to take the bus to DC, that my good friend has used for commuting and enjoyed the ability to relax on the way. Without traffic, the drive to DC is just about 40 minutes. Timing a commute earlier, or later than the specific rush time, can be helpful.

The local communities here in Ashburn have amenities such as swimming pools, tennis court top lots walking and biking trails etc. there are also planned activities for families and children and here in my community a Nature Center, to visit with young children.

Feel free to call me with any questions you might have and let me know what things are most important to you, as well as what you're looking for in a home.

I began my real estate career selling new homes and have purchased two new homes in Ashburn, I experienced the process personally. My ability to help families purchase homes, here in Ashburn and the surrounding Northern Virginia and Western Loudoun County areas, has been rewarding, as well as interesting. I enjoy the challenge of finding just the right home, for my clients and I take the time, patiently, to commit to each client.

I am available and happy to assist feel free to contact me at anytime.

Annette Schafer
Real Estate Agent
United Real Estate
annette@annetteschafer.com
703-999-5002
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
Hey Liloa,

After reading some of your comments about your family and what they would like, I would recommend Ashburn. It's a growing area that has many activities you and your family can take part in, but the neighborhoods are calm and peaceful. Schools in the area are great so you don't have to worry about that. Typically, the homes in your price range are fairly large and you will find that homes in Ashburn tend to be very nice inside (due to the fact that a lot of them are relatively new). Staying in one of the developed communities gives you the opportunity to find a home that does not share a forest in it's back yard, so your son can play in the yard without fear. Hope this helps!

Aloha,
Chaudry
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
I vote for Ashburn. You will have commuting issues in either place but the Reston Metro will open soon, as will construction of the Metro to Dulles Airport and Ashburn. I suggest you look at homes in your price range in both areas during your house hunting trip and decide then. Call me at 202-577-6235 if I can help!
Web Reference: Http://www.cbmove,com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
From a commuting standpoint, Ashburn would be your best bet. The metro line to DC has been completed in Reston, VA and that would most certainly help out with exhausting commute. Haymarket is a good choice for those who would like more purchasing power and do not mind the long commute to DC. Welcome to Northern Virginia! I hope that you found the house of your dreams.

Matt Shultz, REALTORĀ®
50 Catoctin Circle NE #101
Leesburg, VA 20176

Mobile: 703-300-0367
Web: http://www.MattShultzHomes.com

Licensed in Virginia
I just wanted to make sure you had success in finding your new home. I hope you found what you need!

Beth Seifart
Keller Williams Realty - Leesburg
This is Mark Sun. I am Local Realtor at Ashburn area. Right now I offer new construction 2% rebate @ Closing.
I offer full listing @ 3.5%. I offer resale home up-to 1.5%.
Please contact to me @ 202-361-9756 or mark.sun@realtydirect.com
Hi Again Liloa-
I was checking back to see if you had everything you need and find out if you found your home? Have a Fantastic Day!
Thank you we have.
Flag Sat Feb 15, 2014
Aloha! How is your house hunting going? My husband and I would love to tell all the wonderful things about living in Loudoun County (west of Dulles Airport). http://www.kathyhessler.com
Visit Loudoun's website at http://www.visitloudoun.org
Please call me 703-615-1493
We are here to help you NOT feel overwhelmed ;)
Checking in on you..... Were you able to find something that you liked?

Robert L. Hanson
Gladewater National Bank
First Time Homebuyer Specialist

Direct: 240-752-7549
Email: rhanson@gladewaternational.com
NMLS# 695929

Rate quote or live chat with me at the link below:

http://www.loansfromrob.com/quote/

I'm not an agent and have lived in Northern Virginia for the past 12 years. I live in Prince William county and my husband commutes to Alexandria everyday. His commute is about 60-90 minutes each day.

I don't think you would go wrong with either Haymarket or Ashburn. You need to look at how much of a commute your husband wants to deal with. We moved to PW because we wanted more land for our money.

I hope you find/found what you were looking for and take in every last second of that West Coast Sun that you can. It will never be the same here (Native CA, wishing I was home).

Lisa
Hey there Liloa808! You will love this area:) With regards to Haymarket vs Ashburn, I am a big fan of Ashburn:) Schools are great, the commute tends to be a better better depending on your location, the market is thriving and has great resale appeal.

Are your boy in extra circular activities? I am assuming so. Depending on what the are involved in both area have a ton of options.

http://www.loudounsoccer.com/default.aspx

http://www.dulleslittleleague.org/

http://www.ayfl.org/

I would love to help if you need any other references. Of course if you are not currently working with an agent I would love to help!

Sue Rasoul
Sue@FineHomesBySue.com
571-293-1336
Hi Liloa,
I am a Licensed Real Estate Agent with Exit Realty Talbot and Company. I was in the exact same situation last year as we moved from CA to VA and my husband had to go to DC for work. It was really overwhelming as I was doing the research on the areas and ended up buying a house in Ashburn. I am really pleased with our decision on Ashburn. It's very family oriented and has great schools. The only thing when I was doing the research everybody was talking about the horrible commute to DC and no one had a good answer to the problem. Finally we found out about the public transportation and it worked out great for my husband. He took the Loudoun county bus to DC and didn't have any problems or deal with any traffic at all. The Metro will be coming out here as well! If you have any questions or need assistance with anything you can contact me (805)501-1106 or email me at adila.k@outlook.com. I totally understand what you are going through right now as I was in exact same situation last year.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 20, 2013
No problem! Yeah that sounds about right for the metro but it's coming to Reston sooner which is about 8 miles away from Ashburn. Typically it takes about 30-45 days to close. What is your relocation date? Give me a call when you get a chance and we can discuss it further 805-501-1106.
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
Thank you for the info. We found out metro should be in ashburn by 2015(?). Our timeline is shorter than we would like as this is an unexpected turn of events. How long does a typical transaction take? In Hawaii, if all goes well, nowadays is 60 days.
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
Hi and welcome! I actually raised my children in Ashburn and based it on the schools. Please go to http://www.greatschools.org to get a better feel for what your children may experience. My husband also worked in DC and he had no issues especially coming home to Ashburn. I have been a Realtor in Northern VA for 10 years and would like to help you in your search and relieve some of your stress. Whatever you choose to do will be what is meant to be so know that you are coming to a beautiful state as well with good people that can assist you an your family.

PJ Riner, Residential Realtor, Weichert
703-606-1878
pjriner@gmail.com
pjriner.com
A purchase transaction can take 30 days or less depending on your loan or the home you have selected. What is your timeline?
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
Yes and he is the best guy and Father! We adore him. His name is Omni :)
Flag Sun Oct 20, 2013
Your broker was born and raised in Hawaii?
Flag Sun Oct 20, 2013
PS: My Broker is from Hawaii :)
Flag Sun Oct 20, 2013
Hello Liloa,
Welcome to Virginia.
NVRE is a local real estate company with great experience in helping wide spectrum of buyers; 1st time home buyers, Investors, and relocation both national and international. We have the knowledge, the technology, the patience, and we work hard to find for our clients the property that fits their needs.
I understand that you are relocating to Northern Virginia and you are considering Ashburn or Haymarket. Our office is in Potomac Falls/Sterling which is 10 minutes to Dulles International Airport. We have excellent knowledge of both markets and the surrounding areas. Both communities are on a fast track of growth and expansion due to several major economical and financial projects coming to the area, especially to Ashburn. Whatever your real estate needs, we can address them.
Please give us a call or email to discuss your real estate needs. Our consultation is offered to you at no cost and no obligation; you have nothing to lose, but lots of information to gain, and hopefully we can find your dream home in Northern Virginia.

Email: alkurd@nvre.net
Phone: (703)628-9343
website: http://www.nvreRealty.com
I need to disclose I am a licensed and active agent in state of Hawaii, but also a full time teacher. We are looking at possible scheduling a house hunting in November, depending on relocation time table. Prior to that I need to determine what I are the main differences, or attractive qualities of the neighborhoods. We have 2 under 5 year old boys who need space, a mother who is afraid of tornados and a son who does not like forests...father has friends in haymarket and likes the space and sq ft of homes available, but mother doesn't really care for quiet peaceful all the time.We would like to stay under $550, need 2 car garage, and would need a really good school district.
Flag Sun Oct 20, 2013