Home Buying in Mountain View>Question Details

kjro, Renter in Pittsburgh, PA

Moving across the country for a job in Mountain View - where do I look to live?

Asked by kjro, Pittsburgh, PA Thu Feb 14, 2013

I'm moving from Pittsburgh, PA to the south SF bay area for a new gig in MV. I'm trying to do research remotely before I get out there next month, though I will have about 60 days of leeway to find a permanent residence once I arrive. Given that I will have my partner with me, have no children, would like to keep my rent within $2200 monthly, and would like to be within 10-15 miles of Google HQ, are all these constraints possible to meet in a nice neighborhood?

Space is not really a major concern. A 1br apartment is going to be fine. Noise and privacy are greater concerns. I've read lots of complaints about poorly constructed apartments with paper-thin walls. That's a big deal-breaker.

Neighborhoods I'm considering so far - Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, San Jose west. Any advice would be greatly appreciated: specific properties, other neighborhoods I might consider, etc.

Thank you so much for any information you can provide!

Answers

6
Ruth & Perry Mistry’s answer
Hi Kjro

The areas you have listed are great areas.

You should also consider, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Los Altos to name a few.

Craigslist is a great place to start, also check out the local Apartment Magazine
in Grocery Stores such as Safeway etc.

Perry
Hi Kjro, welcome to Mountain View. I am a proud resident myself for 19+ years and growing. Rents are really up in the past two years. For your budget, you should be able to get a very nice 1/1. For 2/2, it's running up to $2,700. but really depends on what environment, amenities and locations the complex can offer. If you like the conveniences, apartments close to downtown Castro St, are pretty desirable and offers all kinds of perks. You will be surrounded with restaurants, shops, parks, library, City Hall, Performing Center and CAL train station too. Downtown restaurants, Cafes and bars are actually major network environment for Tech companies. Welcome and good luck!
I offer guidance and consulting in home purchases. At your service when you are ready! 650-207-1421.
Santa Clara county has a very good network of bike trails and biking to Google will be very do-able on most days.
Kjro,

I suggest you take a look at Craig's list to see on rentals. I think your price point is going to determine where you live. If you have questions specific to a property or neighborhood I'd be happy to answer realizing that there are certain questions that realtors can not answer due to fair housing laws.

David Blockhus
DRE# 01169028
Coldwell Banker - Los Altos
http://www.LosAltosHomes.com
650 917-4250
Hello Kijro,
Hopefully this works out for you and you are able to consider buying out here. If and when that happens be sure to check out the great 1st time homebuyer programs avalable from the Santa Clara Housing Trust. This allows for a 3% downpayment and subsidized mortgages. When you add in the Federal Government Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) you can buy for little more than it costs to rent in this area.
Welcome to the Bay Area!

You should be able to find what are looking for in the areas you are searching. Your willingness to get a 1 BR opens up quite few possibilities in your price range.

There are lots of smaller , older complexes out there. These typically are in quieter locations and are more private than some of the newer mega-complexes. Sometimes there are even small cottages available. These typically have lots of charm but may be less updated than an apartment.

While there is no substitute for seeing a property in person, start taking a look at the Craigslist
rental ads. This will help you get a feel for the market prior to your arrival.

And one last thing - the traffic around Google HQ at highway 101 can be horrendous. You may want to get the Google bus routes and see if you can find something located where you can take a Google bus to work.