Home Buying in Boulder>Question Details

Shapiropaull…, Home Buyer in Tallahassee, FL

Moving 2014 Summer to Boulder CO

Asked by Shapiropaullawyer, Tallahassee, FL Thu Aug 22, 2013

When is best time to buy and what areas are best if I have 3 kids in 3 schools. I am looking at moving July 2014 with family (1 high school 1middle and 1 elementary) and probably need 2 to 4 mos to do updates to key areas like baths and kitchens. Thoughts appreciated as to best areas and when to buy. We love lower Chataqua but also like Newlands near 4th St trail access and Devils Thumb areas.

Answers

17
Devil's Thumb and the entire Table Mesa neighborhood are perfect for ease of walking or biking to elementary, middle school and high school. Also, there is great access to hiking trails, grocery shopping, a library, rec center, and family friendly restaurants. For all these reasons, there's a bidding war on almost every home that is listed in the neighborhood and you need an experienced buyer's agent to help your offer stand out from the rest.

I live near Chautauqua and our kids used to walk to Flatirons Elementary and take the school bus to Manhattan Middle School. Our daughters would have been able to walk to Boulder High School, but they decided to attend Fairview (in Table Mesa), which is about a 7-minute drive. We love our neighborhood, but all bike rides end with a steep uphill here, which can be hard on the younger kiddos.

If you're taking a familiarization trip to Boulder in advance of your move, I would suggest that you meet with several Realtors to see who you like best. Our office has cruiser bikes that you can use free of charge to bike around Downtown's amazing network of biking / walking paths. Please feel free to contact me at monique@moniquecole.com
Buy this home on 0.89 acre (realtor listing is erroneous)--near Fairview H.S. in So. Boulder--it has a separate back 1x1 great for use as an office or rental. Huge attic storage and fixer potential on the front house 3 bd x 1.5 ba...great neighbors on nice estates, views of the Flatirons are great--and S. Mesa trail, Dowdy Trailheads are walking distance--quiet, active community! Buy it now-it's priced right for the sq ft footprint! Good solar potential. This is an estate sale--need it to sell now! Boulder home prices hold steady w/ gradual increase...even thru the 2008-2011 crisis.
One item to contemplate, your mortgage. Interest rates are trending up. If you are financing your purchase, closing sooner is in your best interests. Here is a blog on Boulder Relocation: http://www.boulderrealestatenews.com/boulder-relocation/
Hi Shapiropaullawyer:

You've chosen some nice areas! The one thing that stands out is that they are all close to the foothills, making them near some of the nicest trails, open spaces and parks. I also would consider Dakota Ridge/Northbriar (if you like newer homes on small, easy to care for lots) or the Wonderland Lake area (with some very nice and well-kept custom homes a little newer than the original homes in Newlands), or Rose Hill (if you like homes that might be a little older –– roughly 1900 to 1955). Every neighborhood in Boulder has its own flavor. The link below will take you to a page with many links related to life in Boulder. I'm guessing you will enjoy exploring.

I am a little behind in keeping this facebook page up-to-date, but you might find more about daily life here: https://www.facebook.com/movetoboulder?v=wall
There also is a fun home search feature near the top of the page. This is a little different from other home searches, but very intuitive once you get the idea.

The new Boulder Trails and Recreation page is here: https://bouldercolorado.gov/trails-and-recreation

Let me know if you have questions –– job searching, info about county open space and trails, health care, family fun, etc.

Warm regards,
Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
info@rovtar.com
http://www.rovtar.com
Congratulations, Shapiropaullawyer!

Excellent eye you have. Those are indeed great neighborhoods. You'll find that the Boulder Valley School are excellent.

Your high school student might find this interesting:
http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=350077

Have a great year!

Suz
I agree with many of the responses in that you have picked popular areas and early spring would be best. The market becomes competitive starting in match and April, so there is less competition in buyers before March, which is a good time to look as homes are on the market slightly longer. What time frame would work for you and your family in coming to boulder to start the search?

Shelley Janes
Spaces Real Estate
720.470.3491
With the kids out of school in July, that's a great time to move. Check out http://www.bvsd.org for info about local school curriculums and neighborhoods. Early spring is a good time to start your home search in Boulder. Family needs comes first in my book and relocating can be stressful- so if I can help you please let me know.

Sincerely- Kathryn Brantmeyer
realestate@brantmeyer.com
http://www.brantmeyer.com
720-530-0055
How Exciting and Welcome to Boulder!

You have selected some of the most popular areas in town, particularly if you want to be near the Foothill trails, dining and shopping. Luckily, we do have an abundance of great schools here. I have a child attending Fairview now and we went through BVSD Open enrollment since we live in North Boulder. I would be happy to talk to you about that process and the schools in general. Some schools are better suited to a certain child's interests and learning style than others.

Usually the best selection of homes on the market is in the Spring and that could mean as early as late February. Each of those areas you mention has their own character and housing styles, so spending some time getting to know them to decide which one feels more like "home" to you would be ideal. Hopefully, you can schedule a visit soon and have one of us show you around town and even point out some hidden gem areas you may not have thought about yet.

Best of luck to you and your family!

Liz Benson
Colorado Landmark Realtors
303-589-8957
boulderliz@gmail.com
http://www.boulderliz.com
The spring months are the busiest real estate time of year in town, and really, you already have some great areas picked for your home search.

The months of March, April & May, for instance are busy with many buyers (and sellers for that matter) in a situation similar to yours, wanting to get in, get settled, and ready by the time school starts. A corollary on the seller's end is such that there also tends to be more inventory of homes to choose from in the spring.

There are great schools for all your children in those areas you mentioned, and the neighborhoods are popular with families with all aged school children. Maybe you are already familiar with the schools in those neighborhoods. if you are not, I recommend visiting bvsd.org or greatschools.org.

I have worked with buyers and sellers in Chataqua, Newlands, and Devil's Thumb/Table Mesa areas. I have also lived in two of those neighborhoods myself over my years here in Boulder, and so I know them well. I would be glad to help you further with your questions and move to Boulder.

Nola Chow
http://www.nolachow.com
303-859-9421

Real Estate sales are very strong in the summer and most buyers with children like to settle in and have their children enrolled in schools by early August. This year turned the real estate market from a buyer's market to a seller's market. It was difficult for buyer's to make an offer on a property fast enough and many properties brought in multiple bids. Hard to say what next year will bring but I would guess we will experience more of the same.

Boulder schools are very good and the areas you mentioned are very popular and great choices. Are you considering visiting prior to July to look at properties? I would suggest keeping an eye on the market in the areas of your choice to prepare ahead of time.

If you provide your e-mail address, I would be happy to send you some additional information on schools and the areas you are most interested in.

Christine Damiano
GreenSpot Real Estate
303-919-9234
christinedam52@yahoo.com
There has been a lot of good answers here for you. One part I concur with most would be seeing the different areas for yourself. There are different vibes to each area and different vintages of homes as well. You'll certainly find lots of people who love each area but I'd say the lower Chautauqua where I live probably has fewer kids than South Boulder or Newlands. If you'd like to email me I can send you links to the local school report cards which are helpful and I'd be happy to show you around when you get the opportunity to visit in person.

Art Schwadron
RE/MAX of Boulder
Arts@BoulderCo.com
720-446-9865
March and April tend to be a nice time to start your search in earnest and will allow proper timing to have the kids in place for school. March and April have also been historically good times to start looking form an inventory basis.

It is great that you are coming with an open mind an willingness to update your home. Boulder has some great areas and all of the ones you have mentioned will really allow you to take advantage of the "Boulder Lifestyle." Boulder Inventory can be a little quirky so having the vision and expertise to be able to identify what a home can be is a true art and it appears you may have that skill.

If you want information on areas, events, schools, etc feel free to check out our Blog. It is a great one stop resource for everything Boulder from schools, to hiking trails, and the Farmers Market. http://www.boulderhomesource.com/blog/

Best wishes and Welcome to Boulder

Greg
I don't see any one area as being "the best" for what you've said so far. No area is perfect, and any of these areas will offer something special. It would be good to have a conversation with you about more of your lifestyle to attempt a narrowing down of the criteria for a best match.
As a parent with kids all in different schools, I would recommend that you research what schools work best for your kids and then choose an area. You can open enroll your kids for any school you choose, but some are very difficult to get into, so there are no guarantees. For that reason, I always recommend that my buyers look in areas that have neighborhood schools that meet the needs of their families. All the schools in Boulder are great, but there are definitely certain schools that are in higher demand. With regards to the best time to purchase a home in Boulder, I would say that any time is a great time! There are typically more homes on the market in the Spring/Summer and then they taper down in the Fall/Winter. There are more buyers during the Spring/Summer and you can find yourself in bid wars, whereas in the Fall/Winter there is less competition and sellers are often more willing to work with buyers. I would love to help you and your family figure out what schools and neighborhoods are the best fit. If you would like additional information please don't hesitate to call/email. Julia@8z.com or 720-203-7789. Good luck with your search.
Exciting....and "welcome" in advance! :)

It might depend on what you are looking for in terms of the schools, but I don't think you can hardly go wrong with any of them.

I think North and South Boulder do have a little bit different vibes...so maybe you can check that out next time you are here.

Of course, there is a wide range of price points to navigate in this town too...so knowing your budget will be important (and will presumably really influence your options.)

I'd recommend considering some areas on the other side of Broadway from Newlands....call it "Old North Boulder". The dollar goes a little farther, there tend to be some bigger lots, and you are even closer to Ideal Market, the North Boulder Rec Center, and more of Pearl Street. I think being north of Balsam puts you close enough to downtown...without all the congestion. I'm biased because I live in that area, but it's more than "up and coming." :)
School wise you simply can't go wrong in Boulder, however, most consider the schools in South Boulder to be better (My kids went to these schools) Fairview is nationally recognized as among the best public high schools in the nation. Southern Hills is great and people fight over the two elementary schools. There is also a hard as nuts charter school, but Summit is by lottery only.

Devils Thumb might be your best choice down there.

If you live in Chautauqua then you have a choice of High Schools as your home school. Manhattan and Creekside are the schools for Chautauqua.

Best time to buy is whatever is best for you. The ratio of homes on the market to home buyers is about the same across the seasons. Sounds like you will be aiming for March/April in order to get the work done and to be all moved in by mid summer--always start early because the contractors get busy too!

Also, there are far more kids in Devils Thumb and in South Boulder in general. The economics of Newlands and Chautauqua simply dictate that average families are pushed out by the higher cost.

My daughter, for the record, is a senior at Fairview. My son is at CU and he graduated from Fairview in '12. I am somewhat biased. The both went to Southern Hills as well, but they went to Uni Hill because I used to live on the hill. The program that they attended doesn't exist there any more.

Oh, logistically South Boulder is the no brainer. The schools are an easy walk or bike ride and Fairview and Southern Hills are side by side so you will be driving to the same place or the kids can escort each other to school if you are within a walk.

Justin
Side Street Homes.
303-818-0338
So glad you have made the decision to move to Boulder. My office is located in Boulder and I have lived in East Boulder and North Boulder. Each side of town has it's own special qualities.
As for timing to buy, the Spring and Summer are the busy seasons. There are still good listings in the Fall and Winter too, but Sellers tend to be afraid their homes don't show as well in the winter, so they tend to wait until the Spring to list.
Please call or email me. I would love to work with you.

All My Best,

Amber Fahrenholtz
Broker- Bodin Realty International
(720) 988-6490
Amber@bodinrealty.com