Home Buying in Potrero Hill>Question Details

Alejandro Fo…, Both Buyer and Seller in San Francisco, CA

Mission Dolores vs. Potrero Hill

Asked by Alejandro Foung, San Francisco, CA Thu Jan 10, 2008

I'm looking to purchase in either of these two neighborhoods, from an investment standpoint. Which of these represents a better investment over the next 5-7 years? Walking around Potrero there seems to be a lot of two-single unit homes improving, while in Mission Dolores Condos are getting re-done and there is a lot of commercial activity. Which one would you put your money on?

Answers

4
Well, if someone is going to give me the thumbs down on my opinion, I'd appreciate their perspective on these two neighborhoods and their futures. Thanks!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2008
Mission Dolores and Potrero Hill will probably perform in equity pretty well. The properties available in Mission Dolores are generally older, unless you're looking at the right time a recently constructed property has started to resale. Potrero Hill has some really great properties on the east side facing the water and looking at the I-280. Also, if you get down to the Waterfront, along the 3rd Street Corridor, there are a lot of newer small buildings going up and that seems to be a promising area since you have Cal Train stations, Muni and bus access to downtown and even Mission Bay.

Mission Bay, however, being shiny and new is probably the most promising over the next 5-7 years since all that is now new, and therefore, probably at their lowest value now. I've included a link to schematic of what's going on in MIssion Bay for you to check out.
Sorry, I blipped that you said 5-7 years. I'm not sure how to predict things that closely ... for example; It took about 15 years to redevelop Yerba Buena, and it's been about 10 years for South Beach (they just started a merchants association last year, and a friend of mine with a gallery there just started opening for weekends last year because he noted that neighbors were beginning to walk around the 'hood) to reach a tipping point.

Mission Bay has a ways to go ... they still need to finish building all the buildings! Just a few thoughts to consider. I'd also recommend walking around at different times of day and in the evening (although not on the block that OJ grew up on!).
I like both neighborhoods, they each have their own personality. But I think that Mission Dolores -- with the park and tennis nearby and it has traditionally had better public transportation -- will be desirable but will not change much from it's present built environment.

Potrero has good access to 280 -- Mission Dolores is not far, and is a straight shot to the 280 entrance. There is a Whole Foods now on Potrero (bigger than the wonderful BiRite) and many more newly finished condos near the gift center so there should be lots of changes; and the new Mission Bay area will be transformed in the next few years, being right next to Potrero Hill that will have an impact on the area.

So I think it depends on how long you are thinking of keeping a property. Feel free to email me with any questions. Happy hunting! I love these two communities as well.