Home Buying in Raleigh>Question Details

gdlowy, Renter in Raleigh, NC

Middle-aged couple with no kids considering move to Raleigh area from NYC.

Asked by gdlowy, Raleigh, NC Sat Nov 30, 2013

We would prefer a townhouse or apt. condo with top-of-the line amenities in one of the nicer areas close to shops and restaurants. With home-based business, commuting is not an issue. For travel, we'd like to be within 30 minutes of airport. Thanks for your suggestions.

Answers

21
I would love to help you! Give me a call 919-538-6477 or angie@acolerealty.com
There are many townhome communities to choose from in close proximity to the airport. Please contact me directly and we can discuss your options. I think you will love the area and I look forward to working with you. Vicki Kennedy 919-201-4117 or vicki.kennedy@hpwnc.com.
We collect no upfront fees for credit or appraisal. We can get you approved subject to the property address for your new Purchase.

Contact me to save money on your closing costs!

Purchase Power - Mortgage Package
Put more of your money into your house and less into your closing.

Save on fees. For example:
No Underwriting Fee
No Appraisal Fee
No Document Prep Fee
No Credit Report Fee
No Fee for Lender Title Policy
No Recording Fee
No Settlement or Closing Fee
No Flood Certification Fee

And More
Competitive Rates
Close On Time Pledge
http://www.gtoriginations.com/scott.cox

cell: 919-219-2252
I would move to the 5 points area below the beltline. They are building some great townhouses there now, and they have also built some in a place called Fallon Park.
That is great you have decided on our location of Raleigh!! I see you need/like to be within 30 minutes from RDU airport. And you would like a townhome or apt. with top of the line amenities.
Are you wanting to buy upon arrival? Or rent? When you answer those questions...whichever way you answer...will give me some more questions. I would love a chance to help another couple move down here! I just had a home go under contract for a lady moving here from the Jersey Shore.

Melanie Osborne
with Ida Terbet Group
Coldwell Banker Howard Perry and Walston
Melanie@melanieosborne.com
melanieosborne.com
919-218-3586
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 13, 2013
Chris, Good questions. Downtown may suit us more. Mordecai and Overton areas have been recommended. For amenities, I would say interior features are the first priority. In-unit washer/dryer, dishwasher, nice size (perhaps eat-in) kitchen, at least 2 full baths. One-car parking is a must. Externally, safe area for day/night walking comes first. Nice pool and/or gym would be second. Walking proximity to shops, markets, restaurants third. We are just starting our research, so will reach out when the time is right. Thanks.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
When you say top of the line amenities, what specifically did you have in mind? Is a golf course/pool/clubhouse important? Or are you more concerned about interior features? There are several communities that meet your description so I just want to make sure I only give you the most pertinent information. For instance, you could find a very nice condo downtown close to a ton of nice restaraunts and shops, and still be within 30 minutes from the airport. However if you wanted a golf course community we'd look north of downtown. Would love to help you find your dream home, please give me a call! 919-645-7212 or e-mail ChrisG@LindaCraft.com.

Chris Gorman, Buyer and Relocation Specialist
Linda Craft & Team REALTORS
There are several excellent options that will fit your situation. If you email me, I'll send them your way and see what you think. Richard Clemens clemensr@hpw.com 919-306-4898
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 1, 2013
I hope you guys love it here as much as we do. My wife and I moved from Syracuse 30 years ago and only regret not doing it sooner. Many lovely areas with all the conveniences you are seeking. I would recommend the Brier Creek area, for it's convenience and proximity to the RDU airport, interstate 540, and interstate 40. Good luck.

Kris Burritt
The Jim Allen Group
919-602-4672
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 1, 2013
Thank you all for your suggestions. We've now got to do some more research on our own. Once we re-surface, we will reach out.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 1, 2013
Good luck with your search and potential move. Again, having been from the NE and now living here for the past 20 years, I couldn't be happier. No need to give up short trips to the mountains and also the beaches within 2 hours of here really outshine anything Long Island has to offer.
Flag Sat Dec 14, 2013
There are several options and much will depend on your preferred community and price range. For in-town living you can be in a college town like Chapel Hill or a larger city like Durham or Raleigh, though they cannot come close to the Manhattan lifestyle.

http://Www.TarHeelHomes.com is my personal web site and like others it will allow you to search all the local listings. Better yet, if you prefer to personally discuss your needs and preferences with a fellow Yankee transplant you can call me at 919-960-6332. We can more quickly discuss the various areas around the Triangle area that will be a good match for your personalities and lifestyle. Mark
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 30, 2013
First of all..welcome to the South. I am originally from the east end of Long Island ( Hampton Bays) and my wife is from what I called 'upstate' NY ( Red Hook). We've been here since 1993. There are so many nice areas here and you'll definitely notice less traffic. Living 30 minutes from the airport would be no problem. I would probably recommend areas such as Brier Creek, North Hills, Falls River to start.
May I suggest you try using the home search engine on my website at http://www.RaleighHomeSite.com . It's similar to what you find here on Trulia with the exception that it since it's fed by our local MLS, you'll only get active listings. When you find a home you think is of interest, there are demographic buttons you can hit to show you proximity to restaurants, shopping, parks etc. Once you narrow down an area or two, you can save the search and every time a new listing comes up within your defined parameters, you'll get automatically notified.

If there is anything I can do for you personally, don't hesitate to ask!!

Ernie
Northside Reakty
I do have a nice condo in NW Raleigh. I'd be glad to speak to you and give you some detail description. The link is at http://www.listinghomesonline.com.

Would you consider Chapel Hill? My husband and I are downsizing to an upscale condo in downtown Chapel Hill and our demographic is heavily represented. The complex is 140 W. Franklin St. If you are interested, please let me know as it is 85% sold out. We are 30 min to the airport, walking distance to restaurants and shopping (not great shopping, I'll be honest), cultural activities, UNC. I'm biased obviously since I chose to move into this complex.

http://www.140westfranklin.com

You'll find New Yorkers all over the Triangle. Also, people don't do a lot of walking outside during the heat of the day in the summer, though evenings here are wonderful. What I'm saying is that you'll still use your car more than you hoped.

Vivian Olkin aka CrazyViv
919-624-5479
Hi, gdlowy,

This link will show you a cross-section or rentals in Raleigh, Apex, Cary, and Morrisville:

http://www.nohasslepropertysearch.com/idx/results/listings?l…

All have 2+ bedrooms, 2+ bathrooms, and garage parking for at least one car.
Many are currently "Active" rental listings, but you can see that some are under contract, by notes that they are "Contingent" or "Pending" status. But at least you have some idea of the sort of housing available in townhomes and condos in those areas.
And you can revise the search by clicking "Modify Search," and see if you can get results you prefer.
.
Web Reference: http://RealtyArts.com
Thank you all for your informative replies. To get a feel for the area, we were thinking about renting first. Our preference would be 2+BR and 2+ bath with in-unit washer/dryer, dishwasher and minimum 1,400 SF. We do have a small dog.
There are plenty of apartment complexes you can rent from in the same areas. Our townhouse and single family home rentals fly off the market in a few days. What is your time frame for moving?
Flag Sat Nov 30, 2013
I've worked with several couples relocating from NY. We would be happy to have you here. You would be very happy in areas like North Hills, Glenwood or Brier Creek. Would be happy to answer your questions or get you in touch with other couples that have moved from NY.

Give me a call at 919-964-0732 or email at welcomehomerealtync@gmail.com
Best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. Visit http://www.naeba.org for a referral to an Exclusive Buyer's Agent in your area.

I've had a book published on Amazon called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a house without getting ripped off. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.helpubuyamerica.com
You may enjoy living in the North Hills area; it is a wonderful area with all kinds of shopping and restaurants, from casual to upscale. There are both condos and townhomes available there. If you give me a price range and a bit more information I would be glad to email some listings to you. Please feel free to contact me at bgaffer@kw.com or 919-271-1833.

Beth Gaffer, Keller Williams Realty
There are plenty of options for you in the downtown area. Condos run the gamut in price and amenities. Cameron Village also offers a great area close to shops and restaurants. I'd love to help you find a place. My daughter currently lives in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn and was a born and raised Raleigh girl.
Please call me if I can be of assistance - Susan Dahlin Bashford -- Hodge and Kittell Sotheby's 919-522-1467.
or you can email me at susan.bashford@hodgekittrellsir.com - thanks
Flag Sat Nov 30, 2013
I am happy to help you. Please send your contact information and I will send information.

Vicki Kennedy
919-201-4117
vicki.kennedy@hpwnc.com