Home Buying in Melrose>Question Details

Rich, Home Buyer in 02148

Melrose listings--negotiable?

Asked by Rich, 02148 Fri May 15, 2009

Hello, I am curious as to whether Melrose listings are generally fairly rigid, or if there is room to negotiate. I currently live a couple miles to the south (in Malden) and I am hoping to find something in Melrose not too far from Oak Grove. A few of the condos and houses in southern Melrose are just a little out of my price range, but I am hoping they might come down a little. Any chance of that? Thanks!

Answers

3
Bill Butler’s answer
Hi Rich,

Condos are more flexible in price than single-family homes right now. We're seeing virtually all single-family homes that are properly priced, sell with multiple offers - often over asking price. You may be better off to wait until late Summer or Fall for the activity to slow down on single-families. Condos are definitely easier right now.

For video updates on the Melrose real estate market, check out MelroseScoop.com.

Hope this helps!

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 8, 2012
Alot would depend on how much you mean by them coming down a litle. If your talking $10K on a $300K place possibly. If your talking $50+K maybe not. It would really depend on the specific unit & comparable properties values. Also you need to look at the reason for selling & motivation which aren't always readily aparent or disclosed. Melrose can be a wonderful town to live in, but different sections & different listing brokers makes for alot of variables. There is alot of interest in Melrose lately & for good reason.

Hope that helps,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 15, 2009
Hi Rich,

Heck Yes! Everything in Real Estate is negotiable. Recently, homes in the area have been selling within 2-5% of list price generally. There are many factors involved, not the least of which is Seller Motivation and fair market value of the property. Consult a Certified Buyer Representative who specializes in this market area (such as myself) to give you some guidance and advocacy through the process.

Call me any time with any questions, 617-755-8897.