Home Buying in Rocklin>Question Details

Tom, Other/Just Looking in McDonough, New Orleans...

Me and my fiancee are looking to move over the the US within the next 5 years. We have our hearts set on california and really like the look of

Asked by Tom, McDonough, New Orleans, LA Mon Jul 26, 2010

rocklin. We were thinking of buying a house within the next year and then renting it out (possibly to the previous owner if its a preforeclosure) and then when we are ready giving them notice etc and we move in. However neither of us really understand the whole pre-foreclosure thing. We don't know what the houses are worth etc so don't know if we should pursue houses further. Viewing the house isn't really an option as it would be too expensive to come over.

We are from the Uk

Tom and Hayley

feel free to email us at tomandhayley10@hotmail.com

P.S Green cards etc are sorted

Answers

3
Tom - Will you be requiring a loan to purchase this home, or do you have the cash available for an outright purchase? Or is there possibly a close family member who can make the loan happen?

I only ask since most home purchases are financed in some way. Though you and your fiance may have impeccable credit and great assets and income, unless your income is reported on US tax returns we can't use it for obtaining a conventional loan. There are hard money lenders that could most likely fund your loan, but the lending terms are nothing like you'd expect with using a conventional loan (rates are in the double digits).....having a close/trusted family member can provide a legitimate back up option.

BTW - you've rec'd some great advice from one of Trulia's finest in Jim Walker, keeping him in the loop with your future plans would be a excellent idea!

Best regards, Jeff Marr
Tom, Thank you for your email assuring me that you are a real buyer. I am, along with you, upset, that so many bad guys are posting and emailing these days that agents have to carefully vet legitimate buyers such as yourself.

I did not realize until you told me that Trulia requires a U.S. place name to register. I don't know why they do that.

You mentioned that a close family member will be inspecting the property that you purchase. Yes. that is a good idea, since you can't make it yourself.

In the last line of my original post, I apologized to you, if you were a legitimate buyer. Since you have emailed me to answer those questions that I red-flagged, I apologize again.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
If you are a legitimate buyer, Tom, you may have a hard time getting an agent* to believe you.

For every legitimate buyer with a story like Tom's there are a hundred scam postings with similar explanations.

The reddest flag in the question is the following statement: " Viewing the house isn't really an option as it would be too expensive to come over. "

Someone buying a $300,000 house for eventual owner occupancy, even from afar would be expected to plunk down two or three thousand for a quick trip to California to look over the house, neighborhood, and town, a bit during the due diligence period, after the offer is accepted.

"We are from the Uk" But the profile says "New Orleans"

Wouldn't a Brit also capitalize the "K" in U.K. ?

* A scamster though, would be more interested in dealing directly with a desperate distressed "pre-foreclosure" owner.

Tom, if you are legit, I apologize now. These days, scammers outnumber legit international buyers.