Home Buying in Haysi>Question Details

Julian, Home Buyer in Haysi, VA

May i purchase a house in the USA even if i live in England.?

Asked by Julian, Haysi, VA Tue Nov 9, 2010

I am thinking of buying a property in the haysi area,when i am back in England,a friend of mine is going to reside at the address,would this be allowed?

Help the community by answering this question:


Yes, you can purchase a house in the US if you are not a citizen.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 9, 2010
There are no restrictions against foreigners buying property in the US. The only issues foreign nationals run into have to do with financing. If you are a cash buyer, this does not matter. If you need to borrow, you might run into some trouble, especially since you do not going to live in it.

Actually, I guess we are assuming you are a foreign national. You could be an American living abroad, in which case it will probably be easier.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 10, 2010
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
Julian....yes, it should be quite easy for you to purchase a home in the Haysi area. Depending on your financing, you may be paying cash, it should be a stress free experience for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 10, 2010
Speak with a lender first as there specific requirements with documenation if you are not a citizen and will be financing, but yes in most circumstances you can buy a home in the US even if you live in England. As far as who occupies it that is your business unless you buy somewhere that restricts renting.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 9, 2010
This would be fine to do but you will need to speak to someone who deals with international sales.
Most regions have relatively high costs involved with people that are purchasing from out of states.

Also, note that the reason that many fees will be associated will adjust your taxes once you file for them in the US. States can be nervous about people paying their taxes while residing outside the US.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 9, 2010
You can as long as you have the correct visa along with the other traditional requirements. You may have to have a larger downpayment, but that will depend on the lender.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 9, 2010
Of course! Now if you want to FINANCE that purchase the answer gets a bit more complicated. You'll need to be ready to offer a substantial down payment and find a lender willing to finance an investment property for a foreign national. I know that Emigrant Mortgage does that type of financing but I no longer can not originate any loans for them as my present company would not allow it. You may need to be present for the closing.

Good luck!

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 9, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer