Home Buying in Norwalk>Question Details

Paul, Other/Just Looking in 60622

May be transferred to Ridgefield from Chicago. Is Norwalk to far to commute from??

Asked by Paul, 60622 Mon Aug 4, 2008

Trying to get a grasp on the neighborhoods surrounding Ridgefield-Danbury (Boehringer Ingelheim). Danbury seems very rural coming from Chicago. Norwalk seems more up our alley, but I was wondering about life in Norwalk/and commute. If transfered (will find out in 2 weeks) will need a Realtor but will also be through a relocation company.

Answers

11
YES Norwalk is too far!!! I'm from Wilton the town nextdoor to Ridgefield and know the area well and you will hate the long commute from Norwalk to Ridgefield. Don't do it! I've now lived in Chicago since 2001 and like it a lot but it is totally opposite from suburban Connecticut. It will be an adjustment to the suburban life but Ridgefield has a lot to offer and I'd recommend living there. My advice is listen to Bruce if you have not already.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 19, 2008
Hi Paul,
Though the majority of the Boehringer property is in Ridgefield, it is accessed from Danbury, 1 mile from my home, and 2 miles from my brokerage office.

This will be a considerable shock for you coming from Chicago. Let's talk about everything that's important to you, and I can advise you on all the towns from the secluded spots of Danbury, to the loft condos over the night life of Washington St., SoNo, (South Norwalk), all of which I've done business in.

If the latter sounds like an intruiging place to live, you'll need to contend with the ongoing road construction on Rt.7, a widening from 2 to 4 lanes between Norwalk and Danbury. The Danbury to Ridgefield stretch is almost complete, but there's allot to be done in Wilton, between Ridgefield and Norwalk. The upside is that you'll be doing a "reverse commute", as the majority of commuters on that road live up here in the greater Danbury area, and work in the southern part of the county, or NY.

If you don't need the entertainment in your back yard, and want to hit Manhattan, (as I do) to party, and live in a quiter enviroment, you can't beat the Danbury area. When my wife and I go to a show on Broadway, or a band at the Beacon Theater, it's just over an hour by car. We're also 12 minutes from the Harlem River Metro North rail line which gets us into Grand Central terminal in under an hour when we catch the express. We're just off 84, which takes us straight up into New England; VT to ski and Mountain Bike, and Cape Cod to the beach. We're also 5 minutes from 684 which shoots us to the city in no time. Having just started a family, we like the schools, seclusion, yard for parties, and fresh air, and we take short trips to the city. It all depends on what's important to you.

Most important to many buyers is that generally, the farther you travel north, the MORE property you get for your money, and the lower your tax liability is. For this reason, west Danbury and Ridgefield are "bedroom communities" for people who work in Manhattan, Westchester, and southern Fairfield counties. There's also a great deal of "flavor" right here on the west side of Danbury, we go to see a few bands each summer at the "Ives Concert Park", on the WESCONN college campus 2 miles away.

Do you like to get to the outdoors to ski, snowboard, hike, climb, bike, scuba, perhaps? Do you have a family, is there one in your future, or are schools important? What do you like to do when you're not working? Drop me a line at your convenience, and we can discuss what's important to your lifestyle, and I'll help you understand evrything that's available to you, how to get to it, and relative housing costs for all the communities within commutable distsnce from Boehringer.

I've been here for 9 years, and before that my wife and I lived in Ridgefield. I've done real estate transcactions in Stamford and Norwalk, and the majority of my business is here in northern Fairfield County. My brokerage, William Raveis, is a member of all the major relocation networks, and I've done relo work, so your relo through the company would probably not be any problem.

I'd be happy to chat with you at your convenience!

Bruce Lyon, GRI, ABR
William Raveis Real Estate
Danbury Regional Office
49 Mill Plain Rd.
Danbury, CT 06811

Direct: 203-994-2359
Home Office: 203-778-4778

Bruce@BruceLyonRealtor.com

http://www.BruceLyonRealtor.com
http://www.Raveis.com/BruceLyon
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Paul,

Which part of Chicago? Having lived in Hyde Park on the South Side, the change is a culture shock. The parts of Ridgefield I frequent are VERY green, typical of the large wooded lots in many Connecticut towns. (Many towns set the minimum lot size at an acre or more.) However, I don't call it "rural" because the term suggests lots of farms and a lack a sophistication -- neither of which is accurate in Ridgefield's case. You will find Danbury and Norwalk more densely constructed.

One thing is certain, you'll find a less development road network here. You'll likely spend more time off the highway in your ~30 minute drive from Norwalk to Ridgefield, which you may confirm using a mapping website.

Vincent
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Good morning. I am a Realtor covering the area you are interested in. By the way, where in Chicago are you coming from? My son lives and works in Chicago. So I am very much famaliar with where you are coming from. Norwalk is a dcent commute, especially if you are going from Norwalk to Ridgefield. Most commuters are coming towards Norwalk in the morning. So you would be doing a reverse commute. I live in The next town over from Ridgefield and both my husband and I work out of Norwalk. He;s a physician in Norwalk and makes the 20- 25 minute commute everyday. I would very much like to hear from you. Since I know the ammenities you are accustomed to in Chicago, I can help you here. The advantage of living in Norwalk also allows you to take the Metro North to New York and you are only 15 minutes from Stamford, a cosmopolitan city. You may contact me at 203-544-9786 or 304-856-8501. I was just out in Chicago for the weekend of the 4th. I look forward to hearing from you.

Candace Lipira
203-544-9786
203-856-8501
candylipira@optonline.net
http://www.candacelipira.prudentialct.com
Hi Paul, my wife and I moved to Norwalk 14 years ago from Manhattan. We selected this City because of its proximity and easy commute to Manhattan. Norwalk is a very diversified community with full amenities in cultural, education, recreation, spiritual and social outlets. Living in Norwalk and working in Ridgefield would constitute a reverse commute in terms of traffic patterns and you should anticipate a 20 min to 1/2 hour trip depending on which part of Norwalk you settle in.

Compared to other neighboring towns, Norwalk is the most affordable in terms of market prices which have remained stable in the present economy. If you are free to select your own Realtor through your relocation company, I would be happy to assist you find the best home within your price range. In the event you would like to like to work with me, I will connect you to our Listing Book program that emails you all active listings that match your living and price criteria, If you would like further information or a tour of our most desirable neighborhoods, feel free to contact me.

Larry Berger, Realty Network LLC

berger.larry597@gmail.com (203) 722-1898
Danbury is not really that rural. It is one of the largest cities in the state. Housing options range from apartments, luxury townhomes to million dollar waterfront properties along Candlewood Lake. There are a ton of places to go shopping & dine. Low property taxes from the area because of a large commerical & light industrial base.

Yes, you will not like that commute sitting on the traffic. Your best bet is Danbury or near Danbury as Bruce and Jeff suggested. Gas price being so volatile, why would you want to live far away from your work unless you have Toyota Prius? I think you will enjoy living near your work and travel to NYC or Boston or Norwalk.

Hope this helps.

Sonia Holmes
Hi:
Check out Newtown. Two towns over from Danbury. People around here work at BI.

FOR SALE or RENT:
Country Compound in SW Newtown - Buy, Rent; Rent w/Option - Circa 1790 4br, 2ba vintage country house w/vaulted master suite, orig hw fl, exposed beams, htd ingrd pool, spa, breakfast nook, and barn w/ studio/office up, workshop below. Incl separate 1 BR Cottage overlooking property. Appl's included. SW Newtown. First, last, security. Credit check. Available Nov. 1. See it at http://www.hattertownroad.com, or call 203-426-7024. $2900 + utilities.
I have a great house for sale in ridgefield, ct about 20 mins norwalk.
Hi Paul, Here's one other resource for you, my "newcomers" page: http://www.newcomers.info/lyon.html

Bruce Lyon, GRI, ABR
William Ravies Real Estate

Bruce@BruceLyonRealtor.com
Hi Paul,
First of all, "too far a commute" really depends on what is your ideal commute timeand acceptable/non-acceptable commute time. If your business is located in northern Ridgefield closer to Danbury, then your commute will be that much longer....and, of course, it depends on where you would be living in Norwalk. West Norwalk would be your closest bet but it is more suburban. If you are thinking about the Sono area of Norwalk, it would be a bit of a twist and turn up to Ridgefield.
ALso, I would ask what is it that you like to do -- is it the ability to go out and find a great restaurant, people on the street, etc.?
I understand you will not know whether this relocation is a possibility for another two weeks but I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you directly so that I can understand more of the details of your dream town...thoughts on commuting, etc.
I also understand that your Realtor will need to work through relocation -- and that is fine. Normally, if you want to use a realtor, the relcoation companies are fine with that as long as they can come to an agreement with the broker.
If you would like to share some more details, please email me at randi@huttonrealestate.com (I work with William Raveis Real Estate) or call me at 203-664-1160. I am an accredited buyer's representative and would welcome the opportunity to represent you (and your family) with your real estate needs.
Randi Hutton, ABR, GRI, SRES
Chairman's Elite Club
William Raveis Real Estate
huttonr@raveisre.com
randi@huttonrealestate.com
203-451-3455 cell