Armed Service, Home Owner in Silver Spring, MD

Maryland Homestead Tax Credit

Asked by Armed Service, Silver Spring, MD Sat Jan 26, 2013

I'm in the military and claim Ohio as my state of residence. I was informed that claiming the Maryland Homestead Tax Credit can affect my residency. Can anyone direct me to the means to revoke the tax credit?

Answers

2
Hi Armed Service,

This is a great question for a title company. We use and trust Homeland Title & Escrow in Severna Park MD. Please give them a call at (410) 544-6700 and ask for Karen. If she can't help you the next step would be an accountant. The rules are a little different for military families as well.
You can use the Maryland Home stead Tax credit if you use the home as your primary residence. The question likely was asked at settlement if you were going to use the home as your primary residence hence you were granted the credit. I can only assume you are using the State of Ohio as your state of residence for income tax purposes. You should consult your accountant.

Greg Myers
RE/MAX Realty Group
Thanks for the sound advice Greg.
Flag Sat Jan 26, 2013