Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

Pangjiangjj, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

Married couple with 2 kids, moving from Shanghai to Seattle, working close to Redmond, where to live?

Asked by Pangjiangjj, Seattle, WA Sun Jul 29, 2012

My family will move from Shanghai, China to Seattle. My husband will work in Redmond. I have one 6 years old girl and another new born baby. Our budget is around 500k. Which community do you suggest to live in?

Answers

10
hummerim’s answer
Lots of choices for you in the Eastside - Redmond, Bellevue, Sammamish. Good schools there. Some good Chinese restaurants there, but does not compare with Seattle's International District or Vancouver, BC. We moved from HK and now live in the Eastside with my family. Have a bunch of friends living around MS who work there. 你打算什么时候到达?Lake WA School District starts Sept 5 but activities begin the week before.
I've created a custom mapped area search for you that should give you a good idea of areas many people who are relocating to Seattle prefer. These areas offers top-ranked schools http://(www.searchseattle.net/schools.php) including Lake Washington, Bellevue and Northshore. Easy commute times to Redmond (under 30 minutes) and many populated suburban neighborhoods that offer a more convenient transition with many neighbors allowing you to meet and adjust to your new surrounds more easily.

Based on the information you provided I created a search to filter these areas (and for your ease it provides a map so you can see WHERE the homes are), a price range from $400,000 - $550,000 a minimum of 3 bedroom and 2 car garage. If you want to save this search you may do so and the system will just automatically forward you NEW properties as they come on the market.

Additionally, you can learn more about the cities, helpful links etc by visiting:

http://www.searchseattle.net/nw-living.php

Best of luck to you as you prepare for an exciting move!

Here is the link to your custom search: http://www.searchseattle.net/idx/search/02a32ad2669e6fe298e6…
thanks! we can communicate thru email. (pangjiangjj@hotmail.com)
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012
Hi Pangiangjj --

The areas suggested are probably your best choices -- Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland and Issaquah. It is a good idea to contact agents here and begin working with just one agent. It is also very helpful to give them information in advance on any special needs you may have for your new home -- a good agent will ask you the right questions to narrow the search to the best homes for you.

Note that here it is typical for the buyer's agent to be paid by the seller from the proceeds of the sale. In other words, the buyer almost never will pay anything to their agent.
thank you so much! I will work with an agent, sure!
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012
You already have so many good responses there is not much to add. Dan is probably closest to what I would have said. It really depends on what kind of home you want. Close in to Redmond & Bellevue, Kirkland, you will get an older home for that much money, or a townhouse. If you move out to Issaquah, you can get something new & if you move out to Bothell, you can get a very nice 3000 sq ft home for that price. The schools are all wonderful in all those areas, but there are some other things to consider as well. I am both a real estate broker & a lender, so if you are wanting a loan a well as finding a house, I can help you with that as well. Please email me directly & we can communicate by email, or phone, or Skype, or, whatever. Just let me know & I will be happy to help. You can contact me via my website below. By the way, we just hosted an exchange student from China for the last 3 months & it was very pleasant.

Good luck to you & have a safe journey,

Jirius Isaac
thank you! you may reach me thru my mail address pangjiangjj@hotmail.com I also want to know the legal processes for buying a house in Seattle.
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012
Pangjiangjj,
Welcome to the Northwest! We are fortunate to have many families from all over the world settling here. By far the biggest question most ask is about schools. I've attached a great tool to compare school districts and even compare one school to another.
Redmond is in the Lake Washington School District, which also covers Kirkland and Sammamish. These are all nice areas, close to Microsoft and many services and shopping areas.
Bellevue is close by and has its own School district. A little farther away, but still popular with many people is the Issaquah School district which covers Issaquah and South Sammamish and a few parts of Renton.
Northeast of Redmond is the Northshore School District which serves Woodinville and Kenmore.
If you have specific services or needs for your kids, check out what each district offers and start there.
Any of us answering your questions here would be happy to assist you when you arrive.
Thank you so much for your web ref. yes, school is very important to my selection criteria. I do not need too much space, but good community is very important to me. I also will focus on the future value if i sell it after 3-5 years. please contact me thr pangjiangjj@hotmail.com
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012

I just did a transaction similar to your situation with a couple from Shanghai. I would recommend certain areas in Redmond that has good schools for your child and also is close to work. You can start by emailing me and I can start sharing my expertise with you. Also I will be able to send you properties that you can start considering or gain knowledge of what is available. I will share with you the whole legal process of buying a house. Hope to hear from you soon.
Redmond has pretty good schools, as well as Kirkland, Issaquah and Bellevue. Since your daughter will be in the first grade here, and if you're intending on enrolling her in public school, I would suggest those areas. Since you also have a newborn, you might want to be around other people for a sense of community. I'd suggest Bellevue first, then Kirkland, then Redmond, then Issaquah. You'll be able to afford a decent sized home in those areas, which I imagine will seem huge after living in Shanghai!
Welcome to the States! Please email if you have other relocating questions!

Claire Newman
Windermere RE NW Inc
cnewman@windermere.com
You have several choices for good communities near to and including Redmond; Bellevue, Issaquah, Mercer Island, Kirkland, and Redmond. It all depends on your lifestyle. Do you drive? Do you like a small town ambiance, or a larger city? Bellevue is large, but Mercer Island and Kirkland are smaller. Issaquah is a bit more rural, with good schools. Will your children be enrolled in public or private schools? More information would be helpful in order to offer you advice that will best fit your needs.
thank you so much! I come from Shanghai, therefore I like city life very much. But the best priority now is to have a family-friendly neighbourhood which is best for "Babies+housewife". I will possibaly go back to Shanghai 3 years later, therefore I would choose a house which will have good value for future. can you give me your contact info?
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012
Hi there, If you'll be working on the East side I'd recommend Kirkland or Redmond so you're close to your employment. I'll be happy to assist you with your search. I'm an expert on the East side having lived there for 15 years. There are lots of options for you to choose from now but the market is moving quickly so working with an agent would be recommended.

I'm experienced with international purchasers and able to provide you with sound advice.

You can reach me via email or phone. My services are free.

Jeff Strand
Queen Anne Real Estate
206-619-3332
jeff.strand@queenannerealestate.com
Thank you so much! I wrote you a mail but delivery failed. you may give me some recommendation to my mail box pangjiangjj@hotmail.com
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012
How big of a home are u looking for? What age? How close to your work do u want to be?