Anonymous Us…, Home Buyer in Fort Collins, CO

Maple cabinets --- Dark or light cabinets

Asked by Anonymous User, Fort Collins, CO Tue Sep 11, 2012

We are buying a new two story house that is yet to be constructed. For the kitchen, we have decided to upgrade the cabinets to Maple cabinets. But having difficulty in choosing dark or light cabinets. What is the current trend? Which is more appealing to the buyers down the road? Thanks in Advance.

Answers

17
I have done numerous fix & flips and the best advice I got early on was "contrast", meaning if you're going with light cabinets, go darker on the floor & the counter, or darker cabinets would mean a lighter floor & counters.

If you're asking about Trends, that tells me you're eye is on resale. With that in mind - play it safe, i.e. don't go too far outside of the current look.

Best of Luck,

Andy Burnett
ERA Herman Group
andy@aburnettrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
Yes! This is exactly what I was going to say. It doesn't matter whether your cabinets are light or dark as long as they fit the look of the kitchen. I have light ones, but my hardwood floor is a dark cherry. Just pay attention to the overall look of the room.
Jenn | http://www.sierraremodeling.com
Flag Mon Nov 10, 2014
Go with the light cabinets, You want your kitchen to be bright and open, also the other rooms that your cabinets are in are small rooms, IE Bathrooms
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 23, 2012
Maple cabinets are beautiful! I want to get some installed in my home, you made a good decision. Personally, I prefer the darker woods. It would match the feel of my home better than the light woods. http://www.alpinecabinetsinc.com
I have seen both light and dark cabinets look lovely. It definitely depends upon the size of the kitchen, the lighting and also natural lighting, and what other components you are using, like countertops, paint colors, and flooring. A professional kitchen person will give you some advice and perhaps if you ask to see various kitchens from these professionals, it will give you further insight.
Without reading the 16 prior answers, I hope I'm not duplicating things. Most people have a preference of either dark or light but I always suggest that you go with what the home demands. Remember that dark colors tend to shrink the size of a room so if the kitchen is small, I would go with the lighter colors. It goes the other way for a large kitchen where dark colors will make it feel a little warmer. Let the size help you determine. The same goes for wood floors. I recently showed two exact same homes in a neighborhood. One had a dark oak hardwood and the first thing my buyer said to me that it was just a smaller version of the home we had just left...of which it wasn't. It just felt that way.

Good luck with what ever decision you make.
I personally like the dark color. Our kitchen cabinets are light colored right now but they are also older. The darker color seems more modern and "fancy" to me.

Will Jenkins | http://dreamkitchensandmore.com
I always think dark cabinets looks better. Especially if you can add iron corbels in same way. It helps it to look very classy.
Speaking of trends ...

The latest design that appears on Pinterest and elsewhere features dark floors and white cabinets. It's very attractive.

Most kitchens look like caves because of all those cabinets in a confined space. Space left over is usually one window.

Lighter colors certainly help - especially at the time when a home is sold. I often recommend sellers spend some money on paint and use neutral colors. But the color and even type of paint can be very important to the room to be painted. There is painting advice to be found on the Internet. And, of course, you can talk to the sales people where paint is sold, like the hardware store. In the real estate profession, you get to see more than a few homes that are not at their best - as say when the owner elects to turn off the power. Dark doesn't not sell well.

Contemporary homes with kitchens opened into a TV/play area generally feature several windows that admit that all important sunshine.

Of course, design can be enhanced with the right lighting.

If you're really in love with dark cabinets, I won't be the one to discourage you. But be advised the kitchen often weighs mightily in the decision to buy. You can still justify your whim. If you plan to stay in your home more than five years, you may be changing the look after a time, anyway.

Enjoy your new home!

Suz
When I am showing property to my clients most will love the look of the dark cabinets but many will say it makes the kitchen dark. Most buyers seem to prefer the lighter ones with beautiful countertops that show their style in either granite of quartz tops. Truthfully, either is cabinet is good but the new trend is away from granite and into the manmade tops like quartz, silestone or embeded glass. Go with your gut just be sure that it fits the rest of your home and you love it. If you love it then other people will too.
It also depends on how big the kitchen is and the type of lighting. Small space and dark cabinets can make a room look even smaller and closed in. You can go either way with the proper size and lighting.

Chris
Good advice from everyone. Don't worry about buyers down the road. Colors and trends change all the time. What I would suggest is that you pick something that contrasts with the counters. i.e. if you're picking lighter counters, I'd go with darker cabinets. I was just in a home that had light everything: light maple cabinets, off-white walls, white counters, white appliances, and nice light wood floors. It actually was a nice kitchen, but it looked terrible!!!
The current trend is dark but maple looks better in light to medium stains. If it is stained too dark, it can look splotchy. I chose maple cabinets in my home and I selected a beautiful cognac color stain. They look great with my New Venetian Gold granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. My kitchen gets a lot of light and this medium toned color looks great - warm but not overbearing. Take all of the design elements into consideration and you won't go wrong.
Oh, what fun! Selecting an overall scheme and a kitchen style is a big part of the enjoyment of the home buying experience.

For a general answer, I would say keep architectural style in mind. If you're into older homes, a classic scheme works well - but so do others. If you're set on maple, and can't make up your mind you might do some footwork.

You can always take a peek at what the local builder's designers are matching with the particular architectural style you're having built. A design store can help you with some ideas, too. Take a notebook and a camera (or even use your phone camera). The Internet is full of examples, too. The library has magazines and books that are a good reference.

As mentioned by Jared, you should be concerned with consistency with the overall interior design. Don't be concerned with what will sell well. What will sell better is an overall design that goes together.

Suz
In 2012, Interior design trends are always changing, I've observed in most recent magazines and webpages that kitchen cabinets are either medium to light.
Maple cabinets will be appealing regardless of color choice. Every buyer has differences in opinion on style and color. Some people hate white, some only want white. Some people want dark, some like light. Some people want open floor plans, others like designated rooms. You can't please everyone. In my experience dark cabinets do show every fingerprint and smudge so if you have little ones you may want to choose a medium or lighter color. Good luck and enjoy the new home!
If you're just now buying, don't worry about the next buyers. Pick what works best for you in your current scheme. Tastes and trends will change over time, no matter what you try to do about it. Depending on the colors in your home, both light or dark will work. The best you can do is match the style in the rest of the house and have a consistent look throughout. Check out http://www.houzz.com for some cabinet color schemes and ideas. Good luck!
I think that is personal preference, you choose what you like best and you will be happy.