Home Buying in Madison>Question Details

Jessica, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Madison, CT versus North Madison, CT

Asked by Jessica, New York, NY Tue Jul 10, 2007

We have been looking a Madison houses mainly between 95 and 80. Recently we have looked at some places just north of 80. Are there any upsides/downsides to buying north of 80? Thanks!

Answers

5
Hello again Jessica...

Rob makes some good points. If you want rural North Madison is a good bet. You may want to look into Guilford as well.
I live just off RT 80. important to remember 'North Madison' is a semi-rural part of town. Madison Excellent school system. Route 80 & Rt 79 RT are all close. So Hartford, Middletown, etc.are convenient off RT 80 - RT 9 or to RT 17 Travel south on RT 80 your heading New Haven way. I-95 is within a 8 minute drive and we have the best little IGA. best meats,seafood & a pleasant 'small-town' ambiance. Friendly People
Hi Jessica,
I don't know if you are still looking in Madison, but interestingly, the line between north and south seems to be inching north these days. Clearly, you get more for you dollar, the further north you go in terms of house and lot size but even in the 'south', ie. south of Route 80, things vary dramatically neighborhood to neighborhood and in relation to Route 1 and the water. The good news is that either area enjoys a wonderful downtown, great beaches and recreation, and award winning schools.

If you need more information, please contact me. I'd be happy to help, and have lived and worked in Madison for most of the past 26 years.

Bette Zollshan
Page Taft GMAC Real Estate
52 Wall Street
Madison, CT
203-245-1593x108/202-980-0099
bzollshan@pagetaft.com
Thanks Rob - that's very helpful to know about the school systems. Aside from the things you mentioned (mainly proximity to the beach and 95) are there any other things that might be downsides if we were north of 80? We are looking at properties for a second home and we do like the more rural feel that Madison has a little further north - it definitely has less of a suburban feel. Thanks again - we are about to pull the trigger on a house (after a long search!) and we just want to make sure we are making the right decision!
Downtown Madison is closer to the beach and the downtown area. North Madison is more rural. I have lived in both North Madison (421) and Downtown Madison (245) I found Downtown Madison close proximity to I95 more benefical when I wanted to get around. The school systems in the area are excellent noth or south.