Rapper, Home Buyer in West Hazleton, PA

Made an offer on a home in PA. Had inspection done. Requested repairs of some leaks and buyer agreed signing

Asked by Rapper, West Hazleton, PA Sat Apr 11, 2009

the reply to inspection report. The buying fixed the leaks except for a leak on the main water line and is now saying they will not fix it. What can I do?

Answers

10
Good idea. If he agreed to make those repairs, that's good for you. A sales agreement, and the reply to inspections are contractual obligations. If he does not make that repair that he agreed to (in writing!) you can walk away from the deal. You may also have a case where you can sue for specific performance, as he did not hold up his end of the deal. Hopefully the attorney can lead you in the right direction. Frequently once you get an attorney involved, the seller becomes more motivated to do what he has promised! Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 13, 2009
You do mean the SELLER was supposed to fix the water line?
Did he agree to on the REPLY TO INSPECTiONS form?
If he did, then he needs to fix this or the title company can hold money back until this is fixed.

You do not have to proceed with the sale if he has promised it to be done and now won't do it.
Is he saying now that we will not do this? Do you have an attorney or an agent?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 12, 2009
You can close on the home without the repairs or you can walk citing the sellers did not perform.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 11, 2009
when you go to settlement request that proceeds from the sale be held in escrow until the leaks are fixed, get a licensed plumber to give you an estimate then request that amount be held in escrow. if the seller refuses you can walk away from the deal with no downside to you. you should get your deposit back.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 11, 2009
I sure hope you have some type of representation on your side like a real estate agent or attorney. If you do not, well.....

Whenever you respond to an inspection report to get things fixed, you must always enclose what will happen if the repairs are not done. For instance, that if this and that isn't fixed, then the seller must credit the buyer x amount of dollars for the buyer to fix the repairs. Something along those lines.

You always need to cover your assets when dealing with a sale/purchase this large.

Terrence Charest, e-Pro
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 11, 2009
Congrats! I wish you the best of luck on closing the deal.
Erica Ramus
Good for you! I bet he LOVED getting that letter from your attorney :-) Good luck with your new home!
Seller is now going to make the repair. Thanks everyone.
Yes the seller. He signed the repair to inspection report agreeing to make the repair and it was in writing that it was a leak at the main water line into the home. No attorney or agent. I am contacting an attorney tomorrow.
Thank you all for replies. i would have walked away if I knew the buyer was not going to fix the leaks. I would not of had the mortgage company go to underwriting everything is completed on my end.