brittw, Home Buyer in Charleston, SC

Lots in Battery Haig

Asked by brittw, Charleston, SC Wed Aug 6, 2014

My husband and I are considering purchasing a lot in the Battery Haig neighborhood in West Ashley and building our own home (hiring a contractor). We have a healthy down payment saved up, however several questions are weighing on our minds:

1. Is Battery Haig a good long term investment with the pending I-526 extension?
2. Will "soft costs" such as soil testing, building permits, etc drain all of our cash/ render us unable to put the necessary cash down for the construction loan?
3. Are there builders in the area that we might sign a contract with to build a spec home on the lot for us to purchase at the end? (Builder Rather than us obtaining the construction loan)
4. Are the lots in Battery Haig likely to appreciate or depreciate in value over the coming years (past appraisal trends have shown depreciation- likely due to market crash, etc)?

I know these are probably uncertainties with any home building project considerations- but any advice or info would be appreciated!

Answers

3
I remember when California dreaming protested the connector saying it was going to ruin their business. Let's be honest. They don't build ugly bridges across the water. Do you look at the Tides condominium in Mt Pleasant and say, "Wow, this bridge makes that place so unappealing!!!"? I doubt it.

If anything, it will probably bring more awareness to the property. There aren't many places like Battery Haig. You are on a peninsula which means, nobody is every going to build behind you. If you purchase on the creek side, you will have an unimpeded view of the Stono. There are a couple of lots for sale there that already have docks on them.
Depending on the location of the lot you're looking to purchase, you may be pressing your luck by purchasing there. The part of 526 that will pass through there will be a parkway with top speed of 40mph. It may not be too inconvenient for some, but I do feel that the appreciation of the properties may suffer. However, this is definitely a beautiful subdivision.

Hope this helps!

Mike Limina
Carolina One Real Estate
http://www.choosecharlestonhomes.com
Unless you are able to purchase a lot with a dock/approved permit...I don't think it will be a wise choice to purchase/build in Battery Haig at this time (with the imposing I526 extension)...