Addy, Home Buyer in Sunnyvale, CA

Los Gatos with Campbell schools

Asked by Addy, Sunnyvale, CA Sat Jul 26, 2008

We are first time home buyers and like the Los Gatos area. We were wondering if buying a large townhome In Los Gatos with Campbell schools (Marshall Lane, Rolling Hills, Westmont High) a good bet?

What would be the resale value of this home? This would be our primary residence. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Answers

8
Leila S. Mortaz’s answer
Addy, we have lived and worked in Los Gatos for more that 15 years now and have seen the properties with Los Gatos schools garner much higher prices that competing properties in the Campbell school district. For instance we sold a house on Hollycrest Drive which was in Los Gatos school district for about 80,000 more than a large home which was only few blocks down Los Gatos-Almeden Rd but in Camp ell school districts.

Having said all that, we now send our daughter to a private school even though we live in Los Gatos school districts. It's all relative since even public schools in Los Gatos can't offer what the private schools are offering these days.

Good luck w your search.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 29, 2010
Addy -

Looking at the stats, zip code 95008 is up about 6% when comparing average sales price for condo/townhome in June 2007 to June 2008. Not bad at all considering the market. Los Gatos area is up about 5% over 2007.

From a school standpoint, Rolling Hills and Marshall Lane are high ranking schools. Westmont High is not as high scoring as Saratoga High or Leigh High. http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/

It would be hard to offer a simple resale value without looking at the specific complex you are interested in and studying the historical trends for that complex. That would give you the best indicator of how the value in that particular complex has held up in different markets.

Overall I would believe it to be a good investment area for a first home.

CJ
Web Reference: http://www.TalkToCJ.com
Hi Addy,

Did you buy or are you holding off?

CJ is right that in the Campbell Union High School District, Leigh ranks higher than Westmont (though both are good schools), but Los Gatos high is higher still.

No one can give you a resale idea sight unseen and without knowing which complex or the exact location of the home you have in mind. Avoid buying close to high voltage power lines, railroad tracks, freeways - anything that's an issue you can't fix.

Generally, a townhome in Los Gatos in any of the school districts can be a great long-term investment. Plan to buy and hold, not buy and flip.

I have a LOT of Los Gatos homebuyer information on the page that is linked below. Please check it out if you're still in the market to buy a home.
Not the most sought after neighborhood in LG area. Still very desirable with a LG address which
enhances your home value compared to other zip codes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 14, 2014
I just had a listing in Los Gatos Woods which may be where you are looking. I am very knowledgeable in that community. While it is always hard to predict the future these are very desirable properties. My listing got 7 offers and went for $70,000 over list price so I do believe this is a very desirable area to invest in
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 6, 2014
I see few large townhomes in Los Gatos with Los Gatos Schools and Saratoga High & Los Gatos high below last year prices. Have your agent pull them out for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 4, 2008
To Cindi - Thank you for your response to the Dallas Agent. I have experienced several responses from both out-of-area consumers and agents and I find it rather unsettling. I am a professional with knowledge in this area and would not begin to offer advise to Southern California or out-of-state consumers.

With regard to the schools and the Campbell area, CJ hit the mark. 95008 (Campbell area) is up approx. 6% in comparison. Rolling Hills and Marshall Lane are excellent schools (I have personal experience). Westmont does fall a little from Saratoga and Leigh but continues to be in the top percentile.

As for resale, an extensive comparison of the properties where you plan to purchase could give you some indication. I agree with CJ that this area would definitely be a good investment for a first home.
Web Reference: http://www.blythelkern.org
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 28, 2008
Why Buying a Townhome when you can purchase a property with huge lot and build it out.
I have a listing with Excellent Campbell Elementary and middle school located at 224 Wedgewood Ave, Los Gatos. Use me as your agent and I can Give you $11,000 commission Rebate.