Home Buying in Raleigh>Question Details

John Alexand…, Real Estate Pro in Cohasset, MA

Looking toward possible relo to the Durham/Ral NC area. Within 15 mins of Research Triangle Park what are the best towns for young families?

Asked by John Alexander, Cohasset, MA Mon Mar 5, 2012

Must have good public schools, low crime, lots of green space and nature, great dining and shopping

Answers

11
Jean (Zhihong) Fletcher’s answer
You got a plenty of choices - most cities or towns here are within 15 mins of driving. It is a great place to raise a young family in this area. It has been my "hometown" for 27 years now.

Please work with a Realtor who is familiar with this Triangle area and can share the market knowledge with you.

Jean
It sounds to me that Chapel Hill and also North Chatham County would be the answer! Chapel Hill has a great town identity with wonderful schools and is a very green focused town. North Chatham schools are good and the home prices and taxes are excellent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012
Hi John,

I moved here over ten years ago with a relocation with the company i was working with which is in the RTP area. I chose Morrisville due to the commute time. The town has grown considerably in that time with great neighborhoods, shopping, greenways, etc. Definitely a good town to consider. Please check out my website or email me for a list of homes for sale. I'd be happy to show your and your family around. Good luck.
You can look at Durham, Morrisville, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs. There is a new freeway going through that will circle the Raleigh area which is going to make everyones commute faster. Apex is a sweet town, great downtown area, Morrisville,Cary have amazing walking/running,biking trails.There are lots of incredible parks in all these areas, great for family picnics etc. Everything is pretty easy to get to in this area, Durham is a 20 minute commute from Raleigh, Cary is ten minutes, Apex,Holly Springs about 20. RTP is centrally located. I would suggest you use google maps just to get a sense of how long the commute will take. As far as public schools, realtors are not allowed to say because of Fair Housing, however look at Wake County Schools
http://www.wcpss.net/
I hope that helps. Anyone of us on these boards would be happy to help you,(we are all realtors-lol)
Please feel free to email us.
Hello
I moved here from D.C. and I love Durham and its very close to RTP, I would be happy to send you properties that match your criteria.
Michael
Well, since I have been here for almost 15 years, I'm rather partial to Cary, but truly, any town within 15 minutes of RTP would offer great places to live.
.
.
http://www.NoHasslePropertySearch.com
.
.
Hi John
I disagree with all the previous comments. Living in Johnston Co. Far out weighs Wake Co. You get more for your money and a better quality of life. Email me directly at lclanthier@gmail.com or visit my team leaders web site:
Judyknchomes.com. See for your self the difference. I'd love to help you.

Louise
Web Reference: http://judyknchomes.com
John, you probably want to be in Morrisville. Anything in Morrisville is a hop to RTP, there are Beautiful brand new and affordable neigborhoods and highly touted good schools. Understand that school assigments in Wake County is undergoing a metamorphosis, and children have the chance that they might be sent to another district no matter where you live in Wake County, but Wake DOES have the historically highest performing Schools, and equally high performing are some Chapel Hill schools in Chatham County. EIther of these areas gives you great access to parks, entertainment and fine restaurants. Many of the new neighborhoods have elaborate recreational facilities with clubhouse, pools, tennis courts gyms, etc. Just a tad to the east of that is the beautiful Brier Creek neighborhood in Raleigh with all such amenities and its own shopping village. Much depends on your price range. Look for energy efficiency in new homes - you can search at http://www.greentrianglehomes.com or can send listings based on your specific criteria.
Wise decision! Good choice!! Raleigh-Cary, NC is rated No. 1 in the top 10 Markets To Watch in 2012 by Newsmax! And Durham is the home of the Research Triangle Park and the renowned Duke University! . Raleigh-Durham has one of the most stable economies in US. And we have gorgeous weather! North Carolina is known for its lush vegetation. So, I think you will be pleased with your next move!! If you're particular with good public schools, you may want the following areas: Northwest Raleigh with Leesville Schools and the Cary Area with The Green Hope and Davis schools. Learn more about the area by going to some realtors' website. We have a link to the RTP and a Neighborhood link so you will get more information about the community, weather, schools info that will tell you the student to teacher ratio in a particular school, entertainment. etc. It even ahs info on the Great review of the Raleigh-Durham area and Guides too. Good luck!
I think Cary should be at the top of your list since it meets all of your criteria and has lots of nice areas and amenities. Let me know if I can send you some information
I would love to send you a home search and school report cards for the area. Email me, eblount@fmrealty.com :)